Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

If i remember rightly Conroy had very limited game time that year if any at all!

Just on your point of suspicions of him not being a good manager. There is no valid argument for those suspicions. He is without doubt one of the top 4 or 5 managers in the country. In his first term he toke Mayo from losing to Sligo and Longford to repeatably beating the reigning champions and making it to 2 finals in 4 years. Second term he toke mayo who were very much in transition to again making it to two all ireland finals in 3 years. He is a very good manager and has shown it again and again. BUT he has also shown he is not good enough to win an All Ireland! Maybe a small detail and me being pedantic but I think there is a very big difference, maybe the difference between being a good manager and a great manager!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭The Silver Branch

Admirable and all as those achievements are, it's not 2011. Mayo need one and only one thing from a manager now. Someone who, by hook or by crook, will find a way to get them an All Ireland.

Where he is and who he is.. that's the problem!

Hopefully the 2020 Cillian O'Connor will return next year. He was missed on the big day.

AOS' day has come and gone. Sad to see, he gave his all. The harder he tried v Tyrone the worse he played.

Need another high octane season out of Lee Keegan, 32 in November. The backs will be ok. If Mayo could unearth a gem of a forward, something we've often said. But a strong mobile forward who scores regularly from play to aid the lighter forwards.

Loftus and Ruane have a bit of redeeming to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lillielad

Someone to play beside Ruane is massive too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭HBC08

Although neither played well in the final,Ruane was arguable our best player all year and is a shoe in an all star.

Loftus had his best year since he started even though he's being played out of position.

I'm not sure how or who they have to "redeem" themselves to.

Agreed.

DOC (has been out of form at hf) and has always done pretty well at mf.

Mullen if he stays.

My own choice would be solid and dependable Stephen Coen who could play a bit defensively and cover a bit when the wing backs push forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,480 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I see Freeman is back in the Aghamore team, not good news for Knockmore

I think we could struggle tomorrow

As wide open a championship as there has been in a long time, Castlebar probably rightly favourites, I'm hearing great things about Walsh and Heaney coming through from the U-20s, but you wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make it past the group stages. Likewise if we didn't get out of our group it wouldn't be a massive shock. Breaffy, Garrymore and Ballina, Ballintubber are fairly straight forward winners of their groups IMO

If anyone, you or I, played badly in an All Ireland final, any player with a hint of competitiveness in them would want to get back to that stage and play well. It's the biggest stage of all. Ruane and Loftus had very poor games in the final. It's probably the Mayo problem in essence, playing well all year, which is great, but not on the biggest day. Wouldn't you like to get back and play well/star in an All Ireland final?

Great players play well on the greatest ocassions... Lee Keegan for example. In any sport, your Tom Bradys, Maradonas etc. As a sports person you wouldn't be happy with yourself if underperforming on the biggest day of all. It starts with your own pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

• Advertisement

Well with that attitude you're beaten already. If that's what a Mayo fan thinks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Freeman was ripped with flu. He went to close someone down in the corner and didn't have the legs. He signalled to sideline to be replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

It is very unlikely COC will return to anything close to his previous level. His injury is very serious and career threatening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Brusna

The bookies have Ballintubber 5/2 favourites and then not much between a group of 5 or 6 teams including Castlebar (5/1).

Don’t know how Ballintubber are favourites especially without COC. I think Ballina will beat them this weekend.

I agree it’s hard to call this year. Breaffy (11/2), Westport (11/2) and Ballina (15/2) all did well in the league. I’d add Knockmore (6/1) to that group and expect the winner to come from that group of 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Fanofconnacht

The next problem Mayo have assuming JH does the honourable thing and walks (or the County Board fires him) is attracting a decent Manager from outside the county. Some of you may say that we have plenty of good managers inside the county and yes maybe there is a hidden gem here but at this point I think we need a good outsider.

The resaons we need one are probably the same reasons that will put the good one off applying.

• An incompetent County Board. The county boards role in this is to go out and find a good manager, agree the goals, roles and processes surrounding the Mayo Senior Team Organisation and agree with Manager the resources required to deliver success. After that they need to stay out of the Managers way. I don't think they are capable of doing this.
    • Player power. The Holmes \ Connelly saga showed that the players (most likely just some of them) are more powerful than some Managers. They deemed this pair not good enough after one season yet accept 7 failures from others. No good Manager will come in unless he know that he will be the undesputed Boss and that he has the complete freedom to pick whoever he chooses no matter what. I don't think that some of the current players would like a new outside manager or one not of their choosing as it would end many of their careers.

