Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If the Social Democrats were in Sinn Fein's place

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

While the tenements of today are not as bad as the tenements of the past (a rising tide shifts all boats is one of the infamous neo-liberal propaganda phrases) there is definitely a real hard right element within FG and Leo Varadkar is their hero. I said before on another forum that not only is Varadkar a Tory but that if he was English he would fit comfortably into one of Johnson's cabinets. If he was in one of Cameron's cabinets he'd probably have been considered one of the rightwingers. Those types hate that we even have a safety net and their ultimate agenda is to destroy it and let the rich continue to get richer. Sure, we've already sold most of the country to vulture funds, might as well close the deal. They look at the UK Tories with envy and seek to emulate them. Fortunately, as another poster said, 'Paddy ain't thick' and voters, even a % of FG voters, aren't buying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

You said people who work hard avoid SF. The majority of the electorate voted for them. I thought it was a pretty ignorant comment. People who vote SF at one time voted FG or FF going on the numbers. I think its out of order to insult people because of how they vote. The idea that people who vote outside of FF/FG are not hard workers or looking for free stuff is civil war party propaganda. Its losing its luster thankfully, as numbers of those stuck in the housing crisis grow. Especially with Varadkar quipling about the bank of mum and dad and one persons rent being another person's inome. Tone deaf.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

What I said was

people who worked hard all their lives are scared of SF as they could potentially scare away a lot the wealth in the country and rebuild modern day Ballymuns, Neilstowns and Darndales

not what you and the other guy keep saying I said. And the majority of people did not vote for SF. They got around 25% of first preference votes in 2020.

You're offended. I get it. I refer you back to the video clip I posted. Goto 3 mins 30 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'm not saying it would be anything great in practice, I'm saying it's the dream of all, or nearly all, left-leaning voters. While there might a few doctrinally pure PBP TDs and members for whom an SF-led broad left government would be nowhere near left enough, the vast majority of their voters wouldn't see it like that. The prospect of having a government not involving FF or FG would be such a holy grail for them it would be absolutely worth whatever compromises were required to make it happen.

I'm just tired of that perception. It has no basis in reality its just something people say. You made a variation of 'people who like to get up early in the morning'. I don't know where any party gets off with that TBH. More people voted SF than any other party. The numbers alone show a lot of them hadn't voted SF in the previous election. We are a nation where a lot of votes float. I honestly don't know why anyone would vote FG/FF.

It's the government giving privately leased apartments instead of better value social builds. If I wanted a D4 apartment while on welfare, I'd vote Fine Gael.

• Advertisement

I think any government that moves away from leasing or buying, will improve housing immensely.

Its a pyramid scheme. The solution is feeding the problem..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

You are grasping onto the result in a revolt election as some sort of indication of teh superiority of SF. If you understand a revolt vote it had nothing to do with teh party you voted for but just the party you didnt

Hence why you have a number of SF TDs got voted in and only afterwards did people realise who those TDs actually are

Plus the reason you will find people find it strange is SF ran on the campaign of people earning decent money should be taxed more, anyone over 100k a year would be highly taxed to pay for everyone else. Now you could say two reasons why people voted for that 1. Most people didn’t care as it was revolt and never expected them to get into government 2. People had no problem after years of education and hard work giving away more of their wages for the good of someone else

I will let you decide, but in terms of why people would vote for FF/FG then I would suggest you read all the manifestos and it’s crystal clear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Much like your refusal to engage in detail in the other thread about low paid workers "not paying their fair share", you don't have any grasp of detail on this matter either. If you took a read of SF tax proposals in their 2020 manifesto, your hypothetical worker on 100k would in fact not have his/her headline tax rate change (tapered tax credits yes*).

And much like your contributions in the other thread, you use nebulous words like "taxed heavily". Leaving aside the 100k worker not having their headline tax touched under SF policy, what does "heavily" even mean to you?

* Please note tapering of tax credits was previously FG policy but at a much lower level of 70k, but was mysteriously abandoned in favour of retaining USC.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

I just read that manifesto. I like how they claim they'll use "sustainable tax revenue" to fund all their billions in spending increases when the only tax increases will be to single earners over €140k and some increases to capital gains for companies. Along with the afore mentioned tapered tax credits of course. So about 22.1 billion in extra borrowing spending, barely any tax increases and they'll also be reducing the national debt apparently. FF of the early 2000's had nothing on these guys when it comes to give away budgets.

