Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed test apps

• 27-09-2021 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

I have the same two speed test apps on my iPhone and on my AppleTV.

They give different results on each device and the Oakla app uses different servers on each device and it seems random severs each time.

Is my router also changing servers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

What AppleTV do you have? They unlikely to have the same wifi chip as the phone and if you've an AppleTV HD, and you are wired in, it only has a 100/10 network port so it'll max out below that.

Most services like Netflix, Youtube, AppleTV+ don't really need more than a 40mbit connection for 4k dolby atmos/vision content, consistent connection is more important that a faster speed.

You can change the server on the speedtest.net app, on iPhone swipe up where it shows your ISP and tap "Change Test Server" I'm not near an Apple TV atm but I assume there's similar.

Unless it's impacting the streaming of video/audio I wouldn't even bother to debug it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Sorry I should have said in the first oust that I can manually change the server in the Oakla app on both devices but I’m confused about why it is using different servers for the test.

Is it that the devices are using different server?

Yes there is a problem with streaming - I am in a rural area and I can’t the minimum 25 mbps for 4K streaming. I always have more than enough for a HD stream but occasionally the image goes fuzzy so it clearly is dropping from time to time.

And also the audio drops from Atmos to stereo and then back again - only cause I can think of is that I’m the speed is dropping too low to maintain the Atmos stream.

However I can’t find any information on what sipped is required for Atmos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The speedtest app does a ping to all servers and it chooses the lowest one.

If you can't get a more stable connection that 25mbps, you'll probably have to play around with the permutations of having 1080p plus atmos, or 4k with 5.1. or probably 1080p stereo. I'm not 100% if this is something you can set in the settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I forgot to answer your previous question - it an AppleTV 4K 2nd generation.

You can change the video streaming quality in the Settings but as afar as I know it will just play the best available quality - if the signal isn’t good enough for 4K it just stays at HD.

Are you saying that keeping it set to 4K might be affecting the consistency of the video and audio quality? That if I limit it to HD 1080p that I would get a more stable HD ?

I had not considering it so I will test it.

If that also makes Atmos stable then it will be great.

Thanks for suggesting it.

Edit: Changing the video quality to HD 1080p doesn’t bring any improvement. The image still gets fuzzy and the audio is switching between Atmos and Stereo.

Advertisement