Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryder Cup 2020 [Official Thread!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Do you really think that there was no pressure on him? He went out first and had to get a point on the board.

I also think that there was huge pressure on him to not lose all of this matches

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

But that is the whole point of it - Winning on ‘away’ soil (which it isn’t even that for most players anymore).

Its the challenge of going to someone else’s course who sets it up their way and seeing if you can beat them. An Independent committee would end that challenge.

Anyway - Why these arguments just because USA destroyed Europe. I don’t recall them ever having complaints like that when they were getting hockeyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Personally I just think we saw the best US team ever. And I stress team.

All the Koepka DeChambeau stuff was overblown

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

We're clearly the underdogs and you'd expect the Americans to win the majority of these. The world rankings are flawed and I wouldn't quite say that they accurately reflect who is the best in the world, but they're a decent guide. And they blow us out of the water in them.

But golf is a funny game. It's far less predictable who will win in a head to head. If you look at the win percentage of the golfers who have played in it, a win percentage of over 60% is exceptional. This time around the American's played great - considerably better than you'd expect them too. The opposite could be said of us. Next time around if we play well, the Americans below expectations we could easily win it. I wouldn't be hitting any panic buttons at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

As disappointed as i was watching there is no way Padraig should receive any guff, all the players looked interested and determined they were simply beaten by a much better, younger and in form team. I think the americans have had their changing of the guard, which we are having now.I can't see Poulter or Westwood playing again and garcia would do well to make the team the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,947 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

When did the US last win in European soil?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 86,250 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was McElroy crying?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

They are just better players, playing in their home country in front of their own fans. No shame in losing, some of the old timers ran out of steam, some of the newer guys just aren’t good enough. Regroup and look forward to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Hijpo

But doesn't the pool get even smaller if you are limiting yourself to three form picks. If you had nine tour players in great form and you can only pick three of them. That's handicapping yourself significantly.

As mentioned above, the captain has the choice to increase his picks, could it be that Padraig took the difficult decision and tough conversation out of his hands by getting Westwood, Hatton, Fitzpatrick (who doesn't even have half a point in the ryder cup I think) in by default.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,712 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The European boat had already sunk on Saturday night, there might be some pressure, but when it mattered most, like a lot of the team, he didn’t perform. At least he did on Sunday, but that is not new.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

McGinley saying bring back Seve and/or Asian Trophy.

My memory is these events didn't really get any of the Ryder Cup players playing them so lacks sponsorship.

It takes a lot to get the European USA based players to get on a plane outside The Open and events in Middle East.

That is just reality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

I don't agree with you. The challenge is enough with travel and home fans rather than having to contend with a home course set up also imho.

The Yanks haven't won in Europe since 1993, Europe needed a miracle to win at medinah. The US team practiced at the Whistling Straits course a week before any of the European team set foot on it. I wouldn't be surprised if they played from tees & to pins in the same position as day 1 of the Ryder Cup too, Judy for good measure. No wonder they couldn't miss a putt day 1!?

I think there are simply too many ' unfair' advantages conveyed on a home side currently & this leads to one sided victories imho.

Post edited by daithi7 on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

He was sent to win a point and did that, saying it was easy on Sunday imo is ridiculous. He beat 4th ranked best golfer in the world after playing horrible golf for 2 days before that your are blinded by your obvious hatred for the fella. Each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That’s an awful mentality to have - the achievement winning ‘away’ is supposed to be so big. Can’t be negating that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,947 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Think Westwood will have a serious job on his hands in Italy to extend that run. We'll likely still have Rose, Stenson, Poulter, Casey, Sergio hovering around so Westwood will need a few new names to emerge.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Who said it was easy?

Blinded by obvious hatred? Put the dummy back in, do you have heightened insight into whether posters like or dislike a player (neither in my case), he played horrible golf for 2 days (your words) when it mattered, and good golf when it didn’t. Is that blind hatred? Of course not, but accusing someone like that is blindingly something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Alex Noren should've been on the team, one of the few form players at the time of selection. I would've picked Rose as well, but beyond that there wasn't a lot else that could've been different.

As has been repeated ad nauseam the American lads played to their ability which on average is higher than the Europeans while the Europeans (vast majority) didn't play to theirs. Not a lot more to be said.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I don't think different picks would have had a meaningful impact, Poults was let down badly being paired with Rory, he was essentially out on his own, Sergio did v well and Shane was again let down by being out with Rory and yesterday was up against a machine in Cantlay

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

It still mattered when he teed it up on Sunday morning. He had no idea how the rest of the team were going to do. He did his job.

Not sure about Noren, he is just about inside the top 100 in the world now. He has slipped nearly 80 places in 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Realalemadrid

Noren is ranked 60th. Up from 94 at the end of 2020.

Has anyone argued otherwise?

He played crap the Fri/Sat, good Sunday when there was less pressure as the European team was doomed before he teed off. Playing well on Sunday having sucked in earlier rounds is not out of character. Why you think that is blind hatred is known only to you, I know the site has undergone changes, is mods trolling posters now a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Medinah has been the only close Ryder cup in the last 10/15 years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Luis21

The captain decided on his picks by asking each player ... LAST WEEK.

What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Realalemadrid

Celtic Manor in 2010 and Medinah in 2012 both 14.5-13.5 in favour of EUR.

Between 1983 and 2002 - only once was there more than 3 points between the teams in all that time. Its random enough. Only a few thrashings mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Yes, because you spelled his name wrong 😥

Read the Charter, no Grammer Nazis please

Post edited by slave1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

With all due respect it's your mentality that is off.

In any other reputable sport, the shameless setting up of the home course & extra practice sessions to suit the home side would rightfully not be tolerated.

It's leading to hugely accentuated home advantage (which is already large enough imho) which is skewing the match as a fair contest, and taking from it as a spectacle imho, leading to runaway home victories bar the very odd win against the head.

If it was up to me I would set up the course through a neutral oversight committee, and ensure both sides had the same access for practice and no more. That would make it a less skewed & better contest & spectacle imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

How do you know he asked each player? No issue with the pairings being revealed to the players last week. That would be for day 1 only don’t forget and the way the players practiced it was fairly obvious they all knew.

The US players were on site a full week - 10 days ahead of the European players so they all knew the score the week before.

did you expect Harrington to take out a pen and an a4 page on stage on Thursday evening and start jotting names down? If he didn’t tell them well in advance there’d be a problem. So I dunno what the joke is.

Advertisement