Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bollards along cycling lanes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Why isn't there a cycling lane with bollards in Farranree? Too many driveways? The hill is too steep for cycling?

here is a very rare sight on top of a hill, a Deliveroo guy on his electric bike... lonely cowboy...

of course it's an electric bike, who would cycle up that hill on a regular bicycle? That's why there's almost nobody cycling on this road...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm not sure why you think photographing roads is a good use of your time but anyhow.

As for the people cycling on the footpaths, why do you think they might be doing that?

As for the "lonely cowboy" cycling up a hill, firstly it's not much of a hill but more importantly, are you expecting massive crowds? Why are you also not asking why there any drivers using the road?

The infrastructure needs to be built before many will choose to leave the car at home and cycle. That's a reality of life.

Your anti cycle infrastructure bias is pointless given the massive need for them coupled with the climate crisis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you need a hobby. ever considered taking up cycling?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

I gave up cycling as it’s just too bloody dangerous , taking your life in your hands cycling,

only ppl with cop on are ex cyclists or those who are motorbike drivers or who cycle, your average car driver hasn’t a clue, drive too close, cut you up, open doors without even glancing etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm not sure why you think photographing roads is a good use of your time but anyhow.

Take a look at their pothole thread, it's an underappreciated art form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

If you think these bollards are an eyesore wait till you see a Daewoo or even worse a Ssangyong

• Registered Users Posts: 12,241 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Almost no cars in those photos either. Maybe no one drives there either. Perhaps it should be pedestrianized.

Also even though its a wide road. Someone has felt the need to park 100% on the pavement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

The OP has abandoned this thread for an identical one in the motor forum as the responses didn’t back up his thoughts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

My partner was cycling in one of these designated cycling lane with bollards and was still knocked down by a driver. The driver said he was so focused on trying to squeeze through the bollards to go into a driveway that he just didnt look to see if there was a cyclist. The bollards are nothing but a distraction for drivers.

They are a complete waste of money and just cause more havoc on the roads.

• Advertisement

So the driver was incompetent and blamed their inability to drive safely and poor observation skills on the bollards?

Before these bollards went in my fianceé would only cycle on greenways but now she feels safe enough to cycle to work, and is slowly getting braver on non-protected lanes. Without the bollards she'd just be another driver (causing more havoc!). The bollards are ugly and shouldn't be necessary but they're doing their job brilliantly.

It's like some people are seemingly obsessed with bollards along cycle lanes. They're a standard piece of infrastructure in most modern cities.

I mean do you also have a problem with lampposts? They're also metal poles and are often ugly.

Are traffic lights ugly?

How about road signs?

Lines on roads?

The telephone poles and wires strung across streets?

Chimneys.. many of them are eyesores.

A lot of houses are hideous.

Where do you want to stop?

A city without cycle ways in my view just comes across as backwards looking. The addition of cycle ways in Cork suddenly made the place feel a lot more modernly European looking. So has the outdoor dining.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,241 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think (AFAIK) with or without bollards the number one cause of collisions between cyclists and motorists is motorists not seeing the cyclists.

IMO, I think this is because they've become used to NOT looking or checking for cyclists in their visual scan. The driver is simply not looking.

In your example, the driver has become complacent about ignoring road signage and warning signs. They are not understanding their purpose.

The driver is incompetent but yet people are still happy to allow them to continue driving a large metal box at speed.

As for the bollards causing havoc on the roads - an inanimate object doesn't do this. People driving at a speed unsuited for the conditions does. If the bollards were removed and there was a cyclist at the same point as one of the bollards, how come the driver would not have the same challenge in passing?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

I'm loving them, I can cycle from Cobh to South Mall in 50 mins via passage on mostly protected cycle lanes and Greenway or 40 mins to where I work in Mahon. I take the car some days when I need to ferry kids around after school, best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Mrs loves them. We live in Ballintemple and she works in the Mercy. There is nearly protected cycle ways all the way from our house to work. These bollards are not just for leisure cyclists, they are also safe passage ways for people going to work. Lots of her colleagues in the Mercy cycle to work, remember that people using lanes could be some of our essential workers over the last 1.5 years, they may p!ss off some but i'd rather they get to work safely than get knocked down by an impatient motorist. Also they quicker than driving a car from Ballintemple and parking in the city centre.

To highlight an issue maybe? It's screenshots from dashcam, it takes few seconds. so....

