Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just had my account cleared-how did they get around 3d secure

• 25-09-2021 10:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭

Just back from shopping and I get a text from PTSB about a transaction for 99c with Microsoft. I have checked my account and it has been cleared now with numerous €9.99 purchases, all for microsoft. How do they get around the 3d security, it has me plagued anytime I am buying something so not sure how they could spend so much without it popping up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Perhaps try phoning your bank's security team rather than boards ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I did, I was on hold while I was on boards, but thanks anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,009 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Looks like your not alone, Reports that PTSB dealing with a major fraud as you describe.

"Permanent TSB experiencing 'extremely high call volumes due to ongoing fraud incident'" https://www.thejournal.ie/permanent-tsb-fraud-helpline-5558618-Sep2021/

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,146 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How will they explain this occuring with the required verification needed for transactions? Likely it will be full refunds and story buried somewhere deep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,009 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Seems a quite extraordinary thing to happen , OP Mentioned this yesterday and only being reported on today .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Tried checking my account and can't get in. This kind of **** pisses me off.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Is this on the debit card or on the credit card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Why did the fraudsters target numerous €9.99 transactions? Are online transactions under €10 not subject to 2FA perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Probably because it's not something some people will notice coming out of their account immediately, particularly with so many transactions being made by card now. My credit card was scammed a few years ago, a few hundred was charged to it for flights in Spain and car hire in France, but also a similar charge to what is happening with PTSB. BOI cancelled the card, issued me a refund, following month the same €9.99 appeared again. Bank tried to tell me that my card must have been scammed in a shop the second time, only I was laid up at home with a broken leg at the time so hadn't used the card since it was reissued, and it was the same charge as the last time round. Took four months, and three cancelled credit cards before BOI got it sorted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Banks are being hit 24x7 by all kinds of scams using every numerical combination you can image. They work on the basis that at some point some poor sod under pressure in IT will make a mistake - copy a block of code and forget to change a variable, fail to upload the latest validation rules, load an old version of the software or data, fail to do edge case testing and so on. And it happens! Maybe the test case was €10 to €500,000 and nobody checks what happens outside the range.... so it's worth having a go.

These things happen and unless they directly hit the customer and there is PR, it is just written of as the cost of doing business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Enright

Out of curious, did you get bank charges for each transaction?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Good question! Scams of one kind or another are a fact of life and more or likely you will encounter it once or twice. If the banks accepted it as a cost of doing business, then the yardstick should be how quickly the bank restores you to the position you were in before it happened, when it clearly was a scam as in this case. It should not involve waiting periods, for filling or affidavit signing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

They're going for resellable codes, like XBox game pass codes, which are €9.99. They sell them on, pocket the cash, code may or may not get revoked later on, but either way the scammer is gone with the cash.

Advertisement