There were a few "right-wing Brussels bureaucrats" mentions in there too for good measure which fills me full of confidence.

I suppose what I'd say to that is, if there are tax rises to be had, morally and economically, north of 140k (or further north of that if it suits you) really are the only places to put it. Anyone earning circa 80k or below really can't take much more squeezing, and cost of living is the main limitation on this.

The predictable riposte that picking on craythurs on 140k and above will spook investors and seeing the wealthy (a moveable feast as a concept) fleeing to Malta or wherever. The jury has long returned on that front, research shows definitively wealthy people overwhelmingly leave jurisdictions not because of tax rises, but because of quality of life issues - and Ireland has quality of life issues to bate the band and underinvestment in key areas of our economy and social infrastructure. For instance, a much-reported barrier to attracting executives to Ireland is not tax or the fear of tax rises - that's a priority well down the list, it's in fact the reality we don't have enough high-quality international schools and securing housing close to the ones that do exist.

We need to spend and we need spending in the right places, which was rather the point of SF's manifesto.

The much talked about fiscal space and Paschal's patented prudence is really a quaint concept in 2021 when we see Leo promising to bung no strings attached money to all and sundry (with no tax increases mind you), so SF's 2020 manifesto looks positively Tory in comparison. It's amazing how a party that made such a sanctimonious virtue of being fiscally conservative in the most favourable borrowing environment in the last century completely abandons it without comment when it suits them.

To repeat, and many an economist (including the likes of the IMF and ESRI) come down firmly on this point, Ireland needs to borrow while the going is good interest rate wise to plug infrastructure gaps and improve the structural failures in our economy. FG are only catching up now, SF were there in their 2020 manifesto.

• Advertisement

Ah now here. The world we live in now is completely different one compared to what it was when that document was written. We're going to spend like crazy now mainly because there is no other alternative and there is excess capacity in the economy due to covid which can hopefully be stimulated by counter-cyclical spending. SF were proposing pro-cyclical spending in an economy that was nearly at capacity. Think Greece pre-2008 rather than Marshall Plan.

FF rightly got the blame for overheating the economy while removing the pillars of a stable tax base so I don't see how anyone who blames FF for that can even contemplate voting for a party that proposes doing basically the exact same thing. Except FF had budget surpluses and we had very little debt at the time, SF would have to finance this with borrowing on top of a mountainous debt pile.

As for what's happening now, we can borrow this cheaply while spending this much only because the ECB is buying our bonds but our debt level to GNI* should scare the living **** out of people.

SF weren't ahead of the curve or about spending in the right places as you suggest. They were about throwing as much cash as possible in all directions and reducing taxes on the vast bulk of the population. It's naked populism and it's hard to defend it as anything else.

I don't argue that the system doesn't need to change, but based on that manifesto SF are just offering exactly what we had before, only more of it with all the problems that brings.

You'll have to be pulled up here on your characterization of 'reducing taxes on the vast bulk of the population'. Tax decreases were almost exclusively confined to those under 30k with the removal of USC, a cohort of taxpayers that barely move the needle in terms of tax take in any case. That's not the 'vast bulk' by any reasonable measure. Non-progressive taxes such as the USC on the less well off are egregiously unfair in any case and this is a section of society that could do with the boot of USC being removed from their neck. Calling that populism is a value judgement on your part and I'd submit it's tainted by political predilections.

The increased tax take from the 140k and upwards cohort was significant, and the rule was ran over that by D.O.F officials as with all other party budgets. So I'm afraid you're in the realms of mischaracterisation there. Whether you think that's a stinging insult to those on 140k and upwards is a political value judgement again I'll leave you to make yourself.

And to boot, the IMF mission to Ireland which recommended going to the well and borrowing criticised the prudence before all else attitude that took hold over the previous 5 years or so, noting that we were out of line with peer countries where we could have comfortably borrowed and serviced the debt, but chose not to even when it was economically desirable to do so. These comments are worth paying attention to from a serious (and reflexively conservative in case you need reminding) financial institution. Ireland was one of the countries most in the grip of the Swabian housewife austerity mindset - pennywise and pound foolish was the ultimate charge laid at our door.

What's happening now is not counter-cyclical spending FYI if we take a look at headline GDP figures.

