Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

Sorry if its already answered on the thread, but are Addresspal relabelling items and including electronic customs data?

Daughter specifically thinking of ordering something else from the US, and I have Addresspal.

I also have myUS.com but when I asked them about electronic customs the answered saying "they provide all the necessary customs paperwork" which didn't inspire confidence that they understood the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I think some in the thread said you'd have to pay twice and the Addresspal staff is as unhelpful

I know you'll get charged both UK and then Irish VAT if you use Addresspal UK, but I was wondering about Adresspal US.

I've used addresspal US loads of times in the past, and they email you for a copy of the order, so were doing customs declarations then. I'm just wondering if they're doing electronic ones now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Sigma Sports got back to me. Despite having an IOSS number and clearing all vat and import duty at check out, they are getting parcels returned to them from Ireland!!

An absolute disgrace An Post are.

Post edited by Flaccus on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

AddressPal US should be ok, it doesn’t come through the UK.

• Advertisement

Thats what I'm thinking (hoping, praying.)

And as Addresspal is part of An Post surely they will be compliant with the electronic customs requirement themselves... or maybe thats too much to expect!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yep AddressPal US is fine. Had a record delivered there last week and it's due for delivery tomorrow. Was charged customs (Irish) on Friday for it but no issues at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

Some interesting caveats in Address Pal T&Cs:

15. Customs

An Post is authorised by the Customer to complete and file customs documentation (including electronically) in respect of the Item on behalf of the Customer and as its direct representative using information provided with or relating to the Item and/or provided by the Customer.

The Customer shall provide An Post with any information it requires to complete customs documentation.

The Customer is responsible for ensuring that the correct and complete documentation (including electronically) required by Customs is securely attached to the outside of the Item or otherwise provided to Customs in a manner acceptable to Customs (including as electronic documentation) and acknowledges that, notwithstanding that all or part of the documentation is presented to Customs by An Post, that An Post has no responsibility to the Customer in respect of it and indemnifies An Post for any fines, costs or losses incurred due to submission of unacceptable or inaccurate documentation or due to any delay in presenting such documentation (including electronically) to Customs.

Any queries as to the amount or assessment of any Customs Charges must be raised directly with Revenue.

16. Return to sender

An Post may return an Item to sender or otherwise dispose of it including by handing it to Customs or a law enforcement agency of any country in any of the following circumstances:

(a)

In the event that the AddressPal number is not provided to An Post in its entirety

(b)

The Item exceeds 20 kg or does not comply with these terms and conditions

(c)

The Customer fails to provide information concerning the Item to An Post when requested to do so

(d)

The Charges (including Customs Charges) are not paid

(e)

The Item, in the opinion of An Post, contains Prohibited Items or An Post is unable to determine what the Item contains

(f)

An item remains undelivered for a period in excess of three (3) months because An Post is unable to deliver the Item to the Customer Address due to failure of the Customer to accept delivery or the Customer fails to collect an Item from a Collection Point.

In the event that an Item is returned to the sender because of any of the circumstances outlined in condition 16.1 above the Customer acknowledges that the item is returned at the risk of the Customer and that An Post has no liability to the Customer or responsibility for ensuring the safe return of the Item to the sender.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Surprised this one hasn't picked up steam. I don't see how anybody can defend An Post with anything that has gone one here the past couple of months. They have turned buying outside of the EU into a game of roulette.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 PhilHill69

Yes, this thread on twitter should be picking up steam. It has An Post over a barrel, and also a member of An Post team completely contradicting the information from their own website. I suspect An Post are hoping this one just vanishes. If ever there was a can of worms to open, here it is on a plate.

• Advertisement

I think someone here suggested it may actually be a Royal Mail error that resulted in the parcel being part of a batch categorised as coming from GB. A big problem here is due to volume there's no root cause analysis for returns, no explanation and no accountability for errors. Just tough luck and try again.

The issue either isn't as widespread as we feel it is on this thread or it's one societal wide case of bystander effect where many people have been impacted and irritated but not bothered to make a formal complaint or let the politicians know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

See most people will see a package missing and ask the retailer for a replacement because there’s no national coverage people just think they got unlucky. Trust me it’s happening to everyone. At work I here it most days about packages being lost.

