Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Dont buy any of that, he looked like he lacked effort as he was a rabbit in headlights and didn't know what to do with a much better boxer, not going to change your opinion so wont argue with over it, i just think you built Joshua up to something he is not and i don't know why as you are one of the most knowledgeable posters on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

AJ is an athlete first, boxer second.

Fury, Ruiz and Usyk are boxers first.

To be at the very top, you have to be a boxer first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Hahaha brilliant!!!

You were waiting there in the long grass with that one. I stand by what I said though

• Registered Users Posts: 55,598 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I never built him up. I was never sold on him as an historic great. Never. Saying he’s a top HW today is not building him up. It’s stating facts. He is.

I have just as much criticised him as praised him, so this vibe that I have him on some pedestal is completely inaccurate. Taking a few posts here and there out of so many, where I praise him is what some are clinging to.

Watch last night again. I don’t think he once even really stepped up off his left lead and unleashed the most basic combination (and one that he is very good at,) the 1-2 power combination. In 12 rds he did not really try this. It was the whole night spent poking and prodding, and the odd swipe here and there.

Anytime in close, instead of trying to use his size to do damage, he froze and hugged. AJ has an ok inside game. Last night it was nowhere to be seen

His overall effort last night was desperate from what my eyes saw.

Hmm this was 4 years ago and it’s questionable whether or not it was actually Joshua who wrote it. I don’t trust screenshots very much.

Elite boxers are rarely squeaky clean angels anyhow

• Advertisement

They said his phone was hacked, if you believe e that, bless your naivety. Nobody expects boxers to be squeaky clean but that type of mindset has no place anywhere. Just pointing out if fury had said it, it would have been front page news and he would have to come out with an apology and statement.

He didnt step in as he was unsure, hes not sure of his chin which if fair enough as its glassy, but to blame the loss on lack of desire, im not having it.

Unsure, cautious, scared…throw whatever word you like..

The desire and fire were sorely lacking…

You’re the HW champion of the world for chrissske…give it a poxy proper go…

I think saying lacking desire is unfair to usyks performance, showed nice chin to be fair to the smaller man. Also to not tire and being on toes for 12 rounds at 34 is v impressive, joshua looked gassed compared to him and wasn't moving nearly as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,454 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

We have different opinions on role models, and also 4 year old tweets to get all upset about.

• Advertisement

I said he is a role model to young kids, not that he should be. 4years ago he was what 25/26, not as if he was in his teens so yeah its an abhorrent mindset he has and was delighted he lost for many reasons.

You’re choosing to interpret it that way.

Usyk performed very well, and did what he had to do.

AJ performed like a man scared and timid, and no matter what Usyk was doing, it doesn’t change that.

It’s not like Usyk was pummelling him. He wasn’t. AJ simply was content to be very cautious and timid. There was next to no fire there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Strangely i still think Whyte could do Usyk or at least give it a good go, AJ and his team made a huge error they tried to Box Usyk,

Fury said last week that the way to beat Usyk is to go put it on him and he also said he didn't think AJ had the balls to go do it and he was right

Also id love to hear from Eddie Hesrn on why the bell in the 12th round went 5 seconds early? What the **** was that about

It looked like the Ruiz fight is still in AJ mind,

He looked afraid to get in a fire fight when it was probably his best chance of victory

Stunning from Usyk but AJ weaknesses where very apparent

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Howard Foster gave AJ the first round. otherwise the scorecards were fairly similar

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Usyk renders guys average when he gets going and is on a good night. Made Gasssiev look like a puppy. Made Joshua look like a scarecrow stuck in porridge. There's levels to Boxing and Usyk showed Joshua that. I won't hear anything about Joshua not showing heart or desire. He actually rallied well after a blistering start from Usyk. He didn't just fold over. There was an argument it was level after 8 rounds. People need to give credit to Usyk for what he has done and get it out of their heads that there's more to Boxing than just taking someone's head off.

If you go back through this forum down the years there were very few if any who would have given Usyk a chance against Joshua. Some who've commented here in this thread who scoffed at those who felt Usyk even had a shot. He's the older man and not in his preferred weight class and he schools the guy with the best names on his resume of current HWs to some the top dog in the division. What he has done it a rare feat, the fact he's done it against Joshua is incredible.

