Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryder Cup 2020 [Official Thread!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Fierce late on this, but Berger and Koepka should be ripped out of it for their blatant cheating attempt today. Wont make a difference to overall result, but pathetic. Take the penalty drop if you're concerned. Prime example often aren't liked all that much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭redarmy

Sunday's singles line up @RyderCup:

Schauffele vs McIlroy

Cantlay vs Lowry

Scheffler vs Rahm

DeChambeau vs Garcia

Morikawa vs Hovland

Johnson vs Casey

Koepka vs Wiesberger

Finau vs Poulter

Thomas vs Hatton

English vs Westwood

Spieth vs Fleetwood

Berger vs Fitzpatrick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

A lot of this is pot luck I believe, but putting McIlroy out first is weird!

I hope i'm tempting fate!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Those pairings give some faint hope I suppose, in fact I believe you might win the session if not the Cup. It will be very warm and not overly windy, a south wind of 10-15 mph that might be sort of variable and swirling around at times.

I am inclined to cheer for Europe in this despite being only a few miles from the border or perhaps because of it. Some of those fans have been a disgrace for sure but this is the trend with this event recently, I kind of prefer the sort of atmosphere they had back in the day. At least some of the U.S. golfers have stepped in and tried to moderate the behaviour. Surprised to see so many packed in together, in nearby states and parts of Canada there is a full-blown fourth wave of COVID going on.

Feel badly for Rory McIlroy, he seems to be in a bad place right now, and he's not a bad guy compared to some pro golfers who are first class a-holes (and this has sort of shown itself here). Just one or two, the Thomas vs Hatton match could actually require police or possibly military intervention.

Those pairings actually worked out fairly well, if anyone can beat Morikawa (other than Rahm) it might be Hovland. If anyone can ignore de Chambeau it would be Garcia. Weisberger probably knows nothing about Koepka which is good, he won't be very distracted. If Westwood could beat anyone on this team it might be English. I heard a good joke ... the reason the USA are winning is they only have one English man on the team. You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭techdiver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Hindsight is always a great thing and people like Bjorn would be well reminded of that when they come with the daggers out.

Paddy can be rightly criticised for some of his pairings and indeed his selection of Westwood, the pairing of Westwood and Fitzpatrick, the over reliance on McIlroy and Hatton going back out yesterday but at the end of the day this was a better American Team that never really left the door open at any stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

In all my years watching the Ryder cup I've never thought about how the singles match ups are decided! Are they picked at random? What level of control do the captains have?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Captains just pick players 1-12 based on how they want to send them out.

That doesn't really make sense

There's no way that their two ordered sets of 12 would match up

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

westwood wasnt selected. He qualified for the team on merit.

The mistake with Westwood is he had his son carrying for him. When he has the wife on the bag he does a lot better. He and the son are not a good combination and the quicker he realises it and makes the business decision the better for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

That’s exactly how they do it. Each captain picks a player to play each match without knowing who the other captain has picked and that’s the pairings. Then announce them from match 1 to 12!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

the captains decide what order their own players go out in.

Sticking mcilroy out first is akin to sticking seve out first in his last ryder cup. He'll probably be beaten but maybe he might have all the rough chopped down first for the rest of them

Ah yeah I was way overthinking it. They have no input into who they are paired up with.

Bit of a pre coffee (s) moment for me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Speak Now

It makes perfect sense, the first on USA sheet plays first on European sheet. Its the exact same as previous days, you pick player(s) for match number without knowing the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭Xander10

Can only presume Harrington either had the order picked last week or he's hoping that some sort of Lazarus like return to form for McIlroy proves a catalyst for the European team.

But another 4&3 and the score going to 12-5 isn't going to do much

It's going to be interesting to see how Rory responds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

It could also be an almost double bluff from Harrington. His only strategy is to top load the order, Stricker knows this and would have been likely to top load also, to both counter and to get it over ASAP. The way Rory is playing he’d probably lose to anyone so he might be a sacrificial lamb to use up one of the top American names. And he just might catch fire and win.

Caveats obviously being they only need 3.5 points so it doesn’t really matter what order they go out in anyway, and all the Americans bar maybe Scheffler are top names and strong enough to lead off.

I’m wondering could it be pretty much over before the last pair tee off ? Lots of TV execs wouldn’t be happy !

Like I do think we read too much into this stuff at times but given Europe are chasing massively John rahm deserved to lead them out so to speak followed by garacia and lowry.

Maybe Rory will show up Maybe he won't but given how he has played he shouldn't be out first, just adding more pressure onto golfer who doesn't really have it right now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Rory still hasn't even played 16,17,18 in his 3 rounds, he'll need to have it wrapped up by 15 today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

The American crowd don't have much, if any, animosity towards Rory-- he's a hugely popular guy so any antagonism is likely to be minor. Plus he is out first, there won't be too much Pale Ale consumed at that hour and perhaps putting him first, and making him centre of attention, will work. Just concentrate on his own game, he has played pure muck each day so if it continues we won't be surprised. However, if he is competitive with 3 holes to go, he will win. And all might be forgiven

• Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Weisberger a tad unlucky to find himself in the bottom 6/England team 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Question:

Once US hit 14.5 points do the other single matches carry on or do they stop there & then?

Im thinking of it from a betting perspective & wondering what happens the final few matches if US win early.

Are bets settled on matches on scores as they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Yes, they play to the end mostly to confirm statistics and settle bets.

It came about I think when EU were hammering US and it was over but Tiger refused to give up. Not exactly sure. Think it was 2002. I remember matches being 'called in' in previous decades.

Might be a long tough day at stumps for the English batsmen....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭hawley

It got very hot between him and some of the US fans in 2016. He had one of them ejected. Sticker's captaincy has been excellent. He calmed the fued between Koepka and DeChambeau. Both his and Harry's behavior has been exemplary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

To use a NFL analogy putting Rory out first is a hail mary throw for a touchdown.

If he finds form it could ignite a big comeback, and realistically Europe probably wont win unless Rory wins today so you may as well give it a go because Padraigh hasnt got a lot of options left.

He could have gone out with Rahm, Garcia, Hoveland and lowry who are his best chances of wins today (before seeing the pairings) but he needs something to ignite the team.

If Rory shows up it could be worth watching, but if he isnt in contention by the back 9 then its hard to see who could turn it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭touts

Lowry in the first two makes sense because he is a fighter and if he gets ahead he will gee up every one of his teammates watching him.

But sending Rory out first is crazy the way he is playing. He could well be 3 or 4 holes down before most of the team have teed off and the momentum will be fully behind the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

To be fair, Rory usually plays well on a Sunday when it's too late.

He could have also insisted that he go out first to amend the bad 2 days. To send a message to the other players who haven't played well that it's possible. There is logic there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Might not be very European of me but I'd love to see Finau destroy Poulter.

Advertisement