Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Spotted this on Instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

I'd say the Palace have no involvement. I guess when you have the Mayor and the Governor of NY in a specific place then they would have their own security detail as is particularly when they are together. As such, they leveraged actual VIP people in the Mayor and the Governor. Factor in Prince Harry, who despite his regard for it, is still a member of the Royal family and in the line of succession and security becomes necessary on the off chance of something happening. Think something about them being family of a head of state could apply as well.

It's all about the optics, making it look like they’re on tour being all influential and stuff. Have your PR call in a favour with the Mayor. Set up a photo op with a security presence and the Sussex’s then come across as the influential power couple they wish to convey themselves to be, the compassionate couple who come to pay their respects almost two weeks after the 9/11 anniversary . I think it backfired as the barricades set up and the security present contrasted against the fact that nobody beyond a gaggle of people actually showed up. No one cares. No major media outlets covered it. It must be such a drop for them to see how inconsequential and irrelevant they now are.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

@Be right back

Do you think the anon person mean Edward, Duke of Kent (Queen's Cousin) and Katherine (his wife) Duchess of Kent? It would make more sense given she was the long-time patron of Wimbledon giving out the prizes.

I was reading that thinking what does Edward (Queen's son) and Kate Middleton have to do with Wimbledon, but if it was the Kents it makes more sense. By all accounts they are lovely and quite genteel so any behaviour at Wimbledon that would reflect on them would probably be horrifying for them.

I suspect that while the anon account has a few grains of truth, and possibly M did throw her weight around a bit, I can't help but feel it's been exaggerated a bit? What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,343 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

any pics or film that would back it up?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I think it was Edward, Duke of Kent and Catherine Cambridge as she took over from Edward in representing Wimbledon. I do think there is some truth in it. Interesting point made that the crowd had to be cleared due to security issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I agree. While, obviously none of us know what actually went on, I would guess that is exaggerated, quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 BrokenWingz

There was an opinion piece about these two and their “important” visit in yesterday’s NY Post by Kyle Smith. Can’t post links, but it was hilarious!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Oh that article is brilliant.

I loved this bit quoting Grainne Maguire “This looks like Harry is her hairdresser and he’s looking into the mirror explaining what he did to her layers,”

He does!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,062 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Advertisement

Good God. I hope 7 year olds have better than this to learn from!

“Storytime with Meghan and Harry: Couple head to Harlem school where Duchess reads from her book The Bench to 7-year-olds to promote literacy”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10025197/Harry-Meghan-leave-Carlyle-Hotel-day-two-three-day-New-York-City-tour.html

Tone deaf. On the other hand, Harry was very casually dressed.

Harry was there too, but it’s all about Meagain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Is there really any need for the myriad of cars, tons of security, clearing surrounding tables, armed guards etc? It's new york, plenty of rich "special" people manage to live and visit there and even mingle with the hoi polloi on occasion

That's the case with all of the royal family really, imo, not unique to Meghan and Harry.

There's dire poverty in many parts of the U.K. and meanwhile the royal family are swanning around in eye-wateringly expensive clothes, and with all sorts of enormous houses, and palaces, on vast estates, at their disposal.

Shaking the humble paws of the great unwashed, then back to their uber expensive lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,062 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

why are the Americans facilitating them? They do more harm to the causes that they allege to support. They arrived with a procession of 20 cars to an event in NY, after jetting around. I am surprised the environmentalists aren’t calling them out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

haha, that's what I thought, looking first at this pic without reading the article, papparazzi got her in her PJ's..🤣 I think that's a bit on purpose though from the magazine..

I should add, my comment related to the 7.5k suit being worn to a school where there are lots of kids getting free school meals etc.

😂 re oversized pyjamas! I feel dizzy just looking at the heels, how do people walk in those! 😁

Commemorating the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks with the Governor and Mayor.

Holding lectures regarding vaccine equality.

Flying throughout the country to promote childhood literacy.

Meeting with local business owners.

Raising funds and creating grants for small businesses.

Partnering up with former presidents and their staff.

Having meetings in the World Health Organization.

Somebody tell Meghan that someone else is already the First Lady. Cosplaying as Michelle Obama while larping as Jill Biden.

• Advertisement

Big difference is that Michelle has class. Meagain doesn’t.

Isnt her book about Mother looking at the bench, reflecting on her son's relationship bond with his father? (apologies I've not read it myself) If so, that's also pretty tone deaf to crowd of kids who live in a district with one of the highest proportion of single parent families in NY.

"Here kids, here's a princess in clothes that cost more than your parent earns in 6 months to read a book she wrote about how rich kids have not only their own garden with a bench but also have a mom AND a dad."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,343 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the inability to read an audience not seen since the blooper reels of X Factor. Its pure car crash also something that they donated a couple of boxes of vegetables

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I read that somewhere about the two boxes of veg, and some copies of her book being donated. For no good reason, I thought of this, as I picture them hauling in the boxes of veg. (I know they wouldn't be hauling anything anywhere btw! 😂)

Meghan 'Piv-aaaaaaaaat.'

Harry 'Shad up, shad up, shad uppppppppppppp'

Meanwhile the same papers mention that the Cambridges brought the kids and dog to a pub lunch and the article was quick to mention that they were all dressed informally, had burgers, and not a whiff of security or preaching to the masses in sight.

Whoever plans their PR stunts is a genius😁

The exact opposite to H and M. Lots of criticism regarding cost of Meghan's clothes and use of private jet. One rule for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It's no wonder they dont consider his inheritance enough to live off and they have to constantly hustle for money when one trip necessitates outfits costing 10s of thousands of dollars. Not to mention, copious amounts of security and private jets etc. They must be blowing through so much per month to live that lifestyle.

Apparently, this is the "era of visibilty" Omid Scobie referred to i.e. that they'll be doing more tours and not only in the US. It just seems absurd for him to go to all that trouble, to move across the world, to destroy his popularity, to alienate and burn bridges with his entire family just so he can do a less prestigious version of what he took for granted before. There's also the pressure of doing it all out of their now financially independent pockets. Not exactly cutting their cloth. Really boggles the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Era of visibility ? For the many many ways we as a society are better in the 21st century, we really on the shitehawk corporate speak to describe things.

• Advertisement

And followed by Netflix cameras!

Advertisement