Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Yes you are not wrong: Just noticed that there seem to be many shunts active which may indicate that the battery is out of balance. 18 mV is also a bit high at hight SOC based on how our old L24 behaved. The car having sat for while could be the reason and in any case the batteries like when you use them instead of just letting them to sit at a high SOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

All done. Smug is what i feel when drivin it.

2014 private sale. Banked a grand aside for any unknown unknowns, but travelled 66km last night in rain with 50% charge remaining after.

Thanks for all feedback and guidance👍

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Enjoy, happy EV'ing and enjoy preheating this Winter!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

How do you mean on preheat?

The electric heater seems instantaneous enough so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Pre-heating is done using your app, and while its still connected to the charger.

Really handy on those frosty morning, set it going for 15mins and come out to a defrosted car, all warm inside.

Post edited by NIMAN on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Due a set of tyres for the leaf, any recommendations? Would like something very efficient to eek out more range.

6.96kwp South facing

Cheers. Yip, i know i don't have preheat model but feel confident enough with the option i have and the overall range that i can sacrifice some battery capacity to heat.

I thought all Leaf's could pre-heat.

Oops. Just gets better and better. Was confusing it with heated seats option.

Must read manual sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Selling my Gen 1 2011 Nissan Leaf if anyone is interested: https://www.adverts.ie/car/nissan/leaf/2011-nissan-leaf/23141541

Have also posted this in the for sale thread but someone in here might be interested.

If this post is a problem then can an admin please let me know and happy to remove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭ElitesTeam

Can someone tell me what the realistic range of a 30kw tekna leaf is. Was looking to change from a diesel but my daily commute is 90km so unsure if i will be able. will be buying a second hand one in the €10k range so wondering will the battery be degraded ?

My 2014 24kw Leaf with 1 bar lost could still do 90km on one charge, so you'd be grand with a 30kw.

Just driving in the last week or so, noticed in the dark how poor the full beam is on my Leaf.

Any recommendation for replacement bulbs to add a bit more umph to lighting up dark rural roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Deepwell

Looking for some advice to see if I'm interpreting Leafspy graphs correctly? 171 30Kwh Leaf with 3 bars gone. Based on Leafspy SOH = 65.4%, fourth bar should be about to go as less than 66.25% capacity. How long might it take for the bar to drop? Curious as to why car says 100% charged but Leafspy reports 97.7% SOC while at the end of the day the car reads 8% left and Leafspy says 10.8%. Anyone have any experience of claiming on the battery warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭ElitesTeam

Do you have a lot of mileage? your battery seems to have degraded fast than most for its year

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The XE spec cannot. The one with the cheap radio that doesnt have the standard screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

This is the second L30 to have this issue recently in Ireland. Another 162 30kWh is about the same on battery status, so both about to fall under the warranty replacement but no one else around to advise it seems? You would have to look at other cars close to the 8 year warranty limit to find similar, and can also look at Speakev (UK-centric) (https://www.speakev.com/threads/leaf-30kwh-11-bars-worth-the-risk.153303/#post-2887321) because there are more owners there.

For the light query, have a look on Reddit where there are a few similar queries but are quoting US prices.

Plus this thread on boards

Again, off-topic re previous post but my LEAF e+ has the usual wheel knocking issue with braking and is being repaired under warranty. It is nearly always the hub nut and that is being replaced. (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL7xkGlyrv0)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Does the car have a full service history and gotten all of the firmware updates? If you have much less than 160k km on the clock that's good as the battery capacity warranty is 8 years or 160k whichever comes first. If your car still have the original BMS firmware from 2016 that could explain why the battery reports such a poor SOH.

The LeafSpy display the actual SOC of the battery including the top and bottom reserves. That's why the value is always different from the number displayed on the cluster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

As previous poster said....

If your car still have the original BMS firmware from 2016 that could explain why the battery reports such a poor SOH.

I'd figure that out first as the car may not be down 3 bars at all.

Within LeafSpy go into the service menu and do an ECU versions check... in particular the "HV BATTERY" version..... can you post that to the thread?

Thanks for the responses above. I bought the car new and it has c.120,000km on the clock, my daily commute is c.120km which I can still do without topping up and have c.20% or +25km still left when home (over the last few months). The car has been serviced every year at a Nissan Main dealer and I have been told on more than one occasion that it has all the latest firmware updates. That said, the BMS version is 4NR4A so that looks like it could be updated and this may improve the SOH? Was looking at trading it in but want to see if it makes sense to hold on to avail of battery warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Lads I’m looking at a Leaf 2015 with 157k km on clock with 6.6kw fast charge for 8000. (24kw version)

Am I mad? Is that mileage far too high?

i’m aware warranty runs out after 8 years or 160k

battery showing as 11 bars. Haven’t plugged it into leaf spy app but plan on this weekend.

