Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I was merely showing appreciation for a well structured and thorough post. If you read my own post, it's clear that I don't agree with @huiwe878778

Honestly @mamboozle the same things I said in that post apply to you. You don't know for a fact what happened that night any better than anyone else. You have your opinions and that's it. You're coming across no better than @Moonunit but on the other side of the fence. None of what @huiwe878778 said can be considered a "conspiracy theory", they just stated the facts as we know them. They believe that points to Bailey's undeniable guilt, I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

The reference to those with an opposing view as "fanboys" is indicative of a certain mindset and is vaguely insulting.

I cannot recall anyone on this thread uttering positivity of any kind towards Ian Bailey.

I believe that Bailey is an arrogant, "up his own arse" unpleasant, boorish wife beater who should have spent time behind bars for what he did to Jules Thomas. So, I'm no "fanboy". In fact, I wouldn't give him the time of day.

But, like many others, who, I think, would also hold him in contempt, I don't believe that he killed Sophie. Because I can't see any convincing evidence that he had any association whatsoever with her, was present at the scene or had any motive to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Can someone remind me... Who owned the house before sophie? how long was it up for sale? was there much interest?

Anything sus about the previous owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

You're suggesting that everyone has opinions, like we just watched a football match, and so there is a kind of equivalence of validity. If you look at my posts you will see that I accept the (more than one) DPP's opinion in this case. The office of the DPP has repeatedly said there is no case to be made against Ian Bailey. Insofar as there is a neutral arbiter of justice in this state, the DPP is the office that historically stands above all others and I am aware that it too is not immune to accusations of political corruption. Its remit is straightforward; review evidence, bring charges or don't. It is dispassionate. If the DPP is wrong in this case, people might like to consider what that implies.

Facts are facts. Not 'facts as we know them'. or alternative facts

Maybe you don't get my point. Even the disputed introduction of IB to STDP is taken by many people as evidence of a relationship, while we know that Alfie most definitely had a relationship with her. Is Shirley to be trusted but Jules Thomas isn't? Why would that be?

• Advertisement

There are no facts in this thread then since everything, including the DPP report is as we know/were told/read them/saw in documentary. If we knew all that went on in the DPP decision we might consider something else factual.

I cannot see how he killed her either but I don't know he didn't and i am not a fan. It is an insulting term and a childish way to argue such an important case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I don't know the answer to that, nor do I have a speculative explanation.

Alfie having a supposed relationship with Sophie? I'd find that rather unlikely, as Alfie had Shirley.

Besides that, I often thought that Shirley knew a lot more and I also wouldn't have much trust in Jules.

I would only guess that Jules hat more of a social life, her daughters coming over and visiting thus she would have probably been the more cautious one. Nothing like that is known about Shirley.

I also wouldn't have much trust in Jules.

in what sense?

We are relating to each other right now.

Alfie knew Sophie to say hello to and by his own admission to introduce other people to. He had a relationship with her as a neighbour and 'knew' her, although I imagine she'd have wanted little to do with him. Ian Bailey is emphatic that he didn't know her while there has always been a suggestion that there might have been something deeper going on in secret.

I don't believe IB knew her. It sounds like she wouldn't have had the slightest bit of interest in him and if she'd had any, I can't see why she'd have kept it secret. She used get bored, by all accounts, with the glitzy world of international cinema. He was reciting what was, by all accounts, boring poetry to people in pubs around Schull. In your wildest dreams is the expression people used in situations like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Polly701

"https://thecinemaholic.com/where-is-bruno-carbonnet-now/

Her ex boyfriend who had been to the house a number of times and had been violent towards her, at least once in view of others in Paris.

His alibi is a receipt.. He signed for something at his apartment on the date in question.. Is that a 'rock solid' alibi?

I also found that very strange like so many things about this murder case. Apparently he signed a receipt for some telephone installation. This might be true or not, these things can probably easily be forged, or be something constructed. We don't know. How much das a field technician really remember in terms of faces if he has 20 or 30 calls in a city to do? No idea on that one....

Even stranger is that Daniel Toscan du Plantier buys his wife a house in Ireland so she can spend time there to cheat on the marriage and sleep with Bruno and various others. And it's beyond imagination that Daniel was complete oblivious to his wife's sexual freedoms.

I am often asking myself whether Sophie and Daniel were both of sound mind or what their understanding of marriage would have been.......

Maybe Daniel wanted his wife to be away, so he could also cheat.....

Another thing to speculate.

People who are loaded with money get up to all sorts. I was looking at the Ian Bailey libel trial where some drawings from his diaries were supposedly proof of his twisted mind.In my own case a school friend was renowned for the lifelike detail he could put in his sketches and they were a bit farther out there than Bailey's. I don't know what it makes me and my friends when we used to pass these around under the desk in 5th year.

Sophie met Tomi Ungerer the day before she died. He saw his whole career destroyed in the US for the unacceptable nature of his drawings. Easily found online. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The French side of things could be squared away, anyone male could have signed that.

