Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

Perfect! That's what I was thinking, but wanted to see if anyone knew for sure. I'll make sure there's enough for two payments just on the off chance anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Blaa.boy

Hi has anyone experience with using a broker but they only will apply to one bank rather than a few. I applied to separate bank that I was told would not accept my application from broker myself and got approved with better deal. What way would it work if I didn't use the broker as they were only working from commission from bank? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

My guess is its in the brokers interest for you to draw down (and possibly stay with the relevant bank a few years) and so they will try and convince you to apply through them. Also, its more hassle for them to manage several applications considering they'll only get one commission fee, so I expect they'll go with whatever bank they think is best for you, and if that doesn't work for whatever reason they'll try the next.

Nothing at all stopping you going on your own to the bank - although I'm not sure what happens if you applied to the same bank the broker has applied to on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Got approval in principle and found house now that I am interested in.

If I combine My savings (-10k for misc. fees) + HTB approved sum and substract that from house price,

I end up only needing 80% of the amount that I got approved for mortgage. (about 40k less)

So I am wondering -

1) is it better to use all my savings and get lower mortgage amount and then take out personal loan for furniture, floors etc...?

2) Or is it better to use full approved mortgage amount and keep some savings for furniture, floors etc.?

Seems like using lower amount than approved is better (since mortgage is for 35 years) while personal loan will be paid off much quicker?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

You're likely to be paying a higher interest rate on the personal loan though. How much are you talking about?

• Advertisement

I am not sure yet but I would estimate it about 12-16k (I have no idea yet as this is my first time buying a property and it will be a new build with nothing but painted walls in it)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

If it was me, and this is what I did do when moving in to an empty shell new build, I would go with option 2 simply because mortgages are one of the cheapest ways to borrow money. And if you have a fixed rate even better.

In this case full mortgage amount + HTB Amount + 5k of my own savings pretty much covers entire purchase and I am left with a lot of funds to lay-down the floors, do the walls, buy furniture etc...

Thanks for this, somehow I always thought that keeping mortgage amount as low as possible is the best way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Mortgage is the lowest loan ever. And if you finish everything and have some money left, so you can pay off part of your mortgage. So take such mortgage, which allows to do it for the lowest cost.

Bank took almost a month to process loan offer (“backlogs”) and now want updated documents because they consider 30 days old too old for salary certs etc.

They don’t make it easy..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Spooch

Went to sign the loan offer with our solicitor when he noticed the address was off by one extra letter. Never even copped it ourselves. He had us sign the documents anyway and is including a letter to the bank to state the correct address, but he reckons there's a chance they'll have to reissue the loan offer again and I could really do without the delay. Has anyone had this happen before?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭ec18

go with option 2, you'd also be surprised if how fast that 16K will disappear into the house. Is there a kitchen included?

The cabinets, top and everything yes (just no appliances)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 qwerty67

Whats the best way to handle problems that came up in survey report?

Surveyor said everything was "fine' and no major issues but noticed some internal and external cracks in the wall and fire proofing required in the attic.

Do we bring this up to our solicitor or the estate agent?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

If he says there are no major issues and you look to get money off, then some vendors I hear are just going on to the next bidder. without even a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

That sounds like a fairly standard survey, assuming the fire proofing isn't a massive issue (if the surveyor says things are "fine").

Unless there's a major issue that's going to put other potential buyers off, I don't think many vendors will entertain a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭raxy

Mortgages are not the cheapest way to borrow money. They have the lowest interest rate maybe but on a much larger amount. It will cost more in interest to get a larger mortgage than to borrow separately at a higher interest rate. That's not to say he shouldn't do it this way though. Some banks will not lend after you draw down a mortgage. When I bought we found out after moving in that we would need to replace out kitchen & then later found out the entire heating system needed to be replaced. Asked the bank for a loan & they refused, said we had to wait 1 year after drawing down a mortgage before we could borrow again.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Has anyone had any experience with AIB lately? I've gone Sale Agreed on a house on Tuesday, and they have yet to respond to any of my questions about moving forward with the Mortgage they approved in principle. Are they always this slow to respond? My only dealing so far have been during the AIP phase, which they were usually responding to the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Iris11111

All depends on the speed all parties will react. Sale agreed 15 June and keys today. In the meanwhile in July everybody went on vacations and we got 5 days delayed by the bank with drawdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Congrats!

