Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Re: MHQ:

This was my post on April 13th (on the travel thread)

In case any of you have rose tinted glasses. At long last the injustice of locking away healthy people has thankfully ended today. It takes us approximately one week (even less a few months ago) to get 10,000 confirmed CASES. This whole joke of MHQ found 600 cases and locked up only 10,000. We have 10,000 confirmed cases a week!

It was a massive waste of money and pointless when we had Delta and with many exemptions. Just another massive waste of money for no benefit but to appease the chattering classes.

April 13

This MHQ has to stop immediately. It was a joke from day 1 and is rapidly descending into a total farce.

> Politicians exempt.

> Airline / HGV / Maritime crews exempt.

> Elite Sports Stars somewhat exempt.

> Passengers sitting on the same row of seats as someone who is transiting through a non red list country are grand. The other is not.

> We will spend €1m on certain students in the new EU countries if they want to come home. Locking up healthy young students making their lives even more miserable.

> Vaccinated people locked up.

> Court cases being demanded taking up valuable court time and then not allowing the hearings and closing the case on humanitarian grounds. While some people can't attend the funeral of their parents and have to stay locked away while testing negative 3 times in a week?

This charade has to stop. People need to travel and that's that. Hunt down the variants if they are here and sequence all cases from SA and South America, but stop forcing our residents and citizens into a hotel to pretend it solves the problem, it does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Their disinformation hasn't worked! The vast vast majority took the vaccine. Case closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It was never going to work here anyway as we always had a high proportion in favour of vaccination. There's also an overemphasis of the reach an influence of social media in the general population. It's still the 6.1 News for many!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I get the feeling that you would have brought this up whenever MHQ ended, but that most of your points skirt around the reason for MHQ. It was a measure used to reduce the opportunity for infection to spread, same as masks, social distancing et al, it was never designed to eliminate. Most of the effect was by the burden it placed on people who chose to travel so didn't travel in the first place, so the effect was probably much greater than the 500/10000 infected people detected.

We weren't chasing zero covid, so all measures were to reduce chances of spread, anyone coming up with the other ways it spread anyway doesn't really understand how the restrictions were meant to work.

I've no strong feelings either way on MHQ, if they were going to do it, it should have been brought in much sooner rather than when it did, but it undoubtedly contributed to less cases right when infection was getting out of control, was the cost of MHQ was worth it? not sure. The USA is still restricting travel far greater than MHQ ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's hard to know if the rollout strategy was on purpose to get to a high vaccinated % or just by mistake, remembering back to people trying to justify jumping ahead, people signing up early, people getting twisted about supplies not being used fast enough etc. It's a strategy that can be used again in the future, but you have to leave people to speculate and not give them too much information for it to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I mean opinion polls. I don't think any of them were below 70% in advance of the rollout. The French at one stage were barely 40% in favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

With the restrictions they would not be responsible for many, or any, superspreader events.

You seem to be on a solo run with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Reading some of the comments regarding MHQ here, even those posts defending it have a real undercurrent of "Well, it was far too late and achieved very little, but...".

Like a lot of the measures introduced in this country it was a day late and a dollar short, its ok to admit that.

With the public so in favour of the MHQ, I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a reaction against ending it.

Maybe they realise it was a waste of time and they were wrong. It was a mistake from day one.

The government wanted to be populist to satisfy the hysteric and Conservative nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ground has been broken on what the general populace will accept where their personal freedoms are concerned. It won't be forgotten.

• Advertisement

It's certainly shown that Irish people love to get tested for covid. Who would have guessed that. Hundreds of thousands of tests, maybe millions by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

A lot of that testing is serial testing of frontline healthcare workers , and nursing homes .

Nursing homes are stopping now .

Would you think healthcare should be too ?

I personally think all that testing should stop but I am afraid vested interests will ensure it wont.

Im wary about vaccinations too, Im not an anti vaxxer but when it comes to boosters I want to be assured its for health reasons and not to allow so many people to have a second job getting paid 26 euros an hour and fifty six euros on a sunday vaccinating people. I read recently that the mass vaccination centres are here to stay, why do we need this centres, what is the plan re these booster vaccines, is it to go on and on.

