Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,365 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Yep corner was atrocious. That’s a shocking way to send a champ out even in the last couple of rounds. It’s as though they wanted him to avoid the ko rather than keep the belts.

Some of the talk here is a bit premature. Joshua did put a few dents on Usyk. There was a round or two in it at the end of th e9th imo and thenUsyk did take over. But Joshua did get some decent digs in.Part of me thinks that a proper coach and corner would greatly improve him.

I heard the brilliant calls too. They were saying that when Joshua was just standing there. He;s been surrounded by too many yes men for too long in addition to other limitations that the corner can’t do much about.

He will 100% be back and I wouldn’t bet against him becoming a belt holder again. (I am aware my betting calls didn’t come in tonight). He was poor tonight and in patches did ok. He didn’t go out on his shield and he should have. He met a wonderful boxer who produced the performance of his life. Lots of split second things could’ve gone his way but didn’t. He’s a huge threat still.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,597 ✭✭✭✭walshb

AJs problem tonight night was desire. He had next to none…I kept waiting for him to give it a proper go!!

Usyk had plenty of it, and wanted to win..

The lack of desire and urgency throughout from AJ was truly bizarre.

He also looked completely disjointed and awkward. I know he can be upright and stiff, but by jaysus tonight he took it to a new level

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

His biggest problem was the man infront of him is better than him in every way possible to be fair. Could give Joshua all the desire in the world and he's still not getting the better of that fight.

He's also been quite visibly spooked as a fighter since the first Ruiz fight. That killer instinct he had previously is long gone. There was only ever one winner tonight. Just levels between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Reminded me a bit like Holyfield / Tyson, they could fight 20 times and the result would be the same.

Uysk is on a different planet to Ruiz. The notion that a rematch would result in an AJ win is nonsense in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,369 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think the last time I seen that speed and activity level in a heavyweight fight was back when Tua fought Ibeabuchi.

I absolutely recognize Usyk’s role here..

But right from the start AJ fought with very little desire and passion. He just looked awful

Coming out for round 4 he looked like a man wanting out..and it wasn’t like the fight had even started.

The Ruiz point is spot on. I just wasn’t expecting that it had crippled him that much. He looked a novice like cripple last night

Speed and activity and commitment was very one-sided. I rated last night’s fight as a 6.5/7/10…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Think this shows just how average joshua is, he talks about boxing iq and stuff but he doesn't have it, think this lays bare what fury would actually do to him, Like usyk, funny guy so happy for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Yeah Aj doesn’t have a good boxing brain at all fury and Usyk are brilliant at changing things up during a fight

usyks movement was just brilliant while Aj was stiff as a board last night and looked lost from start to finish, I think Usyk let Aj back into the fight in round 4/5/6 so he would relax and then Usyk could land a few more clean shots

I didn’t expect Usyk to wobble Aj like he did and just goes to show what a good boxer can do against Aj

The internet isn’t for everyone

Is a bit of a shame that we missed out on all that Fury-Joshua build up and the chance to witness Fury absolutely battering Joshua any way he liked. Was always one of the easiest big fights to call.

Fury-Usyk is fascinating. I think Fury just has a bit too much ability to use his size but he has had his struggles against smaller guys in the past. Would be absolutely brilliant.

Style and size wise I think Fury is a terrible one for Usyk.

Fury won’t fight scared sh1tless. He can win long, mid, and in close his 260 lbs would maul Usyk…

Definitely a bad style for Usyk but I don't think Usyk is exactly what Fury would want to come up against either. A far more skilled and mobile southpaw than Otto Wallin who gave Fury plenty of problems. It'd be competitive for sure imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I loved it.

Watching a game plan being applied to perfection was great to see.

Likewise Wilder\Fury II.

I know you blame Joshua for losing or the fight being not great.

You're doing Usyk an injustice.

Joshua was outboxed, outfoxed and giving a boxing lesson by Usyk.

You need to stop being so stubborn and just admit you were wrong about Joshua! 😁

Fury is the top heavyweight, i think you will agree to this now.

When did I ever not? Picking AJ and Wilder over him doesn’t mean he’s not a top HW

On last night’s showing I’d absolutely back Fury to beat AJ. I think Wilder can beat AJ as well

But let’s give AJ a chance to regroup..

Fury still has a very dangerous fight Oct 9. Not a gimme at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

This is exactly what he should have done for this fight. I couldn’t believe that he leaned down to try and out box one of the best boxers out there. Mental decision. I know being heavier means he’d likely gas early but if the fights over early you don’t gas. He was never going to out box Usyk.

ah man, you have picked against fury i dont know how many times at this stage,the top heavyweight not a top heavyweight is fury.i think wilder 2 though changed your opinion of fury. This result will focus fury even more now so i expect the same result but wilder does have that bomb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

To be fair to Fury he seems to be in a very good head space at the moment.

Looks like he’s matured and wants to box at the highest level.

He’ll have enjoyed that last night. Watching a boxing masterclass.

Usyk will be the first proper fight he’s had in a long while.

I reckon the tactic was to box with him and keep it close presuming they'd get a close decision on the cards. Joshua was somehow up on the cards after 8 rounds. Just couldn't find that extra gear down the stretch to keep with Usyk though.

I actually think the tactic they went with gave them the best chance. At the end of the day, Joshua couldn't pin Joseph Parker down. There was never much of a chance of him pinning someone like Usyk down and stopping him no matter what his weight or tactics were. Beaten by the better man.

Wrong about Joshua?

I picked him to win, as did the majority.

I thought he was a disgrace last night. Very poor. Usyk’s showing doesn’t completely explain AJs

Of course, Usyk was good. I have already said this. He used great feet and overall defense, and came to win.

AJ is not a great HW in historic terms. I have never claimed he was. He is a top HW in today’s game, but the division , outside of a few of them is weak.

Not with you..

I picked against Fury several times. Big deal. Many also picked Wilder and Wlad to beat him. Doesn’t mean Fury is not a top HW. He is.

Would you not think he is the top heavyweight? Picking against him so many times show you are either a bad predictor fights or you simply want fury to lose.

Oh I do want him to lose.

Right now on form he is number 1

Can’t think about Ibeabuchi without feeling sad. What a fighter he was. Astonishing.

well thats fair enough, happy you agree he is number 1. I remember sitting in pub watching furys first fight, he was stone wall useless, the move from defensive peter fury has been a godsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

What are you trying to say?

That you were right or you were wrong? 😂

You shot me down yesterday when I suggested that one of the ways Joshua might try to win was jab his way to the final bell.

I must admit hearing the advice from the Joshua corner telling him to be smart with the jab did raise a chuckle inside several times.

I think Mr. Walsh, that both you and AJ, need to look in the mirror and realise that neither of you are that good! 😛😂

• Advertisement

I’m not sure about putting on more weight but Joshua didn’t impose himself at all. In Round 5 he tried one roughhouse tactic and the look of disdain from Usyk was palpable. That was the moment Joshua needed to shout f**k you if you don’t like it this is the big boys and try to steamroll him. Chisora is so limited but at least he employed the only tactics that might just lead him to a win. Joshua did very little. I’m not sure I buy that he had no desire, he took a serious beating in the 11th and 12th and didn’t look for a way out I think he deserves some credit for that. Listening to Rob McCracken shouting brilliant and there you go over and over again borders on negligence for me. Joshua did have his moments with some decent work to the body and he caught Usyk a few times. Usyk took it so much better than I thought he could. A legend.

Advertisement