Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem using Verified by Visa and PTSB Debit CArd - PAN

• 19-06-2021 11:01pm

Is anyone else having an issue with this?

PTSB have introduced that you are now asked to input 3 digits of your PAN when using Verified by Visa.

Some sites don't seem to be set up to ask for this, - say they have sent a push notification with a code to your phone, but it never arrives and VBV cannot complete, so the transaction fails.

I've never had an issue with getting push notifications of codes before (so that is not the issue). Getting annoyed now, as this happened twice today, (on Tesco site and one other) and I had to use an alternative payment card, which doesn't suit me!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭jrmb

Is anyone else having an issue with this?

PTSB have introduced that you are now asked to input 3 digits of your PAN when using Verified by Visa.

Some sites don't seem to be set up to ask for this, - say they have sent a push notification with a code to your phone, but it never arrives and VBV cannot complete, so the transaction fails.

I've never had an issue with getting push notifications of codes before (so that is not the issue). Getting annoyed now, as this happened twice today, (on Tesco site and one other) and I had to use an alternative payment card, which doesn't suit me!

I had trouble with it today too. I think it's a new feature of the PTSB app. They used to send verification codes by text message instead. Their app has been down for maintenance far too often recently. I'm seriously thinking about closing my account with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mick001

I needed to get up to date statements to apply for a car loan which I did at weekend online. Cant access them at all as Im now not getting any notifications and I used to. Thinking there was an issue with my mobile I rang up the open 24 number to get them to change my mobile number to my work one, big mistake now I cant log on at all.

I then thought to go to one of the branches to collect up to date statements neither of the 2 banks I called would print them out for me at all. What an appalling level of customer service.

I am still having this issue, sites I can no longer use my PTSB visa debit card on ...

Tesco.ie
    Starbucks App
    Paypal

Each time it comes to the "verify by visa" screen, I tick my mobile number and ... nothing. No request for 3 digits from PAN, No authentification code, no push notification, and it just hangs. After a few minutes I get a message "authentification failed".

I contacted PTSB yesterday and went through a few steps with the chap on the phone to try and get it working again, including deleting and reinstalling the app, changing passwords etc, even though I'd already done all that.

The chap himself was baffled and said he was escalating the issue to his boss who was supposed to contact me today.. but didn't.

I am still having this issue, sites I can no longer use my PTSB visa debit card on ...

Tesco.ie
    Starbucks App
    Paypal

Each time it comes to the "verify by visa" screen, I tick my mobile number and ... nothing. No request for 3 digits from PAN, No authentification code, no push notification, and it just hangs. After a few minutes I get a message "authentification failed".

I contacted PTSB yesterday and went through a few steps with the chap on the phone to try and get it working again, including deleting and reinstalling the app, changing passwords etc, even though I'd already done all that.

The chap himself was baffled and said he was escalating the issue to his boss who was supposed to contact me today.. but didn't.

That's ridiculous, especially given the €6 monthly fee. I'm thinking about opening the free current account at EBS and using it together with N26. I've had it with PTSB.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Were they able to test the loop back to your phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Tork

I have had problems paying for things online too. All is fine until I get to the part where it's supposed to send the push notification to my phone. Then an error message comes up on the website. PTSB don't seem to have a clue what's going on and of course it's always the other website's fault. (How come I was able to pay using alternative methods?)

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Were they able to test the loop back to your phone?

Yes, and its fine - after uninstalling and reinstalling the app, I got the necessary verification messages about setting the app up, without issue.

The issue is purely on the verified by visa strong customer authentication. PTSB have made it a requirement for the customer to input 3 digits of their Personal Access Number as well as the texted code, but its (a) not asking for the 3 digits or (b) sending the code.

The chap on the phone did vaguely hint they've been having problems since last Wednesday.

I'm getting really irritated with it now, especially as they did not attempt to contact me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭smalltalk

Hi,I have had the same problem since last Sunday,my problem was with topping up my lotto account,verify with visa sent push notification but i did not receive the text.While trying to solve the problem earlier I had to change my Ptsb online password ,part of that process was a verification text which I did receive.

Tork wrote: »
    PTSB don't seem to have a clue what's going on and of course it's always the other website's fault. (How come I was able to pay using alternative methods?)

Same here. No issue paying with an Ulster Bank debit card or Revolut (for once!)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭smalltalk

Hi,did anyone get to the bottom of this problem,I'm still having problems with verify by visa.

• Advertisement

smalltalk wrote: »
    Hi,did anyone get to the bottom of this problem,I'm still having problems with verify by visa.
    Yeah, I've been trying to access my e-statements and I can't get them. The push notification thing wouldn't bother me if there was the option of getting an SMS instead (Microsoft, Google and Facebook all do this). Especially from a bank, this is extremely frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭beachhead

Working for me at 12.22am

Still nothing here. There are no push notifications and logging in on one device just signs the other one out. It must be an issue with my phone (Android).

Update: I've reinstalled the app and made sure my phone was paired, but there are still no push notifications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I was locked out of my account for security reasons. No idea why. Had to ring a number to reactivate the account, pressed "2" to be told the automated system is down, please try later. This has been going on for nearly three weeks now! Tried ringing them only to be on hold for over an hour several times.

I cannot purchase anything online. but I can top up my phone online. I can use the card in shops and access my account in an ATM.

Its ridiculous at this stage! Going into the branch at lunchtime but I presume I will get no satisfaction there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kmor

Hi,

Has your issue been sorted by any chance? I'm having the same problems since June, and as you say PTSB don't seem to have any clue. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas we can pass on. It seems to be mainly Irish web sites where I have the problem with payment, eg. passport office, motor tax office etc.

If it's mainly failing on Irish sites, does that mean it has worked for non-Irish sites? I've had no problems verifying using the app, but I've only ever tried it with my credit card, not my debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kmor

Thanks, yes it has consistently worked (to date) on non Irish sites, (both EU and non EU) but the ones where it definitely does not work is the passport office and motor tax office.

Advertisement