We went sale agreed on the 7th of July and are getting the keys this day next week, so the whole process will have taken almost 3 months. The summer holidays definitely don't help, although it's hard to avoid holidays at all with such protracted processes, I remember on my last sale Christmas got in the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 MyUnicornWorld

Looking for some advice please. Currently bidding on a house priced at 685k.

I feel it is underpriced for the area, there was a lot of interest.

Current highest bid is 785k (100k over asking). There are 3 of us still bidding. It had been going up in 5k increments until now but 2 most recent bids were 2.5k increases.

Should I

Bid 787,500 (2.5k increase)

Bid 790k (5k increase)

Bid 800k (15k increase)

800k is near the top of what I am willing to pay but I hope this would show I am serious and maybe cause the other bidders to drop out.

Thanks for any advice. I have lost 2 bidding wars over the past few months so feeling quite disheartened with it all. Last time the winning bidder went up in bigger amounts than the others which is making me consider this strategy.

This isn’t ‘advice’….rather just what I did.

i was buying a cottage in a lower price band but had gone 20% over asking with 4 bidders still in. I continued to always bid to the next €5k round number…..whether that was a €2k increase or a €4K increase. Someone made a big jump, I’d take it to the next €5k. Immediately. Likewise if someone made a small increase id take it to the next €5k.

I thought, with no scientific basis whatsoever, that the speed of my counters, and the fact that I was bidding to the next round €5k number, made it seem like money wasn’t an issue and I was going to keep going no matter what

Probably nonsense, but everyone dropped out and was still well within my budget

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LMESS

How concerned should I be if the apartment I am about to buy is part of a block that has known windows water leak issues? A survey was completed on the block few years ago and the then owner of the apartment said that the apartment wasn't affected by the issue. All in all the report found this issue in about 20% of the apartments.

I will get a surveyor of my own but is the above issue enough to cancel the purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

That issue on its own might not be a showstopper. But it could be indicative of poor construction quality in general which could include fire safety issues. Fire safety issues are absolutely rampant in apartment developments in Ireland and in the majority of cases where they come to light, the owners foot the bill to the tune of 10s of thousands of euro each.

You should have your solicitor do get as much info out of the management company as possible - for example did any other problems come to light as part of that survey, why was the survey undertaken in the first place, does the management company have the resources to fix the issues raised.

I'd urge caution because apartments in Ireland are a timebomb in terms of fire safety issues coming to light, and it's a game of musical chairs really because if you own the apartment when they come to light, you'll either have to stump up and pay for them or sell your apartment at a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MyUnicornWorld

Just wondering - what does evaluation entail?

I found a house I like in Co. Sligo (While applying for mortgage while living in Dublin) and put down the deposit on that property.

It's a brand new build so qualifies for HTB.

The AIP from lenders approved me just 30k short from the house cost (which HTB and small portion of my savings will cover).

My fear of "evaluation" is that they will evaluate the property and say - it's not worth the advertised amount, it's worth 40k less so lenders will change their mind and approve me for way less. (It's a new build in rural area, part of 20 house estate-extension project)

1) Is that a possibility or is that not how it works?

Also side question:

2) How can they evaluate a property that's been half built (The structure and outside is done but internal walls are still just wood planks with no walls), Will they just look at floor plans or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

It is how it works but it's very unlikely that your valuation will be off the agreed price, particularly for a new build.

Valuation estimates market value, if 20 houses in a new housing estate all sold for 300k, then 300k is the market value.

I think they do another drive by valuation when the house is built, before drawdown just to confirm they didnt build it sideways but it's very unlikely to be something to worry about.

I would be more worried about the bank realising you live in dublin but the house is in sligo unless your job is fully remote/ you've a guarantee of a transfer.

My company has has office in Sligo, so it's 20 minutes drive (visited it after viewing, met the team and hanged out for a bit) so I don't think it will be an issue in terms of work continuity.

Will lender look for some sort of proof for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

Some do, some don't. There was a spate of lenders querying and in some cases refusing to lend where the commute would be over an hour and a half each way.

If you've access to an office nearby they'll be easily appeased if it does arise.

• Advertisement

Any idea - How will they do evaluation if the property isn't completed yet?

It has the outer structure, roof, outer walls, windows, doors but once you walk inside - it's just temporary stairs and wooden beams for walls, (there are no internal walls yet)

Advertisement