Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra Bank Holiday and other compensation for Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I know some who were amazing , and others who were no help at all .

It's going to be so divisive tbh , not worth it . Just look at the shvtty comments on this thread already .

There were many on all sides going beyond what they should be doing but in the end of the day you will always get the same groups looking for whatever anyone else gets regardless of whether they were on the true frontline or not . Who is going to draw that line without ructions being caused, so it will end up for all or for noone .

An extra bank holiday for all is probably what will happen in the end .

No clapping or lighting candles if they have any cop on . 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

There will be industrial war if it’s only for certain sectors. Has to be all or nothing.

pots pitching the public sector against the private sector spectacularly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Most physios and other therapy grades were reassigned to swabbing clinics.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Maxface

Why would retail workers be included in this? Those private companies that took in huge amounts should be handing out bonuses to their staff that worked throughout this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

"The true frontline".

The "frontline" was always manipulative bullshit, I see we are now getting to the cherry on top.

• Advertisement

I suppose that’s where the proposed Bank Holiday will come in, as the businesses would have to fund the holiday and not the Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yeah heard similar from my HSE contacts, some really stepped up, some just behaved as they normally would, which was to be as little help as possible.

And those absolute gobshvtes getting rewarded would nearly make any award stick in your craw !

Nearly ....! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

They simply mustn't be rewarded for imposing totalitarian rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Looks like sense is prevailing with the BH the only likely option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i think the first monday in february would be the perfect time for an extra bank holiday, it would have a great benefit to economy after january and kickstart things again in pubs/nightclubs/hotels, kind of an offical end to a dry january. 6 nations matches start that weekend as well as intercounty GAA leagues, it would actually have a very good affect on peoples well being and on the economy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭snowgal

yes thats not a bad idea. They seem to saying sometime between christmas and new year though, imho, Ill go with 27th!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Christmas Eve would be pretty nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Some TD mentioned having it on the last Thursday in November which would sync with Thanksgiving in US, sounds a good idea for tourism, that or Black Friday which is the day after would get my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

any day bar monday is a disaster for a bank holiday, a day off in middle of working week is absolutely useless, friday not great either has to be a bank holiday on a monday, i would also propose at this time is perfect for changing the paddys day holiday to the nearest sunday and having the monday as bank holiday, let all parades take place on the sunday or monday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭billyhead

The 27th will be a holiday day anyway because Christmas falls on the Saturday thus the 27th @ 28th will be bank holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Between Christmas and New Year will be awful. Most medical grades will have to work anyway, as you can't have too many days next to each other without full patient care. Even when Xmas and Stephens Day are Saturday and Sunday.... for instance this year. You get 25, 26, 27, 28 off. At the very least you have to work the 28th, some places the 27th, because you can't just be on skeleton staff for more than two days.. patient care suffers.

Most hospitals would have staff working one or the other anyway so it makes no difference. Just one less days taken from annual leave . Everywhere I have worked anyway .

What specifically are you talking about ? Investigations , labs , scans and xrays ? Its all emergency cover over Christmas period .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

How dare RTE mention Nurses, doctors, emergency staff and public transport workers last week without acknowledging the most important workforce of all!!:

Teachers look to be part of pandemic bonus talks

Teacher unions have said that they expect to be involved in any discussions around the acknowledgement of workers' contributions during the pandemic.

In a joint statement the Association of Secondary Teachers in Ireland, Teachers' Union of Ireland and the Irish National Teachers' Organisation said that "teachers' extraordinary efforts both face-to-face with their pupils in crowded classrooms and in the online learning space have allowed schools to continue to prioritise teaching and learning while meeting children/ young people's needs".

The statement follows calls from health sector unions, the National Bus and Rail Union and the Association of Garda Sergeants & Inspectors for some form of special recognition of their efforts during the pandemic.

Didn't take them long to get out of the blocks........tyen again, what would you expect???

• Advertisement

Of course they would. Teachers sitting on their hands for months on end without a cent lost from their collective salaries, advocating for additional benefits. Colour me shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Whoever came with this idea about bonuses and days off needs both a drug and an IQ test. They must have have known it would turn into a shitshow. Before I get hammered I'm neither for or against this idea it's just a sideshow that will drag on and the eijits who dreamt it up must have realised it was gonna get messy. Either scrap it completely or every worker in the country who dealt with the public gets the same whether private or public worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,983 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Every worker in the country will end up getting it.

It's dressed up as recognition but really is about business for the hospitality sector. My money says mid November or mid February.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If they gave the bonus to people who had exemption letters from their employer it would benefit the majority of people who couldn't work from home during the lockdowns. But instead it'll end up going to all the admin staff who sat at home not answering their phones or emails.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 9,415 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Can this government decide anything without flying so many bloody kites first? Show some leadership. They should just ask NPHET, they delegated to them ages ago.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Give them all a nice award in the form of a certificate they frame and can put on their mantlepiece. What's the issue unions? all have been acknowledged?

It's sickening to think unions are lining up for a pay day for all their members here. My wife is a private sector nurse and worked 12 hours 7 days a week during the height of this and had some very rough times. She's not looking for anything, but it's galling that someone in a public sector union who wasn't at the frontline would get a pay-out at both of our expense as tax payers.

They can bore their grandchildren with tales of their heroic deeds during the Great Pandemic, thats reward enough for them.

• Advertisement

100% with you on this.......i work a 4day week, Tuesday off, so you can see I might have an ulterior motive

Advertisement