Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identity of unknown building on 18th century map

Options
  • 26-09-2021 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

I'd like some opinions as to what this structure might be on a map (survey and plan) from 1730 in the countryside of Tipperary. There are only two, presumably stone, structures shown within the townland. One must be a house and the other which is right beside it and has a domed roof with a dot on the top of it. (Perhaps its just a normal pitched roof but the ink has curved it)

What could this domed structure be?

The blackened strip leading into the house must be an avenue and the other black square-triangle I believe to be a water source, maybe highlighting the well or something. Not sure. Very odd. The width of the avenue is also completely out of proportion, there would also be a deep dike at the same location running along the black strip. BTW, the map is to scale, at least all the fields and roads anyway.

I have also attached a picture of a church highlighted on the smae map (just outside the boundary of the townland) for comparison.

The house is still there on the ordnance map of 1840 but the domed building is gone. See attached picture.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

It's something I had considered but how likely really.

It would mean a deep chamber underground which is now filled in. No obvious signs of there once been a circular structure at this location.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭XLR 8

Could it be a lime kiln or similar type building used to make charcoal ?

TBH it wouldn't be a big fancy estate just a townsland that a well to do family would have been in possession of. The house does not exist today and would have been gone even by 1900 perhaps even a few decades before. So not a big house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Well to do protestant landowners?

Maybe a private family chapel.

(I'd be interested in a link to that map hbloc, if it would be ok)

Thats not a bad suggestion. Something else to consider for sure. But would it not have a cross and not a dot over it then.

Yes well to do and most likely protestant.

Its not online, its in the NLI. I=ll send you a DM

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,493 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The dot could simply be a mapping symbol to indicate the dome roof.

If it hasn't a deep cellar could it be a smokehouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It looks as though it is part of the Down Survey, which is available on line.

I cant find anything similar on any historic map legends unfortunately.

Your smokehouse idea is not a bad suggestion. Thanks.

No, its not from the Down survey it was a survey and plan carried out by the owner (presumably) in 1730.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I can't help you myself but I found this site http://www.ancestry-maps.com/page-legend.asp and the nearest thing I can see on that similar to your dot is a tiny circle which is supposed to be a chimney or tower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 _Artemis_

I know this post is a couple of months old, but I've just read it now. I have a suggestion to throw into the ring, could it be a dovecote?

Here are some different styles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

My guess would be some sort of folly which were often built as part of a landscaped garden which could have been attached to the house. At an angle to the dark line that may be an avenue approaching the house there is another fainter line with dots either side that runs from the avenue to a point just above the image of the house. This line could represent a tree lined walk in the same garden as the folly which might just have been something similar to a gazebo where the owners of the garden and their guests could sit and enjoy the views of their surroundings with a doomed roof to keep the rain off. The structure may not have been very substantial, and if not built from timber that simply became rotten and decomposed, and made out of stone, this may have been salvaged to form part of other buildings constructed in the area after it fell out of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,982 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Yeah there’s a few follys in Tipperary

Thanks for all these suggestions. All very much appreciated and have all been considered.

Due to the proximity to the main dwelling and the fact it is located in the gardens / orchard I think the folly idea could be a good one.

BTW there would be spectacular views from this very location (as it is elevated) and a place to entertain in the garden overlooking the surrounding areas is certainly an option.

The clincher would be of course finding another map or survey with a structure with a dot above it. However that dot could just be the surveyors individuality and not an official legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 _Artemis_

In the 18th century, dovecotes or pigeon houses were popular. They would have been used to supply eggs and meat to the house. As time went on, they became less popular and were either left to ruin or used as follys.

My guess is that the dot above was to indicate a domed roof. Another guess might be that it is recognising a weathervane or something along those lines.

Post edited by _Artemis_ on

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭kildarejohn

Have you considered the possibility that the "dome" might not be a building at all? On 19th/20th century large scale OS maps symbols were used to indicate where boundaries changed, e.g. from "centre of bank" to "face of fence". On 18th century maps I have seen quite ornate star-like symbols indicating where a boundary changed. Given that this "dome" is at a sharp angle in a boundary, maybe it is just an indicator of the boundary, possibly originally marked by a boulder or small cairn/pile of stones.

Advertisement