Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Doris subbed off for Deegan.

Great for the latter but awful for the former who was having a good game.

17:10 would have been a fairer score, Bulls unlucky not to nab at least one score.

Great half of rugby. Seen a lot of invention in set plays from Leinster and offloading to keep the attacks progressing. Weathered the Bulls 15 minute onslaught very well too.

Big shame about the Doris injury. Thought he was having a stormer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What happened Doris?

Don't know. Premier Sport didn't show him actually getting subbed. Only acknowledgment of the change was Rule saying Doris was leaving the pitch.

Just have to hope it wasn't for a concussion. He's had far too many of those.

• Advertisement

Slightly infuriating being squeezed into only a few sections with the stadium mot at full capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 7,385 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Another score left on the pitch.

And another.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Elements of this are very impressive from leinster, they are matching the blues for physicality, sexton using the boot very well.

Pretty clear that the mistakes being made in the last 5 meters of the pitch are very fixable.

Well done Ross Byrne there in defense. Very solid on the touchline there, with Lowe's help.

• Advertisement

Hopefully that's just early season cramp for Lowe and not a muscle injury.

VDF my MoTM but I thought Ryan dan him very close. His best game in a while for Leinster. Destroyed the Bulls lineout and showed the sharp handling skills which set him apart from most second rows a few years ago.

Thought Ringrose was very good in the second half too. Some lovely offloads and excellent defensive reads to force knocks ons.

Bulls were poor and we'll have tougher tests than that. But overall that's a decent opening performance from Leinster.

We saw a lot of variation in attacks with chips over the top and some lovely offloading to keep attacks flowing. Our defence was strong and set piece solid. Ryan especially did a number on the Bulls lineout. Think he stole 4 or 5 of their throws.

The only negatives were the knocks to Doris and Lowe. And we were a bit profligate near their try line. Thought we left two or three scores out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

Solid win, lots to work on but like the way Leinster are looking to offload more to keep the ball in play and the run the opposition ragged as the Bulls looked tired in the second half. Mistakes and errors will happen but practice makes perfect.

Pros:

Lineout and maul dominated the Bulls.

Church had a great debut at tighthead

Molony definitely has bulked up and done a lot of good work out there

Ferocious defence in the 22

Cons:

Left a few trys out there

A lot of knock ons and forced errors.

Penalty count too high

Post edited by Juventu4 on

Leinster looked quite sharp for a first game to be honest. Lack of match fitness was apparent with the Bulls from the first kick (which went out on the full).

Thought Bulls looked the more dominant team the last 20 of the first half but they tired quickly in the second half. There were one or two restarts where they barely chased late on.

Sexton went well, Ryan, VDF both very impressive. Porter and Healy both won their first scrums at their respective sides. Dan Sheehan went well albeit oveplayed a bit and was inaccurate, got hooked right after that pass to touch. Lowe similarly had some highlight moments but a few poor errors also and looked uncomfortable going off. Sexton was being treated before being subbed also. Doris was having a cracking game before he went off - no word on that yet I gather. Deegan was very good when he came on, has serious pace and seemed a bit more abrasive than he was before his injury.

Keenan fielded well, ran some nice lines - himself, Ringrose and McGrath linked up well. Moloney looked impressive, had no trouble mixing it with the big South African forwards. Frawley and O'Loughin both showed up well, few errors but plenty good also.

Bulls definitely did enough to score in the first half but were comprehensively out played in the second. Will be interesting to see them at full strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Sheehan’s pass into touch was in the first half. He came off 10 mins into the second half. It was probably pre-determined. He went well though I thought, a couple of errors aside.

I’ve no idea what happened with Doris. He made a tackle, got caught in the ruck and a Bulls player landed on him. I figured he picked up an injury there. But he got straight back up, gestured to the ref for a knock on, got back in the line and had no more involvement until the end of that passage when he went off. There didn’t seem to be anything wrong with him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Had Doris not just had a good run with the ball immediately before he went off. I was at the far end but not at all sure.

Yeah am misremembering, he had a knock on a few minutes before but the pass from McGrath was low.

Forgot to mention Ruddock above - is made for games like this, got through a heap of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I don’t think so. This was all just before the Bulls disallowed try and they had us under pressure for a bit ahead of that IIRC. I was really only paying particular attention to Doris from an injury perspective right before he went off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Good performance. Luke was brilliant! Sheehan showed promise and looks the business in open play! That's a big Bok side and Leinster fronted upp very well. Healy was superb when he came on. I think he scrummaged very well. Porter was ok. I think it may take a while. Strong effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Ciarán Frawley is such a lovely cultured player

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭KH25

I could be wrong, but when Doris went off it looked as though one of the medical staff took a look at his ankle.

I think the most pleasing aspect of yesterdays game was the change of intro music.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Yeah, someone asked the head media guy at LR about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Happy with that performance. VDF deserved MOTM but could have easily been Ruddock.

I thought ROL had a good showing too, he's been the forgotten man of late so hopefully he can stay fit.

A few mistakes but plenty of attacking intent, lots of offloads and Sexton looked lively.

• Advertisement

Advertisement