But if you wanted to get from France to Ireland, would there be a record of passengers on flights in 1996 if the police on either side went looking? Or was it just a case of show passport?

I suppose a fake passport could have been used also.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

You see, what some posters like yourself don't realise is that the majority of posters on this thread want to see justice being done, no one is a fanboy of Bailey but at the same time, we don't want to see an innocent man being convicted of the most serious of crimes, its gas you call posters here who doubt Baileys guilt as fanboys but you sound like the biggest one of Nick Foster.

Your post has more than a little arrogance to it & its gas that you then go on to make a series of ridiculous and stupid statements that have been shown many times on this thread if you bothered to read it, as complete nonsense.

So lets look at the actual points you did make apart from the other pile of nonsense you wrote.

1) Baileys telephone call to STDP's office in France. Really? Years after the fact the lady in question decides to come forward with this information. Don't you think it would've been more than a little unusual she didn't come forward with this information earlier and only did so after Sophies family were continuously told of Bailey's guilt by the gards over years. Such a vital piece of evidence, oddball character contacting her friend days before her murder and then decides not to mention it until years after the fact. Yeah right!!

2) Alfie Lyons testimony is as unreliable as they come, both him and his friend Leo Bolger were let off extremely lightly even unbelievably so in relation to serious drug offences, one of them carrying a mandatory term of ten years. To not think him or Leo Bolger weren't in the pockets of the gards is naive in the extreme. Their statements have zero credibility and even with this, Lyons says he's 90% sure, not 100% as you would expect him to be if he did actually introduce Bailey to her.

3) "She was asking members of her family and friends with her to accompany her to Ireland because she was freaked out by Bailey". Why make the trip at all so?!! why put yourself in harms way when you don't need to. On top of this, she was seen by numerous locals before her murder and was said to have been anything but freaked out or nervous. Funny how she didnt make any mention of this odd character Bailey to anyone local in the days leading up to her murder, even to ask what he was like, was he odd, etc?

4) "Bailey would have been able to keep quiet about Sophie" Again, more nonsense, he could have easily mentioned her in passing in a non sexual/romantic context so why would he need to worry about what his partner Jules Thomas would think. If he is a full blown alcoholic as you say, it wouldnt have been one bit surprising for him to say he knew of a French film documentary married to a very successful French producer. Its exactly the type of thing Bailey would have talked about especially after a few drinks as its well known he's a blow hard and likes to be considered amongst the elite in society.

5) Its not unreasonable for Bailey to say he was in bed all night initially because no doubt at that stage, he knew through various media sources he was being set up for the murder by the gards and he knew that without an alibi, he'd be potentially in deep ****. I dont blame him one bit for this, its the sign of someone who is maybe panicking because he was being painted as the murderer falsely. He did write an article that night however and this has since been corroborated by the paper in question. When Jules Thomas was wrongfully arrested and then heavily pressured with regard to her statement, she frequently mentions how the gards continuously told her Bailey did it.

6) This is the funniest part of all. So you actually believe Bailey was going around West Cork back then, naked & howling at the moon in the middle of winter after a few drinks. And then that night, proceeds to walk miles to Sophies home, murders her in the most horrific and violent of ways because she rejected his advances before walking another 4km to Kealfadda bridge to wash himself clean & then walking all the way home, then shortly after, making his partner Jules a cup of coffee before then deciding to report on the crime. Sounds like Hercules to me and one of the best actors around.

7) A man falling off a cliff is one thing, a women being murdered in the most horrific fashion in an area where there hasnt been a murder in god knows how long is another thing. So what if he wasn't his usual self especially after a heavy night on the sauce, its not unreasonable either but on top of this, you're given credence to the gards in this instance but have sought to discredit them in many other instances. Either you believe they did a good job or they didn't, you cant pick and choose what aspects of the investigation you want to include in your post. Get off the fence.

8) Each point of evidence needs to be looked at in isolation because otherwise you get miscarriages of justice. If the evidence from one witness is flawed, it may totally discredit another piece of evidence. And the vast majority of evidence in this case is flawed because it relies on corrupt garda statements, witnesses who have a strong motive to lie on top of zero hard evidence even though the chief suspect was willing to give up his DNA. The french system took into account statements from Marie Farrell, Leo Bolger, Alfie Lyons amongst others which have long since been discredited/retracted and rightly so but they didnt want to hear it, mainly because of the pressure the French government have been put under from STDP's family.

9) Nobody is definitely saying it was a night time or morning killing but its not unreasonable to assume it was either. The wet circular drops of blood on her body and clothes would have pointed to a morning killing rather than a night time one as well as the food type she had eaten which were found in her stomach. Nobody knows for certain either way & no one is saying for certain.

