Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What doesn't hold water is needing to wait another full month before restrictions are fully lifted. If that is indeed what happens.

They could have been lifted months ago, everybody knows they could be lifted today, but no, we need to wait another full month.

That doesn't hold water, and hasn't for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I think you know the answer to that .

McConkey jumped the ISAG wall around that time so not representative of that particular breed of 'expert ' from around June on .

This is one of the most bizarre lines on the whole situation. Every change has to have an arbitrary end point. And it will always be that. The “science” doesn’t change from one day to the next. If it’s September 26th, October 22nd or December 25th it would be arbitrary with no appreciable difference in the “science” one day to the next. But time is like that. It is directional so changes will always be at some point after the decision is made to make the changes. Be that 10minutes or 30days later

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

We're a conservative country. We haven't changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

We are only conservative when it comes to Covid

Dan O'Brien was on the radio earlier

He's still baffled at the way the government are spending money like its irrelevant

• Advertisement

Dan O' Brien...he wasn't happy from the beginning . Against the EWSS and the PUP until he copped on enough to shut up about it . He's an economist , what do you expect from him other than an economic viewpoint ?

It's like David McWilliams , anybody interested in how he would have handled the pandemic ?

Par for the course for the NPHET government.

Throw on another few months lockdown, sure what odds.

Throw on another few billion of debt, sure what odds.

Consequences? Sure what odds. Not like anything would ever be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭jackboy

It typical pre bust behaviour. Very hard to stop extreme spending before something catastrophic happens. The ironic thing is that Sinn Fein may be in power by the time that happens and may have to enforce the next austerity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Dan is an expert in his field. To which he has regularly expressed concern at Ireland's lack of caution when it comes to money during this pandemic

We can't fund the health service on rounds of applause moving forward

We have an incredibly expensive health service, the more we spend today to keep the lights on, the more we need to cut spending in the future

The health service wont be immune to those spending cuts

An economist was the right profession to handle this pandemic.

All it needed was to look around Europe and follow whatever most European countries did regarding restrictions and testing. Covid wasn't unique to Ireland

Instead Ireland closed construction and forbid antigen testing.

That was unique

It won't just be the health service though .

People saying that over and again like some sort of personal threat . Not just you .

Fact is it is not my health service and tbh while I am obviously interested that all goes well in the future it isn't anything I can lose sleep over . It is beyond 'fixable 'at this stage .

It's like a black vacuum / whirlpool that sucks everyone in who tries to change it in and spits them out , mangled and broken

It's been going on like that through my entire professional life and before that and no doubt will be an issue for future generations .

Many of us have represented and tried to change things for the better in our own little patch , sometimes with a good result. But the level of bureaucracy is really extreme and often these little good patches get sucked in and reversed down the line due to mismanagement in other areas .( Can't be any more specific on the thread ) Very frustrating and soul destroying.

The Irish people will continue to be affected if it isn't reorganised , as in Sláintecare , and funded properly ,

The four pillars of our society that need to be properly managed and funded are Education, Housing, the Economy and Health.

No government can afford to neglect any one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

We had a conservative response because we are a conservative country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Any word about the MOO variant? When is that taking hold?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

https://twitter.com/aginnt/status/1442147665655988227

Are there any aussies around here posting? Would love to get a personal insight into what it's like over there, it seems surreal really. Do most Australian people actually condone and support what's goign on? I have to say if Ireland was still enforcing such behaviour I would feel very left behind the rest of the world, hard to believe any country is still reacting to COVID like this in 2021. This is 2020 hysteria stuff , the police force should be ashamed of themselves going along with such nonsense, what an insane waste of resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Whats the context? Someone looks to be getting arrested, for what reason?

The woman almost looks relieved he's being arrested.

What's your take on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Guy being arrested is wearing a red hat. I'm assuming it says some variant of MAGA on it.

That instantly tells me he's probably a fvcking moron, so I'm going to need to see something that explains why he shouldn't have been arrested.

Interesting mentality that.

"I'm going to need to see something that explains why he shouldn't have been arrested."

I remember when "Innocent until proven guilty" was a thing. Now its, "He probably deserved it".

Yeah, you can spin it that way if you want. Short, context-less video of an arrest of a guy wearing a red hat, tweeted by a conservative Trump-supporting, anti-reality Twitter account.

But yeah, we should definitely assume that it's an unlawful arrest. "Innocent until proven guilty" can spin both ways. The cop deserves the benefit of the doubt too that he was carrying out an arrest in good faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Australia is Zero Covid utopia hell place now. Wouldn't want to live there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I havent seen any mention of this here, apologies if a repost - the guy who was convinced to leave hospital by a conspiracy theorist has died.

RIP to that poor man, Id imagine he was very much confused who's advice to follow when that whole debacle went down.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

The whole restrictions situation is beyond bizarre now. Covid is nothing but a mere cold to the vaccinated now.

• Advertisement

Yes some are , but most are too wrecked to be contemplating double jobbing after their busy shifts . Not to mention that many non nursing staff have been trained to do swabbing and vaccination under supervision ,as nurses are unless retired too busy in their day jobs .

You, however, as usual generalise and exaggerate to suit your narrative .

And throw in one or two untruths to embellish and garner as much 'thanks 'from equally discerning posters.

There is no plans to vaccinate under 12 s here , for example .

That would be a lie .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

It's a New York Yankees hat.

I've a friend in Melbourne who said it was like living in a Covid free world at Christmas and then **** hit the fan coming into their winter. He's said the mask requirement is a bit excessive as you need to wear one while out in the open, with massive space between you and the next person. Said Police were going out of their way to approach people in quiet areas of the parks or beach to tell them to put a mask on.

Beverly Hills, California

There are some on here who realise that it's insane to suggest that Covid is a complete scam, so instead they've moved to claiming that some people are deliberately keeping Covid measures going in order to line their own pockets.

They probably think that swab numbers are being manipulated to stay high, and that they're going around deliberately spreading the infection in hospitals too.

It's no less of a ridiculous position.

Anyone thats getting twenty six euros an hour and fifty six on a sunday for vaccinating is making the most of the opportunity to make a few bob.

I see we are now setting up vaccination centres in Third Level colleges even though we have fully staffed mass vaccination centres, some nurses I know couldnt reply to emails to staff these pop up centres quick enough, these nurses are already doing thirteen hour shifts in mass vacc centres on top of the day job.

And we know nurses like the long shifts because this means they only have to work three days, plenty of time then to have another job.

So, no, we definitely dont need to pay anyone a bonus or hand out extra paid leave, we are all in this together, right.???

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

Money talks and bullshit walks, that has always been the way and will never change.

His point is valid, these people are working extra hours because the money is fantastic, not because they are donning the green jersey.

Loads of people making a killing out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

1,049 new cases, 310 patients in hospital, 66 in ICU. Noticeable drop in cases but just one day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Be nice to get under a 1000 cases

Hopefully some time this week

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

RTE showing a documentary tonight on “ cocooning “ . They are like a dog with a bone they just cannot let it go . They thrive on negativity

• Advertisement

" loads of people making a killing out of this " ...

In reference to nurses that post there is a prime example of misinformation , begrudgery and trolling.

If somebody has the qualifications and above all , the energy after a hard weeks work to work an extra shift in centres that were crying out for staff , why would that be an issue to some ?

If that was your child qualified as a nurse or physio for example , would you not be saying " go for it , and if you can earn a bit extra , do ! "

Cos they sure as hell won't be getting anything for nothing....they work hard , and entitled to be paid for their work and qualifications .

Do you really expect people to work extra time for nothing?

I don't think so , just more disingenuous comments.

Advertisement