Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Just seeing the second goal again, there is no danger at all at the front post bar needing to block the cross that Robbo could do, VVD, Matip and Fab all looking at the ball ignoring three lads all over Trent.

So infuriating when the basics things kids know aren't done right.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

They were nowhere near as bad as people are making out, it would of been 4-3 only for some absolute world class defending from VVD near the end there.

The problem is the were given no protection from an off form Fabinho and Hendo, nobody even contesting the inevitable 2nd ball all game long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

It's 2 points dropped , dont try and dress it up any other way

I think Brentford are a good team, but we made them look better than they are. We could have scored more than 3, but so could they. Defending the way we did and the casual approach we played with, I’d say both teams got what they deserved, but they deserved more plaudits for their play, we deserve more criticism. It’s a bit strong to say we deserved nothing, but I would not have said they were lucky if they had scored a winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The LB position should be Tsimikas's based on performances this season. I'd start him Tuesday and tell him to go earn that spot for Sunday too. His corners are brilliant too, something Liverpool didn't take advantage of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Agreed and also Mane should be told to take a rest and give Taki a run of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

As soon as I saw the earlier results I just knew we were not going to capitalise today.

It's the Liverpool way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

We had one major problem,

Jones on the left of the midfeild was not great tactically off the ball so Brentford kept finding space in his area & infront of Robbo so had the postion to play then diagnol balls towards Trent, Who then was doubled up on,

Klopp had to fix that when we went 3-2

A, fix the left by putting Milner in there

B help Trebt out with in the air with Gomez or Konate,

But he chose C go 4 2 3 1 & hope to get another goal

So frustrating because the year we won the leauge we took every opportunity other teams gave us

Today we could have got 3 ahead and had some what or a free hit to play City with no fear of losing, Now we wills econd guess ourselves afriad of a loss

Post edited by yourdeadwright on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,492 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Dropping points that extend your lead at the top of the table is not exactly an issue to complain about.

It's a 32 game season now, and we start with a point lead over City United and Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Yeah thats what worries me, last year we did this too, we were 4 ahead of leicester at xmas but it really should have been 10 or 12, we slipped up when given good opportunities and never built momentum. the year we won it we punished all slip ups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Tbf to Brentford they remind me a bit of Sheffield United when they first came up, a bit of an unknown quantity. Fair play to them today they deserved the point but I think they will be found out soon enough.

Should have really put the game to bed after Jones goal but they can have no complaints. Id say a number of that dressing room thought all they had to do was show up. I think some serious questions will be asked internally after this one, wouldn't be surprised to see Robbo dropped for Kostas. Trent also seemed way off the pace.

On a side note, we need to give Mo whatever he wants.

Seeing as liverpool rely heavily on attacking fullbacks then its a no brainer thst tsimikas should stsrt as his delivery is 100 times better then robbo atm, he's been excellent any time he's played this year

Not so sure aginst City, I think we will need Robbo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

1 point gain or 2 points lost, I didn’t see or hear the game.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

1 gained for me, the Bees gave a great account of themselves and will take a lot of points off bigger teams at home this year.

That said, we were average to poor at times, wasteful in possession and should have been out of site by the 80th minute instead of clinging on near the end.

A goal up, 10 mins to go, against a mid table team, Chelsea/MU lost, 2 pts dropped for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

Def 2pts dropped today. I’ve liked what I’ve seen of the Bees so far this season, and knew it was gonna be a tough game, but really need to be beating these teams, especially when leading twice!

It was our worst defensive performance for a long time, they just didn’t gel well. Too much tinkering going on at the moment??

• Advertisement

Just goes to show how poor defenses really are these days, you play with two strikers and they **** themselves, how did back fours manage back in the day when every team had two up top, they are all so used to playing against one up front these days

Matip and virgil were run ragged by 2 bang average forwards, its embarrassing really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

There really is.

He was playing against a player regarded as one of the best centre backs in the world, and two of the best full backs in the world, plus Joel Matip. He’s 25 and a year ago he was playing for Peterborough Utd having flopped at Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ali & Fab called up for Brazil.

Bobby not called up.

If they go they may miss the Atletico game due to quarantine rules the club are expected to appeal again unless there are exemptions made for players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

We really should have won comfortably. Their keeper made some great saves and they cleared a few on the line. But our defense was all over the place as well. It is just one of those games, where their chances all seemed to find a way over the line but ours were cleared. Salah had a chance to make it 4-2 late on and it was a chance you expect him to take as well.

Brentford should cause other teams problems as well. Welcome back to PL football with fans. I do expect our defense to learn from this and we were more clinical up front, even with our missed chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Jamie Vardy didn't make his PL debut till he was 27. I'm not saying Toney will be that good but you can't write every player off if they haven't made their PL debut before an arbitrary age. Some players are late developers. He's 25 so there's plenty of time for him to push on.

I can’t remember any other striker developing in the way JV did, that’s not to say it hasn’t happened, just that it is very unusual. Toney is not JV, and as of yesterday, he is still an average striker who 3 of the best defenders in the world struggled with.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Disappointing result but I'd prefer this draw over Man U losing to Villa at home or City drawing at home to Southampton.

Not too worried, yet.