10) STDP's husband had serious motive to murder her, Bailey didnt. A very high percentage of murders of married women involve their husbands one way or the other. The Irish gards were not allowed to properly investigate the French connection. He was in financial difficulty, he had a new partner pregnant within a couple of months, he refused to accompany the family to Cork, he said he didnt think Sophie would have an affair but this was found to be nonsense as Bruno Carbonnair gave a statement confirming she had at least one with him and that her husband knew of it. It wasnt at all unreasonable Bailey would have thought as an investigate journalist at the time that he might have had something to do with it.

11) Everybody knows the garda investigation into this crime was at best incompetent, at worst, highly corrupt with a motive. Just because people rightfully believe this was the case, doesn't mean they wouldn't have been able to get one shred of evidence linking Bailey to the crime, not one iota even though they were trying to pin it on him. Strikes me as highly strange in a murder as violent as this from a crazy drunk guy roaming around the countryside in the middle of winter miles from his home howling at the moon.

Your post has to be one of the most ridiculous ones I've seen on this thread.

Even stranger is that Daniel Toscan du Plantier buys his wife a house in Ireland so she can spend time there to cheat on the marriage 

almost like getting rid of her or giving her a distraction

Lyons says he's 90% sure, not 100% as you would expect him to be if he did actually introduce Bailey to her.

true 90% means nothing really

The thing is Daniel Toscan du Plantier had without doubt the highest motive to get rid of Sophie. Her death without doubt has solved many problems for him.

Even more, if as it was suggested Sophie was in the early stages of pregnancy? by Daniel, but Daniel was already looking at his next wife and she was expecting as well??

Also Daniel was apparently in "financial trouble" whatever that meant in Daniel's situation? He must have had motive to end the marriage to avoid a messy and costly divorce, to cash in on the life insurance and get rid of Sophie's unwanted pregnancy, - if the child was actually his?

We don't know what Sophie discussed with Daniel on the phone, we only know that they have had a phone call. What was the urgency to discuss with her husband that couldn't wait until the return to France, with the very husband who was neither too interested in the house in Ireland and spending time with his wife there, nor the marriage to Sophie?

Unless the local drug ring was more lucrative, I'd say Daniel Toscan du Plantier's motive was the highest of all. Often in murder cases it's a "follow the money" thing.

Even more, if as it was suggested Sophie was in the early stages of pregnancy? by Daniel, but Daniel was already looking at his next wife and she was expecting as well??

Look, no one is saying that we all need to be experts here, but if you're going to post something at least take a few minutes to verify your facts.

His next wife was not expecting when Sophie was killed. And no one has verified if the baby he says Sophie was having was supposed to be his or not.

Regarding the aspects of their marriage which you say you have a particular difficulty understanding , they seem to have had what is called an open relationship. He let her phuck who she wanted and she let him phuck who he wanted.

Grasp your pearls!

I guess if we’re willing to consider the possibility that the hit was instructed to look like a crime of passion (which I’m not, but more than willing to entertain the possibility of a hit in general) then it stands to reason that the hit could also have been supposed to look like a punishment for Sophie’s complaints about drugs/as a warning to other ‘snitches’ etc.

Daniel would have known about the drugs in the area, I’m sure Sophie told him that she had made a complaint about it to the guards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In that case it would be very easy to say, spray paint rat on the property \ car.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Yes that’s true.

Daniel and Melita aside, and Alfie and Leo, there’s still Bruno Carbonnet to consider.

He tried to kill Sophie once for gods sake and was his alibi really just a receipt??

Lets not forget the discarded bottle of wine...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭dmc17

Not in a night dress alone, but the dressing gown on top would provide sufficient warmth and if you were just popping out for a moment it would be more than enough

The pregnancy matter surprised me as well. As far as I recall it was mentioned in this forum. Whether it was true or not, I or we don't know. It was alleged that the pathologist didn't mention it, it was also non mentioned in the documentaries.

The fact that it was an "open marriage" makes things even more difficult to understand the circumstances of the murder. It leaves more possibilities more unknown factors.

What I have also found is the following blog. It's a bit of a longer read, but with lot's of information - some true, some speculation:

https://koudekaas.blogspot.com/2019/12/the-murder-of-sophie-toscan-du-plantier.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The wine bottle was most probably relevant to the case. Amazing it is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

Where is the evidence that Sophie made a complaint about drugs to the Gardaí?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

when a question was asked in Dail Eireann about why the French authorities were not getting answers to questions they had with regard to this case, the reply from, I believe, Minister John O' Donoghue was that any questions were being dealt with through the "usual diplomatic channels". I've employed that term with my children ever since.

• Advertisement

Another thing that came to my mind: It's probably nothing, but still a detail to consider.

At the night of the murder and the following day, Sophie's rental car, the Fiesta was always parked beside the house, that part which she apparently didn't own. Why did she park there? She has ample parking on her own property on the other side of the house? I mean, you don't normally park on somebody else's land, if you've got space of your own. Could this suggest that she was perhaps expecting somebody to visit her and come by car who would park in the space she owned? This could have been the cleaning lady / caretaker the next morning or somebody planning to visit that evening night?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement