Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

We absolutely should not be investing more money in a LNG interconnector. We should improve electricity interconnectors with Europe and invest in migrating homes from Gas to electrical cooking and heating, and shut down our gas power stations replacing them with renewables

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

earlier this year i had a car sit on a workshop because no parts could be sourced from GB. These were new parts from VAG. The workshop had six of seven cars all waiting for parts, and all different European manufacturers.

I was told that the manufacturers will continue to treat us as part of the UK market and that, as customers, we would pay for that. So our cars will become more expensive.

Not sure if anything has changed since.

Gas supply is another aree where there has been no government planning.

And the same applies to building and construction. Because we have followed UK standards in so many areas , we are stuck importing from UK. All our electrical outlets and plugs for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

This is fine for 50 years from now, but what happens should the UK close or reduce the pipeline to meet their own needs in, say, a year? We burn more coal. Apparently Ireland's burning 413% more coal this year vs. last due to lack of natural gas, and the price.

It's absurd to continue to rely on a pipeline from the UK with no backup, nor will conversion away from Natural gas to renewables happen fast enough.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/european-energy-crisis-a-wake-up-call-for-irish-policymakers-1.4684125

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭yagan

It's the garage telling you that they're not sourcing non GB parts. I needed a new muffler for a car and my garage had hooked up with a supplier in Netherlands as going via GB had been taking too long. Any garage blaming the manufacturer aren't trying.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It is VAG that are not trying. VAG Ireland are a sub-office of VAG UK and all supplies are handled through UK as it is also a RHD country. Now, I am not sure how many parts are handed, but it is not that many (a boot lid is a boot lid), but - there you go - it is beyond them to change, but they will be charging the Irish customer for the extra costs.

M&S already do this - we pay an extra 20% over UK prices for the same items.

Leo should be screaming from the house tops about this - he does about many other (inconsequential) things. He should be pushing VAG Germany to reorganise their supply chain.

• Advertisement

No it isn't, you are just plain wrong.

i queried with the local VW main dealer. The parts had been ordered through them. And they could not tell me when they might be delivered because they were coming from UK and delays due to Brexit. And they told me, unequivocally, that this would not be changing. It suits the manufacturers to see us as part of the UK market.

The car was under warranty and oem parts had to be fitted. The parts did arrive about a month later. I had the use of another car.

I'm not plain wrong, I just didn't know you were tied into a UK based warranty. Whereas I had zero delays with a garage ordering parts from the continent.

You may want to factor in ties to GB when purchasing your next car.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Leo should be screaming from the house tops about this - he does about many other (inconsequential) things. He should be pushing VAG Germany to reorganise their supply chain.

Why do you just mention Leo?

No Uk based warranty.

An Irish car bought from VW Ireland

Why are you insisting on introducing atypical supply chain. Presumably i could hop on a plane and buy the parts in Brazil if i wanted to.

i am talking about an irish car, bought from an Irish main dealer. No UK warranty, a simple VW warranty tied to the Irhsh distributor.

And I was shown five or six other cars in thr workshop also awaiting parts. My repair was handled by an insurance company because it was the result of an accident and so i was restricted.

Tell me any VAC/ Mercedes/Renault main dealer who will source spare parts from suppier outside the main manufacture supply chain?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

Quick question on storage: why not just pump water up a hill, and let if flow down when energy is needed? This is such an obvious solution, requiring no battery technology, that there must be very good reasons that it is not used more widely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,336 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

there is one in wicklow but I assume everything needs to be just right and nobody wants all their mountains concreted over

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

It is used here somewhat:

Practically we'd have flood big parts of the country like Killary Harbour to scale it up.

Ireland is mostly flat- we don't have the fjords or mountain valleys that would be most suitable.

We're deviating from Brexit but the likes of Turlough hill possibly wouldn't be allowed because our mountainous areas (where presumably this would be) would be both Natural Heritage Areas and possibly a Special Protection Area for birds under the EU Birds Directive (and probably many other reasons).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Can we get back on topic please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Image of 'Global Britain' seems to be taking a hammering. The petrol and food shortages are being widely reported across Europe, the US and beyond and media are directly linking it to Brexit. The spin masters are going to have a hell of a job trying to deflect this away from the 'B' word.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There was a chap from the Netherlands on talking about low standards in the haulage industry and that 3-month visas aren't going to fix anything. I'd be inclined to agree.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It doesn't seem like a serious fix, if anything more like a cheap publicity stunt and not even intended to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I did miss one point @Akrasia made, that we shouldn't do an LNG interconnector, presumably meaning a pipeline to the mainland. I don't have any opinion on whether that's a good idea or not; but right now, we don't have any way to import natural gas other than the pipeline to Scotland. We at least need some onshoring capacity like a port, and some storage capacity too, for exactly the reasons @ancapailldorcha makes.

Otherwise, hey, we can continue to fall back to burning coal😜

For the Brexit experts, any idea if the UK can reduce the deliveries from Scotland? And, would that directly Norther Ireland, too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

3 months visas aren’t going to even start solving the issue, unless they charter in plane-loads of Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi HGV drivers. And if you’ve seen how those drive in dashcam vids on YouTube, well…

EU27 countries face their own shortages of HGV drivers, and compete with each other for drivers across the FoM-enabled Single Market, oftentimes with equally good pay-&-perk packages and better working/travelling conditions.

Which PL, RO or BG HGV driver in their right mind, is going to look up a 3 months stint-with-strings-attached in the nationalist binfire that is today’s UK, over a minimal-red-tape permanent contract in postCovid-surging FR, DE or NL (e.g.)?

And that’s before we get into the minutiae of HGV license equivalency/swapping and assorted other red tape, and the very widely circulated (amongst the EE driver community) conditions in which EU27 HGV drivers were sequestered in Kent last Christmas.

Just more chickens coming home to roost, and there’s a mountain of those more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

But the problem is that the only real fix is basically rejoining the EU single market and customs union in some shape or form. That's a massive political problem for the UK internally.

• Advertisement

In fairness, this is the nature of most Tory fixes, ie try and solve the problem without offending the base. I even saw headlines asking if they were "betraying Brexit" by allowing more foreigners into the country. Ironically, part of the narrative was that the UK would issue visas on a per sector basis.

They could have done an Australia and just said this job is in need so here are long-term visas. And visa on arrival for any truck driver in Dover.

I'm not going to go around in circles with you, but I haven't ordered anything online since January that comes from a GB distribution hub.

if you want to stick to GB for sourcing for everything then knock yourself. I've already got car parts from elsewhere in the EU so it's going forward it's your choice if you want to avoid GB delays.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seems to be working. There's a whole cadre of blinkered muppets on line combating anything about fuel and food shortages saying the same thing is happening on the continent. It's not being reported there how bad the UK situation is in comparison with the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

The problem is the UK isn't Australia a huge continent separated by sea. The UK has a rail connection to the mainland Europe and shares a border with another EU state. While bringing in a long-term visa would be better it still won't solve the fundamental problem caused by Brexit and the requirement for borders checks which the UK has still not implemented. By leaving the EU, the UK has reduced it's alternatives for the supply of goods and services/increased the cost of doing business. Why would any haulage company do business in the UK and deal with the added cost of border checks on goods and associated visa costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

It will be interesting to see how EU drivers etc respond to the relaxing of the visa rules.Even as a British person who wants the drivers to return I'm disgusted by the condescending way it's been presented.

In what way is it being condescending @RobMc59?

People warned about removing the ability for free movement of people (and the other freedoms). The UK ignored all of this and jumped off the cliff. Now you think the EU should be criticised when we look back and say "I told you so"? Why should we be happy when the GB spends several years antagonising the EU only to be asked to help bail GB out when the predicted consequences happen?

Interesting to see how the next German Chancellor responds to this question...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Think we've already seen the reaction - Mostly disinterested and to be honest who could blame them with what's being offered?

"Hey , we know we kicked you all out but could you come back and dig us out the hole we created for ourselves?" , "Oh and by the way - Make sure you are out of our country before Christmas after you've delivered all our stuff"

There's next to no chance they'll get even close to the numbers they need right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

There was a Polish truck driver who is/was based in the UK on LBC this morning. He said judging by the whatsapp groups that he is in there is no appetite for it. The 3 month limit makes it entirely impractical given the need to move country, find accommodation etc when they can just do the same in places like Germany or the Scandanavian countries where they are free to stay for as long as they want. Also they were treated abysmally last Christmas when many of them were stuck in that runway in Kent without access to clean toilets and having to survive on handouts from charity - many of them never want to return there again after that ordeal.

Advertisement