The last two times the manager position was open there was only one local applicant. It demonstrated what every potential outside candidate thought of the Mayo set up (as well as other potential internal candidates.) We can expect the same next time if nothing changes.

If the County Board are serious about winning an AI (which I don't think they are) they need to do the following immediately.

• Terminate JH contract immediately plus that of his backroom staff
    • Write to all players thanking for their efforts and telling them current championship panel is now disbanded and new manager will pick a new panel for league when he is appointed.
    • Approach Pat Gilroy or Jim Galvin or maybe both (or at least someone of this stature from sporting world) and ask them to propose a best in class operating structure for the operation of the Mayo Senior Team Organisation and to go out and find the best manager available to lead this organisation and deliver success.

Will they do it ? Of course not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I agree with your point about Jim Gavin. I’d say he would be a massive massive missing piece of the puzzle.

But writing to players to say that, by the way thanks for efforts and sacrifices over the years but it’s back to the queue you go with the others. No way. It’s not good for morale and there’s no need for it. If s was new manager comes in he will pick his own squad anyway in a low-key manner. No need to be over dramatising a situation that has enough drama to it already. The media will spin it in some way to sell newspapers. And we will be in the headlines again for some wrong reason.

I don’t know where the though that outside managers work in the GAA comes from. Dermot Healy, Eamonn Cregan and Eugene McGee with Offaly and O’Mahoney with Galway, that’s it in hurling and football in my lifetime all 20 years plus ago, and would say it was rarer pre 1980.

Putting the systems and structure in place within a county is what breeds success not a celebrity blow in who breezes in for a couple of days a week.

Ballintubber justified the favourites tag by the looks of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Brusna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Incredible how you want to get rid of a man on the verge of being canonised the evening of the semi-final win.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭boosabum

Michael bond also but you're on point. Outsiders people are referring to are all Ireland Winning manager outsiders and they don't manage other teams for the romance of it.

Very good post. I see exactly what you mean, and I agree with you. It's like far away hills are green, and people think that because someone has a good reputation within the GAA circles or was a good player, that they will walk in and revolutionise Mayo GAA.

I think a lot of it stemming from the Horan-O'Shea factor in the final, where many people feel that Horan was too stubborn to take Aidan off in the final (I think Horan has some Breaffy connection, but cannot remember what, Maybe work??). And it's fairly well know that he may have his favourites, and if you get on his wrong side for whatever reason, you're goosed. So I think a lot of people are proposing the "outsider" appointment on the basis that the internal politics will evaporate.

But sometimes, better the devil you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Very sad news.

Paddy Prendergast has passed away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Its sad that some people are making fun of this. Not on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There will be a selection of clowns telling us that Mayo people will be delighted.

We won't.

It's very sad for all us Mayo people that we have not been able to see him with the cup after Mayo winning it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,738 ✭✭✭Cartman78

RIP :-(

Read a few articles online from various sources and each one of them heavily features the Curse.... absolutely pathetic and very disrespectful to his family imho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

My thoughts exactly. Shows you how stupid some people really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Fanofconnacht

His passing is sad first and foremost for his family. Our sympathy has to go to them. It is also sad for the Mayo GAA family as we have lost the last of our footballing giants.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭SophieLockhart

And Thursday was the 70th anniversary of the last win, remarkable. RIP.

Seems the key attribute of a successful manager from outside the county is to manage Offaly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭supernova5

With the news over the last number of days I for one am going to smack down a whopping wager on Mayo for Sam 2022

They are practically dead certs to finally lift the cup after a 71 year wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭spakman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭MacDanger

RIP Paddy Prendergast, a GAA legend

The amount of people already today at work who have commented that "ye must be looking forward to next year now that yer man is dead" or something similar. The common theme that they think we were all hanging on an imaginary "curse" invented long after the alleged incident, and that they are so original in being the first to make this comment. And not one of them actually knowing Paddy's name...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

You forgot Mick O'Dwyer (Kildare, Laois) Paudi O'Se (Westmeath), Kieraan McGeeney (Kildare) Davy Fitz (Wexford) Anthony Daly (Dublin), Tommy Lyons (Offaly) and that's in a situation where outside managers are rare in both hurling and gaelic football.

Outside managers have a mixed record, good and bad, no more than inside managers.

If there is a better candidate outside the county than inside, then of course they should be tried. Its rarely the case but occassionally it does happen where you have an external applicant far more qualified.