It's not anti cycle, it's anti stupidity. But this whole cycling thing is exagerrated. Cycling is not that popular as people might think (and by people avid cyclists, just because you love cycling doesn't mean vast majority of people in Cork do). These bollards just make no logical sense. They are not needed, they are ugly and it's just a stupid idea.

I also cycle, recreationally, when the weather is nice. But I never do what I hate what others are doing. Like breaking red lights and cycle on a footpath slaloming around pedestrians.

Not expecting crowds, but why building such infrastructure when you have 1-2 people per hour cycle on that road.

"before many will choose to leave the car at home and cycle" .... ok let me burst your bubble, that will never happen. Many reasons. 1. it costs somewhere between 4-5 euro per day to run a car. Insurance, motor tax and NCT. No maintenance/parts included so it's more than that. The cost to run a car is so high that people just won't cycle. Government would have to get rid of the motor tax to lower the cost 2. More than 1/3 of cork city is hills. 3. Weather

Just because you love cycling and you're into it doesn't mean it popular in general. 200K+ people in and around Cork but how many cycle in daily basis to work/shop etc.? 1%? or is it more? 3% perhaps?

and btw. I think unfortunately a lot of cyclists are just idiots.... that's not my opinion, that's a fact based on simple observation.

Here are some recent examples, again from my dashcam.

This suicidal maniac crossed the road right in front of that Audi. Driver in an Audi had to break to avoid collision. The guy on a bicycle just went for it without even thinking what he's doing is wrong. Insane behaviour.

here, typical behaviour. Breaking the red light, not a biggie...

Turning left onto St. Patrick's, this guy nonshalantly coming at me from the right. And I am looking at him like excuse me do you mind, can I drive my car here?

only to go straight into the crowd seconds later, btw. that woman on his right had to stop walking because he was such an idiot that he just completely ignored her.

followed by a guy on an electric moped type of thing... nothing unusual here right? completely normal to go among walking people.

Cyclists this cyclists that... just shut your mouth and stay at the side of the road or in a cycling lane. If you want to use the footpath walk next to the bike like a normal human being.

How many mondern cities you visited? Go on google maps and see for yourself, they are not in "most modern cities" ... you're delusional if you think otherwise.

Here's another one knocked down (possibly by a lorry driving through a junction that's been re designed and isn't suitable for lorries and buses anymore).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Cyclists this cyclists that... just shut your mouth and stay at the side of the road or in a cycling lane. If you want to use the footpath walk next to the bike like a normal human being.

so the thread has basically just evolved into an anti-cyclist tirade. quelle surprise.

if i get dashcam footage of a driver acting like a cock, does that undermine arguments for provision of roads for motorists?

Those roads are not being used by many motor vehicles. They should be removed.

I also can’t believe how you are defending terrible driving by blaming inanimate objects for being hit by motorists.

how many cars do you see driving on a footpath?

they are used literally by thousands of motor vehicles every day, what are you talking about?

terrible driving or badly designed junction? There was more space there before. no bollards too.

I can take a photo of any road without cars on it and claim it’s not used. Just like you can take a photo without people cycling.

If a person driving a motor vehicle hits bollards then they probably shouldn’t be driving as their ability and choices of route are below par.

um what? I drive on that road quite a lot and it's and extremely rare sight to see a cyclist there... Man, I swear I am gonna get the cctv footage from Applegreen and prove what I am saying all the time: absolute mimimum of cyclists use that road!

that's not true, that junction is badly designed. They added a turning lane so there's less space there now, so the lorry didn't obviously have enough space and knocked down the bollard. That's pretty logical to me.

these bollards on Bachelor's quay and at the Mercy hospital..

they look ugly.. dirty, bent.. they won't last much longer when you look at the base of them. But no, let's have them everywhere to protect the few that cycle on footpaths and in front fo the cars.

Winter is coming, they will be protecting no one because there won't be any cyclists out there cycling in that lashing rain and cold (except deliveroo). In the winter you have a snotty nose in 5 minutes when you get out there on your bicycle... nah, forget about it. All your arguments are simply invalid! Cycling is not that popular in Cork, that's the reality.

Diabhalta, pictured yesterday

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Is the last pic not for pedestrians? There is a picture of someone walking on the ground there and would seem a bit narrow for a 2 way cycle lane.

• Advertisement

You are correct but damn those cyclists who are at fault anyway. However, it makes no odds. Bollards will be bollards and obviously will rebel one by one and do kamikaze attacks on motor vehicles.

Advertisement