Usyk seems to be a bit like Fury as in he does wgat he needs to do to win,

Looked crap in his first two heavy weight fights & still won but then stepped it up big time when he had to,

Delighted with the result even though i thought AJ would win, Usyk always seems like agood bloke and im sick of AJ being so vanilla and boring,

Even last night he couldn't resist with his trying to be wise about the loss, Its a great experience learning on the job....... Bollox you lost your undisputed titles your supposed to be the baddest man on the palent,

On that note anyone see the BT clip of Wilder & Fury sending each other a message, Fury is comedy gold even if he doesn't mean it

https://twitter.com/cjcheesecake/status/1442029004173848580?s=08

He has a personality and is unfiltered, brilliant, blowing kisses to him before the last fight when cameras came on in the dressing rooms.

Each to their own, but effing smash your face in you effing prick…comes across scum talk to me. Far from funny…

Supposed to be mr look after each other and be kind and mind your mental health

not really great messages to be putting out there.

who ya got, btw? Fury favorite, but still very dangerous fight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Hardly any worse than what wilder is saying? And isnt that the name of the game anyway?

You really can't stand Fury at all 😁

At least you know what you get with fury, not fake and manufactured.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭banie01

AJ was totally outboxed last night. It was an object lesson in skills. Usyk was busy, mobile and accurate. AJ's sole advantages were his size and power yet he never let his hands go. Then to top it off from I think the 5th? (Could be the wrong wrong round) but mid fight, Usyk clipped him a good left and it honestly seemed that AJ's heart for the fight left him.

If I was AJ and in his corner, I'd be embarrassed at the performance and effort put in tbh.

Usyk may not have traditional heavyweight power but he is perhaps one of the very best boxers active and he tailors his approach to the opponent.

AJ doesn't seem to have that capability, and his strategy last night compounds my thinking on that.

Unless AJ goes hard and fast I don't ever see him beating Usyk in a fight that goes the distance.

Wilders girlfriend was enjoying it.

If AJ has any pride, character, championship class he should be enacting the rematch clause quick fast. If he looks back at the tape, he should feel an embarrassment, and least try to turn it around in the rematch.

He was thoroughly beaten and hurt v Ruiz and he got back in to reverse. That showed character and guts. Btw, not comparing Ruiz to Usyk here.

He needs to show this urgency and desire to try avenge this defeat.

Whether fight fans think he can avenge doesn’t matter. It’s for him to try!

I don’t think Joshua can do very much except to enact the rematch clause. He’s a fool and he’s been given terrible advice the plan was horrendous. They should have been unleashing him last night. I thought the chess was a pile of dung in the buildup but it turns out its for real. Usyk was in his head that much (without really trying) that he took up chess to try to get more intelligent.

It’s like the reverse of the Ruiz fight. In that he couldn’t afford to go toe to toe and if he were to fight Usyk again then I think that’s his only route to victory save a Wilder like worldie. But he won’t throw like wilder with some abandon. He won;t even commit to throwing real combos. This ‘I love a fight’ bs he spouts every day... where was that last night. He mummied around the ring and any time he made inroads he failed to even attempt to build on that.

I think he knew that if he fought at a pace and tried to take a chance he would gas if he failed to ko Usyk. So then he fought Usyk’s fight and guess what’s gonna happen if you let your opponent dictate the terms to you? Rounds 9&10 he looked tired and gave them away, I was waiting on a never give up leave it all in there in the 11th and Usyk brilliantly put it right on him - that’s when I said he’s gonna win this now. It was for me the best moment of the fight when one guy showed the balls to go for it and the other was full of self doubt. Joshua had and has more than enough attributes to have won that fight but he didn;t call on them and his corner were worse than useless.

That’s been working on me all morning, forgive the length of it.

Fighters and teams always need to try see a silver lining..

Seems AJs is that he was unable to see out of his eye from rd 9 onwards, and Hearn thinks he could have broken eye socket.

At least he didn’t do a BJS on it and give up

Saw foto of AJ earlier and eye looks not that bad at all.

And it seems he is enacting the rematch clause.

Did any of ye think aj looked too relaxed on his ring walk, stopping to interact with the crowd, all smiles. Complete opposite to usyk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

He said last night he already watched it back and saw the mistakes and then started on about learning on the job

cant wait for the rematch

The internet isn’t for everyone

Advertisement