I think the point fanofconnacht was making was, no player should ever again be picked for Mayo based on reputation and its the kind of sh*te that's always happened in Mayo. A player played a few blinders against Sligo, Leitrim or London a few years ago and becames an automatic first choice for the rest of his career or had one half of a good game against Dublin or Kerry.

Certain players can be invisible for 65 minutes, makes a few key interventions and then they are called legends, whereas the players who have been consistent over the 70 minutes in a low profile way are ignored.

Mayo need to prioritise finding 3-4 scoring forwards who can each score 3-4 points in big games if required. They need to find 2-3 6ft4/5 inch midfielders who can bully all around them (we don't have that).

And another goalie as competition for Hennelly (who by the way has improved and played a huge part in getting us to the final).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭oceanman

still though, if mayo do lift the cup next year people will think it very strange.

There isn't a hope of Mayo lifting the cup next year, largely because we don't have a team anywhere near the stature and character of the 50/51 team who went out there and grabbed their few AI final opportunities with both hands.

That Mayo team reached 3 finals, 48, 50 and 51. They won 2 and were blatantly robbed of the third. They were a great team, not just for Mayo but in the history of Gaelic football. Probably could have won a couple more AIs but for injuries and immigration.

There isn't a hope of Mayo lifting the cup next year, largely because we don't have a team anywhere near the stature and character of the 50/51 team who went out there and grabbed their few AI final opportunities with both hands.

That Mayo team reached 3 finals, 48, 50 and 51. They won 2 and were blatantly robbed of the third. They were a great team, not just for Mayo but in the history of Gaelic football. Probably could have won a couple more AIs but for injuries and immigration.

They have a grand total of Zero All Irelands as external managers. Grand total of 5 managers from outside have won all irelands in modern history, hurling and football, 4 with Offaly. And as shown by your list of excellent coaches, external coaches cannot do it without the players.

There is a great belief that everytime we haven't won it is because the manager has got it wrong. That there are better players elsewhere. Lots on here questioning all the Ballintubber, Breaffy and Westport players in the squad. Yet those 3 go out at the weekend and win easy

• Advertisement

I mentioned this way back before the 2013 final.

At some point in the game do some of the Mayo players (individually) come to the conclusion that losing the final is not that big a deal ?

If you think about it, losing a final is not unique to the guys who played on Sept 11th 2021, nor to they guys in Dec 2020, or 2017 etc etc

If, as a Mayo player you lose an All Ireland final, you don't stand out from the crowd.

So with the game slipping away from you, and you trying to get more out of your body and mind, does the Mayo player come to the conclusion that "so what, it's just another final, I've given plenty already this year, it's not my day".

I think it does, I think that pain of loss is dulled by the frequency of that loss.

And I'm not criticizing a player for felling that way in the end, it's natural I'd say

We as fans are the same, you lose you just shrug your shoulders and move on, it's annoying and frustrating but it's no different from the last one, or the one 25 years ago.

What needs to happen is that they need to see that winning it is just so so much better than losing again.

How that can be achieved I've no idea.

As you know success is relative. A county like Leitrim or Westmeath winning a provincial title is the equivalent of a bigger county winning an AI.

In any case, there's probably more wrong with Mayo football than just a manager change, but having a manager who knows what they are doing on AI Final day would be a help and we haven't had one of those managers since 1951. The gene pool of tactically able managers in Mayo is shallow as we've seen.

Do you even know what the management structure was like in 50 and 51? The team was selected by committee and the players had to make The best of it. It was the players that pulled them through. In 1950 a goalkeeper was selected from nowhere and after conceding a early goal Sean Flanagan basically had to tell him to get “injured” to get Wynne back on

Great line here by John Forgaty in The Irish Examiner

"How Prendergast’s passing is somehow seen as a release for Mayo is as distasteful as some of the comments aimed at Hennelly five years ago and O’Shea now."

it seems likely the season ticket will come back for 2022.

I wonder how this is going to work for the league with Machale park out of action?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I heard it was likely our home league matches may be played in Tuam,Roscommon or Sligo.

Interesting,id happily take Tuam or sligo,whichever has the bigger pitch.

As a rule i try to spend as little time as possible in roscommon.

Has there been an email yet or anything official?

I think i saw something on another thread last month,thats all im going off.

Speaking of emails,i believe if youre a season ticket holder and bought a tile you would get Mayo Gaa Tv free for the year which is a nice gesture.I havent got the email though.

• Advertisement

Can you name any player that had blinders against Sligo, Leitrim or London and has become an automatic first choice selection on the team from that? Regardless of their other performances.

I can't.

Advertisement