Thanks, very few bothered to read it and once you do then you realise it a pile of poo. Whenever the next election rolls around Sinn Fein will have huge focus on them. Not like last time when everyone just spent the entire time review FF/FG, remember SF was so far back after the local elections they didn’t even invite Mary Lou onto the leader debate at the start

One of the TDs posting the other day how SF would hire hundreds of new consultants into the HSE, was quickly discovered to be noise as 1. He had no idea how to get all these consultants and 2. The policy of taxing high earners like consultant would actually end up with more leaving than joining

Sijn Fein are excellent example of populist politics, tell you what you want to hear

Post edited by dudley72 on

As usual any discussion into Sinn Fein results in “something something FG something something”

If the best they can come up with is, well look at what Fg are doing then might as well vote for FG because at least they came up with some plans, not just hurlers in the ditch, if we want them just vote in the best at that, the Healy Rae clan

You mentioned the other thread, so when I mentioned on it a certain class pays the majority of the tax and you went off on a rant, now you just said that people under 30k don’t pay much tax. So you are saying the exact thing I said, thank you for agreeing with me

Difference is I said everyone should pay their fair share, whatever that is in terms of 💵

You'll need to read it again. It clearly says they'll abolish USC on the first 30k earned, not abolish only for workers who earn up to 30k. So that's a tax decrease on all workers except for those on over 100k. Never mind the complete removal of the property tax which will on average benefit the wealthy more. As I said, populist and hard to defend as anything but.

Current spending is not counter-cyclical to our meaningless GDP figures but it is to the domestic economy but then, you already knew that. I don't know how anyone can read that document and not see it for what it is.

You can't deny the decline in support for the crooked FF/FG parties made up of liars and crisis makers.

If it was a protest vote how will things fare next election having gotten worse?

Every vote is a protest vote. If I'm tired of FG there's many other parties. We use to have FF as an alternative :)

Point is assigning negative stereotypes to voters, especially protesting ones, is ignorant and shows an unwillingness to accept FF/FG don't suit everyone.

Political discussion mentions government party in power for ten years shocker.

FF/FG followers can't hide behind sinn fein anytime it gets awkward.

Sure roll out the troubles, the public love that when paying over the odds for rent and dreaming of buying, while listening to liars explaining why they made up crony jobs for friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,665 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Holly Cairns wants a majority female parliament, not very inclusive towards half the popluation of the country.

Wonder what Gary Gannon thinks about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

She is one of the few shows a hell of a lot of promise. We could do with more like her.

If they ever go in with the Greens she'd want to watch her back with Brian Leddin skulking about. He doesn't talk kindly to ladies with opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,665 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Could we?

Suggesting a majority of one gender in the Dail regardless of ability doesn't seem like the way to go to improve things but it must be party policy when she's saying it.

The Dail does need more women in it but I doubt it will happen anytime soon. Any woman that does get a position seem to be treated with twice the amount of abuse her male equivalents get. of course hidden under "it's not because she is a woman....." line

The public has to change before the Dail will change

You can prove this of course?

Treating women as equals and not using them for an agenda would be a start.

Just read your post and it proves it.

A women seemingly is only used as "an agenda" according to you. Maybe, they are just very good at their jobs, you ever think that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

A women seemingly is only used as "an agenda" according to you.

I can't see where, "according to" the poster you quoted, that "a woman was only to be used as an agenda"

Are you deliberately misrepresenting posts again? Is it easier to counter some of your own, made up nonsense than what other posters actually post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,230 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It happens all the time on here. There have been posts that have been misogynistic in tone against nearly all female politicians, from Mary-Lou McDonald to Mairia Cahill, from Maria Bailey to Katherine Zappone.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

In what sense did FG 'fook up the country'? They took up the reins after FF bankrupted us. FG have questions to answer on decisions they made (as would anybody) but let's not pretend they were the ones who flew the plane into the mountainside. Doing so is completely dishonest, if honesty is something you think is important in a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

That's a strange way to apologise for misrepresenting a poster, but never mind. You also should do some sort of basic research into the meanings of words like 'majority' and 'electorate'.

• Advertisement

I would hope traditional issues such as the treatment of women in the armed forces would be addressed. We hear of reports published decades ago left to gather dust only to see new similarly toothless reviews set up without engaging with victims, again. Coveney is in charge of overseeing it's implementation. He's damaged goods in my eyes.

I think a big problem is FF/FG not wanting to recognise problems their parties created. Rather ignore or kick them down the road. New parties in power wouldn't have that problem.

A term or two without FF or FG might allow for some clearing out of cronies.

Advertisement