Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debit card over the phone - authentication requirements?

• 27-09-2021 10:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭

Do the new authentication requirements (using mobile apps etc.) for online purchases also affect purchases where you read out you your debit card details to a supplier over phone? Given that you don't give the supplier your PIN, how else would the transaction be authenticated if not using the mobile app?

I am having problems getting the mobile app setup for one of my accounts but wish to use the account to pay for something over the phone. I could just try it and see if it works but if the transaction is declined I am wary of this might flag a problem and cause the account to be frozen, resulting in more problems.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭wench

It shouldn't need the app to work.

They are normally treated as a card/customer not present transaction, and the security is provided by giving the three digits on the back of your card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,021 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Theoretically true.

However some Irish banks are choosing to decline these "mail or telephone order" transactions unless the company you are purchasing from has implemented protocols which call the new app-verificarions.

Advertisement