Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Re Vulcanair P68 I have just read a translation from French where a carbon monoxide emergency disabled pilot/passengers, causing a mishap. It’s a possibility. The slcause of the fatal accident where footballer Sala and his pilot were killed flying from France to Cardiff proved to be carbon monoxide poisoning entering cabin from engine fumes, on a different aircraft model.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• The Tuskar Rock crash memorably happened in my 10th birthday. I have read the reports in-depth, one a print-out on a flight to Tenerife. Took the 4 hours to go through it with a fine tooth comb, read a book on an alternative theory, and my chief flying instructor offered the theory that the elevator trim tab spring had broken by habitual exposure from parking with wind behind and lack of inspection. He had been a Viscount Captain and also a qualified mechanic, and I would go along with what he said. The findings as they were, were entirely consistent with this, as was the increasing controllability issue in evidence some time after departure from Cork.

My Dad had known the Viscount Captain Barney O’Beirne as well as one of the flight attendants from his regular business flights. In those days regular travellers got to know crew, and would sometimes stay in the same hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Does anyone here remember that week in 2007 when Páraic Breathnach presented liveline ? Or the week in 2008 when Jenny Huston did it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭golondrinas

They also ( as I recall ) tried to blame the RAF for a drone testing gone wrong.

• Absolutely implicated an RAF drone, but it seemed the aircraft had already developed progressive control issues before it came to Wexford coast and the elevator train tab was found separated some distance away, point to that as the likely cause. The second last transmission was strange “Echo India Alpha Oscar Mike with you..,” Transmissions often got partly clipped, and this one certainly was. As a private pilot the only time I would give the full ref call-sign eg, EI AOM, was eh, on start-up at Dublin Airport as in “EI AOM requesting start-up to commence flight plan with with your routing west”. Once my identity was established it would be abbreviated to Oscar Mike. Commercial airliners use airline call signs combined with flight numbers and whatever this was, say Shamrock 143, and they don’t deviate. It’s as if the Viscount crew were so consumed by control issues that they were merely reading the aircraft registration written on the control yoke.

• Are we in for a yaw fest tomorrow? I fear we might be 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Joe's probably been spending the week conjuring up depressing stories to bore us to death fir the week ahead.

Terry Prone has never apologised for anything she's ever said , not at all sure she understands the concept of actually being mistaken or wrong.

Her odiousness is only matched by the horrid Twink so to speak 😉

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• DOUBLE POST CAWLERS , can’t even edit this satisfactorily on my EYe PhOne

• Advertisement

• Duffy with a serious look of pleasure etched on his face listening to the woes & misery throes of Mary Coughlan tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,564 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

That Kerry caller from a few weeks back got to walk his sheep across the bridge in Londinium today so to speak...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-freeman-walks-sheep-across-southwark-bridge-1.4684321

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Oh God, No.

The mixing desk will be like a painter's radio tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

very disturbing. read at ur peril. right up joes street though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Wouldn't have happened if those little scumbags were allowed into Trinity to do medicine like Joe said! (in all seriousness, very few punishments could be too harsh for those responsible)

Alarming and quite disturbing increase in reports of appalling animal cruelty perpetrated by young people, you'd really have to ask what these vermin will turn out like in later years.

Images may cause upset ,

I immediately made a donation.

Ewe got to handed it to him, wouldn't be easy to pull the Wool over his eyes 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

they will become outright sociopaths

• Advertisement

• As many of ye know, I had to change my user handle recently from Ghoulfinger to “Riley Helpless Grapevine”. The latter being an apt username considering the frustration I experienced for lack of a simple line of code. As I learning web development for a couple of months I’ve become aware what probably is the underlying issue in this regard on Boards and I posted it in feedback in hope the busy admins tack action.

Due to a perceived site security scare from a thread that came up a while back, I had been trying to change my email from what was myname@domain.com to a new anonymous one I created in a hurry, and which password I lost, so I wanted to alter it back again. No chance, as text rapidly filled the page and blocked and further action.

Email verification required” filled up my screen ad finitum and would not stop, preventing any further action in my part.

Anyone knowing even basic JavaScript will be familiar with the infinite loop. It would appear to be a very simple line of code missing from the JS to stop this happening here on the site.

I’ll give a demo here for those unfamiliar . It is stuff the simplicity of which Duffy or Darcy could grasp. I don’t know what Boards name the variable involved in the loop, but for arguments sake I will put it here as “emailVerify” 

So let’s imagine, for simplicity, part of it is scripted something like this:

var emailVerify = true;

while (emailVerify) {console.log (“Email verification required”);}

A quick explanation for those who know nothing about JS, the var stands for “variable”, the recognisable name the coder decides to give. Next line “while” tells it to run when it is “true”, and the stuff in the curly brackets instructs the relevant message to actually appear on the screen. But the message will keep repeating unless something is added to turn it off. 

The above would run an infinite loop as like happened in my case. 

It can be resolved very simply by a little addition inserted before closing bracket, eg:

var emailVerify = true;

While (emailVerify) {console.log (“Email verification required”);

emailVerify = false;}

The last line changes the status of the variable after showing message once puts the brakes on the loop and presents the message recurring ad Infinitum on the screen and blocking up all further use of Boards. It tells it to stop because it is no longer valid to keep putting the message on the screen.

And yes, this missing script definitely doesn’t fuel my confidence in the site inadvertently revealing my ID. 

Simple as that really, although there’s obviously a lot more script involved; but even Joe or Ray could grasp this simple stuff and make it work. I could train the cat only he wouldn’t see the point of bothering. Boards didn’t employ enough folk to run through all the “what ifs” and this is the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

D-omen in again today

• spiders
    • difficulty of taking pets through Dublin airport

Joe must have headed to France for a much needed breakeen and a bit of sun shine

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Fungus finding it hard to disembark the RTE gravy train 15 months after his retirement. Crops up on the Liveline credits regularly enough and appearing tonight on Claire Byrne Live as they discuss the burning issue of whether pets should be allowed back in the workplace post Covid. Cutting edge.

O Dear God, another reason not to watch that Shyte, its the most one of the most bizzare show ever to have been broadcast on irish Television, and that's saying something, the mock up are just hilarious, especially the ones done during the pandemic, it would seem Claire Byrne and her production team think Ireland is a nation of Moronic, Dim and clueless fools.

M

Pets in the workplace will just be a horror show, I'd leave any place that brought that in.

Has Joe just given up 🤔

M

Was...must be RIP or robbed.

• A Dash Hound

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭shearforce

• Advertisement

Seems appropriate