This is one of the reasons I dont think nurses et c should get bonuses, any nurses I know have made a fortune during the pandemic, they earned over time and then on their days off some did thirteeen hour shifts in mass vaccination centres. More of them work all week and then on Saturday go on help lines to annswer queries from the general public. I dont think any of them were traumatised by covid, they seemed ready and able to avail of any opportunity to earn extra money

Sounds like you know some very clever and resilient nurses there, fair dues to them !

" most of them ', earning a 'fortune ', lol . No chip on your shoulder ?

Be careful I think that chip might be getting in the way of your reasoning a bit .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Maybe it shows that Irish people love to keep those around them safe .?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Keep those around them safe and keep those around them tested are different things

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I was talking about people getting themselves tested . Maybe they just want to keep others safe

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The people in the vaccination centres are not in control of this, they're getting no notice of what's ahead and being employed week to week. When I took my kids in the other day they had no clue about how long the centre would be open or whether or when boosters would happen.

You're seeing "vested interests" where there are none.

They wouldn't need testing if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Vested interests? What a load of bol#$@#. Next you'll maintain people actually enjoy working in health care through a pandemic.

Come in to the real world for a while.

Post edited by Jim_Hodge on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

Would be good to see more heat coming to those lockdown nuts that fool the naive into giving them money. Article here on DUP councillor that died recently, and was a big Ivor Cummins fan. Of course, said 'engineer', Dolores etc. and the other nuts (but many making money of the whole thing) supported the removal from hospital of Joe McCarron too, who has since died.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/columnists/Sam-mcbride/a-good-man-died-after-too-much-covid-misinformation-while-his-hero-lockdown-sceptic-ivor-cummins-goes-on-making-money-from-devotees-40886874.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I wouldn't confuse public apathy for favour. The Irish people have shown conclusively that they will sit there and do what they are told, and MHQ in't even near the top of the list of things that the Irish allowed to happen without a peep of protest. Just because they said and did nothing does not mean that they were in favour of it.

While I agree that they are 'nuts' , not sure if they are 'lockdown nuts '? Would have thought that they were ANTI lockdown , masks , vaccines and everything else .

When you sign up to be a health care worker you deal with whatever comes.

Nurses etc have made a lot of extra money in the last twenty months, they do not need any extra money in the form of bonuses and rather than grouping together to demand extra paid leave or a few grand extra into their bank account they should be demanding better infrastructure to improve infection control in hospitals.

Its ludicrous to suggest that nurses etc should get extra paid leave when people are suffering and waiting on long lists to avail of treatment, the Government has lost the plot in a public sector vote catching exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Most Irish people happily wear the Europe's longest restriction badge with great pride.

This, in spite of not only having Europe's youngest population(relevant when discussing Covid), but also having the highest vaccination rate, most folk in Ireland are happy to plod along as is for at least another month "just in case". I've not seen what science will change on midnight on October 22nd, but I know we are following science

I see a thread on AH where posters are discussing not wanting normal to return

Horrific stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

• Advertisement

It holds water when ISAG members wanted a faster reopening than NPHET did

Indoor dining should go ahead on July 5 but the resumption of foreign travel within the EU two weeks after this is a bad idea, infectious diseases expert Prof Sam McConkey said

The head of international health and tropical medicine in RCSI said indoor dining should resume next Monday, and that there should be a pubic discussion of what is “acceptable risk”. 

This comes as Nphet meets today to discuss pushing back the reopening of indoor dining due to concern about the Delta variant. 

"I advocated for a zero Covid but that wasn’t accepted, so if we’re going to live with Covid at some stage we have to recognise that we have to get hospitality and culture and all these important things back up and running,” Prof McConkey said on RTÉ Radio 1’s Today with Claire Byrne

The Cabinet Covid Committee is considering a proposal from the National Public Health Emergency Team to delay next week's reopening of indoor hospitality by several weeks.

Both of those article were from the same day

So the zero Covid lockdown nuts were happy with a faster reopening than NPHET.

I wonder if ISAG were in charge would we have had a normal Summer like Europe??

Advertisement