For whatever reason Amazon U.K. has no issue I get stuff in 2-3 days. If I use zavvi lately it’s been taking 2-3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

27 days since I refused incorrect customs charges for a parcel to be returned and no update since the 10th September from AnPost

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Mr321

Ordered stuff from a UK company and they emailed me saying to cancel it as everything they send TO Ireland the Irish customs are sending back to them and playing silly with the new rules and IOSS codes.

An absolute disaster as I know alot of people this is happening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BuyersRemorse

So after my item was returned to Japan, I was talking to some people in work, and basically everyone knows someone this has happened to. I also got a Japanese friend of my wife's to contact customer service at the Japanese shop I ordered from to request that they resend using DHL, but I got this reply:

"We are afraid to inform that we cannot resend the returned item.

If the package for your order we sent would be returned to us since

the delivery was failed due to the recipient''s responsibility,

we shall proceed with refund followed with our policy.

Please note that we cannot resend the returned items.

Also, please note that we do not return the amount other than the product value, ie-freight.

Your order will be under the procedure of refund as soon as we receive all the items

returning from the customs in your country.

We will let you know via e-mail when the procedure of refund is completed.

Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your understanding in advance.

Best regards,"

So a super limited edition that I pre-ordered back in June and now have no chance of finding unless I'm prepared to pay silly money is now gone for good thanks to An Post going slap happy with their return to sender labels. The Japanese girl who helped me said that all her friends had had everything sent back to Japan - family packages, gifts, shopping... Everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Someone get onto rte this **** needs to be on the news ffs anpost have royally messed up and it’s been going on for weeks now

And have you both made formal complaints with An Post and contacted politicians? Like I said, we seem to be experiencing bystander effect here where not enough people impacted are making clear complaints through the appropriate channels. It takes some perseverance and time but if we all avoid that effort and discomfort no one will look at this or do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BuyersRemorse

I've already gone to An Post both by phone and email and get referred to their online guidance for the new regulations. There's no acknowledgement of any problem. I'll be contacting my local politician though, as the more people I talk to in real life the more the scale of the deception is apparent.

I made a complaint at the weekend after I sent my reply to their email and had no response, screenshot it before sending as proof for Comreg, hopefully it helps. It's a long process but have to try it.

I wasn't sure what place to send it to on the site so think I sent it to postal services or something

• Advertisement

So has anyone had problems with what they bought from England and An Post /Customs sending it back?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Seriously? 32 pages and look at the title of the thread. Have a look at a couple of pages at the start and end for an idea of what’s happening.

Yea I understand that but alot of talk from Asia, thankfully so far I've had no issues with stuff coming from China. Some by post, some by courier.

Just think its mad that I can pay €4 postage from China and watch it be tracked every step of the way yet pay €14.50 to an post to send something a few counties over and if I'm lucky just see it scanned at the post office I posted it at.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Had one sent back to the US and another two to the UK. Thought it might be some EU incentive to discourage outside bloc purchases but seemingly it's an Irish issue.

Look up #NoPostAnPost on twitter too for a flavour of the issues. Several UK merchants stating they won't export to Ireland for the minute as everything they send is coming back and we're the only jurisdiction they're having issues with.

Certainly in financial services sometimes you'll only get joy after you exhaust the complaints process of the institution and refer it onto the Ombudsman who then may take months to adjudicate. It's the only way to force an independent determination on the acceptability of a practice or level of service. There might be no joy from Comreg either but some cases need to be pushed that far, particularly the ones where An Post seem to have been in clear error like the CN22/CN23. Even getting stung on that may force them to re-evaluate things.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

YOU get on to RTE! Why ask others to do it?

I've been onto RTE News, Joe Duffy, all the other radio, tv and newspaper organisations as well as several politicians and got nothing but silence.

There's something else going on behind the doors!

Sent some personal items (clothes and books) from US to Ireland. Went through Dublin and then sat in Portlaoise for 10 days. 5 days after that, the tracking says it's in London Heathrow. When I asked An Post they said customs paperwork was incorrect and has to be sent back! It was all done electronically! I think this is just the tip of the iceberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They processed my package again, its been stuck in a loop 4 times now, is there any point in ringing them these days?

• Advertisement

I think you need a last response date to reach out to an advocate and a customer service reference number too but no sign of that. If I get a reply I said I'd be using that as the final date. It's so annoying it's not straightforward.

Probably won't do much but at this stage I may as well do it all and when I move to ComReg ect I've proof I tried it all and not sent back and forth. At least if so many ho to ComReg or Ombudsman it might make things awkward for them

Advertisement