• Advertisement

Top of the league without exactly playing great thus far is a very positive sign for me. Some of our attacking play is unbelievably good we just need to start finishing chances and getting some decisions going our way.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

Looking back at the two Brentford 2nd half goals and matip really was terrible.

Completely left trent against 3 men on his own. Wouldn't mind seeing gomez or konate come in for him to partner van dijk on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Maybe the issue is they aren't 3 of the best defenders in the world any more.......

It happens,

VDV might never be the same after his injury,

Robertson seems to have regressed (not even the best left back at liverpool)

TAA is inconsistent.... wasn't even in the Top 3 right backs in England during the summer.....

But its an issue many clubs have..... No great defences in the PL bar City and Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

Jesus that's nonsense. Matip and Van Dijk have been incredible up until yesterday. I'd actually blame matip more so than van dijk for that shitshow yesterday.

Also trent can be criticised in my opinion for being left 3 against 1 at the back post not once but twice. As for your comment about the English national team, that's Southgate being Southgate.

In regards Robbo I do think he's suffering from inconsistent form and I feel Tmiskas may deserve a run in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

It's unusual but not unheard of. It was more common years ago, for example I can recall that Ian Wright, Mark Bright and John Aldridge were playing non-league football in their 20s. Aldridge and Bright were 27 when they first played in the First Division, Ian Wright was 25/26.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Would like to see Robertson rested for a few weeks, along with Bobby coming in for Mane and Jotta switching back to left. Van Dyke came up for a corner and he looked shattered, highly unusual but a revealing indicator of the stress being felt back there yesterday.

We did play well offensively and kept probing and controlling the 2nd half. Its a pity Salah was "playing with his food" by the time he had the kill-switch chance, he was positively radioactive again yesterday and an absolute nightmare to defend against.

I was annoyed about yesterday until I read comments of fans of a rival club touting Rodgers as their next leader, and I thought to myself, what a wonderful day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Toney is a handful.

We also couldn't handle the 2 up top, flick on, etc. Not ideal, but I'll forgive it.

Yesterday was a day we missed Gini, and his ability to plug gaps, and stopping opposition midfield runners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Really think it should have been Milner on for Jones especially as it just went 3-2 to shore up the midfield.

Shocked Klopp stuck with Firmino, he could have taken Mane off if he wanted him on. Said it at the start of the season, Mane's form is a huge worry. I know he's scored a few goals but his all round play is still dreadful.

To be fair Tony didnt really cause VVD or Matip as much trouble as is being made out, ye he was a handful but they managed

Both goals where Trent being out numbered & Brentford getting the lucky bounces other than that we did ok,

The 3rd goal was very unlucky it got stuck under Trent & Matip couldnt get a boot on it, Even the 2nd hit the Bar and could have gone anywhere

Jota & Salah also missed sitters

Just on Robbo people ar eveing a bit daft,

He needs a run of games now &he'll be betyer than fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Should have been more clinical at 3 - 2 but scoring three goals away from home should always be enough to win the game. Comedy night at the back, hope its a one off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'd be more concerned about the RB position than LB, I thought TAA was absolutely shocking yesterday, he can't remember him completing a successful pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

He can't or you can't? His distribution was v poor first half but improved markedly second half. I'm assuming you're facetious claiming you can't remember him completing a pass. I can remember many completed passes from him second half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Yes he was very poor and we don't have decent enough cover for Tent compared to The LB position.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

He was dreadful in that first half. For whatever reason he kept trying to clip crosses in to the box from a deep position which kept finding nobody. His free kick attempt at the end of the half summed up his contribution. Terribly lazy effort. His passing improved in the second half only because he cut out the long ball shite and focussed on keeping the ball and simpler passes.

Klopp & the lads obviously thought that the change to 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-4 whichever way you look at it, was the change to be made at 2-2. They thought that they needed to make the change to stop the overloads etc. They thought that taking Jones off was the correct change to make. That's their call.

As it happened, Jones happened to score just before the sub. Does that affect trying to prevent the overloads etc? A change still needed to be made

In hindsight, it was the wrong move but they don't have hindsight while making tactical switches mid-game like we do afterwards. I wouldn't be so critical on that initial substitution myself.

But I totally agree on the other point. Milner coming on for either Jota or Mane 10 mins after that sub was just so obvious. Needed more control in midfield again as they were being overrun. I think there definitely deserves to be some criticism here alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Good to see Klopp, Van Dijk & Jones saying all the right things after the game. All crediting Brentford and saying they’re deserving of the draw. No bullsiht.

Thought Milner should’ve come on at 3-2 to help in midfield. These things happen and we’ve had crazy defensive performances in the past and recovered well. GK and back 4 all had an off day, which is very very rare.

Tbh im not worried about defence at all, yeah Trent was a bit sloppy yesterday in the first half especially but overall we are solid in that department. The real worry for me is goals. Mo is a machine and whilst sadio has chipped in with a couple of goals thus far his general play isn't good enough. On a couple of occasions yesterday it was just a matter of a simple pass that would have lead to goals but he just looked lazy in the final product. Eventually Klopp is going to run out of patience with him imo and i think Taki deserves a run of games to prove his worth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement