Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Oh, so that is where you are going, trying to create a pedantic definition of anti-vaxxer to exclude the poll findings. Understand now.

Well, it doesn't really make a difference what way you want to go about this. SF voters are more anti-vaxxer than other parties is the simple way to say it, but if it helps, we could also say that SF voters are showing much more reluctance than other party voters in terms of getting the Covid vaccine.

You cannot argue with the latter, and if I abbreviate it to say SF voters are more anti-vaxxer, that is clearly fair comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭CDarby

As I said, you're not going to throw this one back on me, so from your point of view the FG/FG have been commemorating criminal acts by way of official state commemorations for a century and counting.

Have you lobbied your local FG branch and asked them to cease these commemorations where they glorify acts of criminality markodaly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

I have constantly told you that you are misusing and not aware of the term. That is were I am going. You are calling people anti-vaxxers to try demonise them because they didn't vote how you'd like. That's your agenda.

It's not fair comment it's lying at this stage.

Yes seems marginally more shinners are vaccine hesitant, (several months ago). So what? What is you point? I've seen you try link these exaggerated 'points' to other opinions like one supports the other. You are trying to create a negative stereotype around members of the public because of how they voted. That's far right tactics IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This isn't the FF/FG thread. This is the SF thread.

I started the conversation where an ex-SF TD spoke publicly over the weekend, where he declared that the PIRA were not criminals. This is the person who picked up someone from prison who was convicted in a court of law for murdering a Garda. I guess that wasn't a criminal act either.

To summarise, the PIRA planted bombs in many civilian areas and gave little to no warning often, which resulted in women, children, toddlers and babies being blown up. Do you think these were crimes? My view is that they were crimes, in fact, the Geneva Convention would constitute them as War Crimes.

So I will repeat, do you think the bombings of Omagh, Warrington, Guildford and the murder of Lyra McKee are crimes. Just be brave and say that in your opinion they were not. Because we all know from your previous attempts to dodge, deflect and ignore my previous questions amounts to.

Splitting hairs to save SF blushes doesn't work.

Vaccine hestitant is just a nice name for anti-vaxxers. I am just calling it as it is.

• Advertisement

A few things:

It's not splitting hairs. One describes people who are anti-vaccination, the others, from the poll you supplied, where asked would they trust the vaccine. Just because you don't think something is right for you, it doesn't mean you will protest against anyone else taking part.

Secondly, it's not SF's blushes, you are attacking members of the public for leaving FF/FG and voting SF or simply for voting SF. Not everyone who votes for a party are a member of that party. Of course if you are saying Sinn Fein, the party, are anti-vaxxers and can point to their policy on that, fair enough.

I am pointing out the facts, that SF voters are more anti-vaxxer than other voters, that isn't "attacking members of the public". You mightn't like that truth, you may want it hidden away, but it is there in black and white.

This isn't the FF/FG thread. This is the SF thread.

What have killings carried out by the IRA, the British Army or Dissident Republicans, (possible future Fine Gael Senators) got to do with Sinn Fein?

Not facts, lies.

More unwilling to take the vaccines, not more likely to protest or support no vaccines for anyone. Also you are counting people who use to vote for other parties and likely will do again.

Not hiding from anything. You are repeating a lie so you can link members of the electorate to other unrelated stories using the false anti-vaxxer story as some form of support, (if they do A they are likely B).

I don't like people insulting the Irish public for an agenda.

What do comments by an ex-SF TD have to do with SF?

Try harder, please. :)

• Advertisement

It's very easy. You are asking questions about the IRA and dissidents in a Sinn Fein thread. If you want to directly quote the former SF TD, sure.

Your whole angle seems to ignore the facts that the IRA operated outside the law. Being IRA was illegal. You also ignore the complexities. If the BA murder someone it's not illegal unless the British government decide it is. Every action the IRA did be it killing or not was illegal and criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,471 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Is she from the Cabra area, buddy?

oops….. did not realise this poster was recently thread banned.

Apologies.

Again, that is simply not true about the British government.

The Crown Prosecution Service is independent of the British government. Therefore, the CPS can decide that an action carried out by the British government is a crime. It is a fallacy and a lie to suggest otherwise. It is the same in most democratic states. The government and officials can be held to account for illegal acts.

Martin Ferris ex SF TD stated that the PIRA were not criminals. I am simply asking in what world does he live in where the murder of innocent women, children, and babies is not a crime? And as per usual, we get the usual layer upon layer of whataboutery from people who cannot admit that killing a two-year boy with a bomb is a crime.

Do you think the bombings of Warrington, LeMons, Guildford, Birmingham or the Kingsmill massacre were crimes?

It is all there in black and white in the document that I provided to you.

Instead of going back to the original source material and pointing out where I am wrong in your opinion, all you have done is shout louder that I am wrong. That isn't going to convince me or anyone else.

Nonsense. Are you that naive? It took them 35 years to apologise for bloody sunday. They are bringing in an amnesty no party in the north supports to let BA murderers off.

In one were he believe the IRA were an army fighting in a war?

Not whataboutery, it's the context required. If the IRA killed you under any circumstance it was a crime. If the BA killed you it likely wasn't or would never be investigated impartially.

Yes, all crimes under British law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

SF are the political wing of the IRA. The only party in the state that is supportive of and commemorates the actions of dissident republicans. Any comparison with the civil war period is complete nonsense, that was a hundred years ago and all participants are dead.

The fact that SF are considered an option by so many people is really an indictment of the other parties.

I completely agree they were, SF wouldn't.

They commemorate the deaths of those who shared their politics. Other parties celebrate and commemorate killers. Depends on which killers you like.

SF don't support dissidents and vice versa. Read up.

I think people vote SF thinking about housing and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BackOfMyBag

the dissident republicans actively oppose sinn fein stance on the peace process , they believe the sinn feiners took to soft ab line with the british etc , and have threatened the lives of sinn fein members . saying they are supportive of , and commemorate dissident actions is just uninformed guff .

how can you comment on this thread , a thread about sinn fein and not know that ?

• Advertisement

Yes, people vote for SF with the hope that they will solve the housing crisis. Mainly based on fact that Eoin O'Broin wrote a book about why social housing is the answer and how much he likes the Austrian model of social housing provision. But, he has no experience of delivering any kind of housing at all.

He could write a book about how to reform the HSE, it doesn't mean he has a clue how to do it. Politicians are great at talking, not so good at delivering though. If you have an educational background in an area but no experience, you are basically a new grad. I feel sorry for the people that are laying all their hopes on SF and I am grateful I don't need to rely on the state to provide housing.

Mainly because FF/FG make an arse of housing year after year and don't seem to care enough to stop filling their pockets long enough to amend that.

Any monkey can buy or lease housing and make things worse. Some people want better.

We know FF/FG made a balls of it, simple logic to look elsewhere.

Maybe it is because it isn't an easy problem to solve. Builders won't work for free, the state has a limited amount of land it can provide. But the situation is that we will be relying on the councils/PS to provide the housing, so expect delays and overruns.

The irony will be that a SF government in the Republic will make a UI less likely. Moderate unionists that would need to be persuaded will see that they should rightfully be worried about a UI. But, I think we need to have a SF government anyway. People will need to find out the hard way that free stuff for everyone isn't really a policy.

Thanks for proving my point!!!!! I had forgotten that bit.

If they have to bring in an amnesty for British soldiers by legislation, it means that the default situation is that they can be prosecuted, which is exactly what you are trying to deny.

The Provisional IRA were dissidents (they split from the Official IRA) and their actions still get the full support of Sinn Fein. If you can point me to any public statement by a SF leadership figure that says the actions of the PIRA were wrong, I will accept that. Until then, SF have supported dissidents.

It isn't. They have no problem making it worse. It's been ten or more years now. Time to move on.

Situation is we have been relying on the private market spending on 25 year leases with no option to buy. Not clever.

A UI will have zero to do with unionists, moderate or not. Unionists don't want a UI.

I find the 'People will find out' stuff funny. What a housing crisis, health in a mess for decades, the IMF at our door?

Free stuff for everyone? It's this government supplying luxury apartments instead of council housing.

What point? This is nuts. Seriously. By bringing in an amnesty to protect BA killers they are showing that BA killers could be prosecuted...but are not going to be, and that proves there's merely the pretence of justice. This proves you point? 🤣

You originally said "If the BA murder someone it's not illegal unless the British government decide it is".

That is simply untrue. The reverse is the case. If a member of the British Army murders someone and the CPS decides that it is a crime, then they can be prosecuted for it. The only way of stopping that is for the British government to bring in an amnesty, which they have yet to do.

So you were wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

Sinn Fein and the PIRA knew the members of the dissident republicans that carried out the Omagh bombing etc, they knew them because a few weeks before they sat together plotting

Did SF or the PIRA assist at all in trying to capture those people? no they didn’t.

The dissidents used guns and bombs provided by the PIRA. Still today the guns etc getting used are from the arms the PIRA brought in.

If SF had full interest in peace and turning their backs on teh past they would stand up and give information to the Gardai and the PSNI, they don’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BackOfMyBag

Sinn Fein and the PIRA knew the members of the dissident republicans that carried out the Omagh bombing etc, they knew them because a few weeks before they sat together plotting

do you have a source for this ?

please note , plucked from your arse is not a reputable source by the way

Advertisement