Novice here, but;

-what is your expected mileage and is fast charger a must for you?

- versus fuel, what would be your annual saving in €? Base off Leaf doing worst case 3 cent a kilometre in electricity.

-consider warranty as good as gone.

It might be worth setting yourself some cut off points as to what Leaf Spy results will make you walk away or renegotiate.

I had set myself an 80% soh, and also posted here immediately after and had valuable feedback.

I bought a late-2014, 24kwh, 96K km, 11bar no fast charge very very clean for €7k and well happy as it suits my needs until it goes below 60km range on a charge.

Yeah so the fast charge is where the price is so high but it’s very appealing to me. The fast charge is such a nice feature to have incase ever needed to go long distance and have to stop and charge somehwere.

I’d say I’m doing less than 3000km per year and it’s also to help the other half start driving as it’s an easy car to drive.

I do so little driving as it is, that’s the reason I want a leaf because I don’t need massive range and I want little tax and going to a petrol station is a pain.

I’m also fearful the government are going to remove the home charge grant and then they are going to tax petrol and diesel badly so electric cars will only go up in price. I’ve plenty of justifications for the leaf. So thinking of taking the plunge this side of Christmas tbh.

I’m worried that the mileage might be a bit high on the one I mentioned above.

Ok, but just to clarify from my side, i do not think price too high/low as i am not in the know enough on market.

Your annual mileage is very low, so i take back the warranty remark but it needs to drop below 9 bars for battery warranty?

I imagine, as in my situation, with those low annual mileages, a bar-drop will have the biggest impact on value at later date.

Yeah exactly. It’s currently showing 11 bars but now you have me thinking. Do I need the fast charge at all. Could save myself 1- 1.5k for possibly a car with much lower mileage and more reliable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

24kWh Leaf warranty is 5 years, not 8. It's well out of warranty by now

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Your battery isnt really degraded by 3 bars at all. Your BMS needs a firmware update to correct its calculation of the state of health. Its not a recall so the dealer wont do the BMS firmware update unless you insist on getting it done.

Your "HV BATTERY" version should be 4NR4C. That will probably give you back somewhere between 5-10%. Several on the forum have had it done. It only affected early 30kWh models.

Yeah didn’t realise that, not chasing the warranty anyway tbh. Still getting my head around the best model to go for. I think I’ll be increasing my budget a little. An extra k seems to go a long way with this car. I notice an extra k and im getting far better mileage with better batteries and extras.

some really good ones with fast chargers but upon a closer look are the lower spec then missing the reversing camera which is quite important. I’m just waiting to try and hit the sweet spot of spec/mileage/age.

I noticed some dealers and even people selling them are putting in the mid spec model as high spec. There seems to be a lot of confusion about what one is the high spec model and what isnt. I’ve seen people listing the Acenta model as (high spec model) when the tekna actually is.

I asked a guy in a garage today how many bars of the battery was shown and he couldn’t tell me. Said something like well it should do 144km so I knew he wasn’t sure.

Then rang another garage no photo of the dash again or else bad photo and he said car was parked right down the back and awkward to get to but he thinks it had 11 bars but wasn’t sure and told me to drop in and to let him know an hour before hand so he could move the car out for me.

This search is becoming a tiny bit frustrating.

I’ll go view some on Saturday in person armed with ODB and leaf spy app.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭oinkely

Warranty is out - 5 years only.

We have a 132 Tekna, with 96K on it. Had it a few years, from about 35K. Its lost one bar and to be honest you wouldn't really notice any difference. Still gives a very optimistic 144 km on the GOM in eco mode after a slow commute to work. Realistic range of about 80 to 100 km depending on driving style and road type. Hasn't changed much despite the very gradual battery loss.

One thing to watch our for is the snatchy brakes at low speeds, really hard to drive it smoothly in a carpark or pulling onto the driveway. I don't know if there is a fix for it but it is annoying.

Definitely worth looking for a tekna - heated seats and steering wheel are lovely on a cold day.

A neighbour has an ex taxi 132 leaf accenta with cold pack. IT was very high mileage when they bought it for a song about three years ago. Needed a front wsihbone at its first NCT and has been perfect ever since. Must check with them how its doing battery wise now.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'll give the dealer a call and get it done.

Advertisement