Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael D Higgins insists he is President of Ireland, refuses to commemorate partition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Francie. You’ve arrived late to this.

we all agreed cultural expression here is tricky, especially when some don’t want the other side about them.

we were trying to define what exactly ‘not wanted’ means.

we had sort of reached a consensus that it is easy when referring to Shankill or new lodge, but very tricky in Dunloy or Kilkeel - where residents have adopted very different approaches.

(this is the point where you will say, ‘let the parades commission decide’

i know a few kilkeel folk who say they like to see the republican bands coming through as it reminds them how good the loyalist bands actually are 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The repeatd lesson here downcow is that Unionism and partitionists attempts to diminish what the British and Unionism did will be resisted.

Nobody (or very few) are buying Unionism's victimhood or the attempt to blame the Irish for partition.

Cultural expression is fine and nobody has any issue with it, if it is respectful and non threatening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

The Irish Parliament voting for partition then is probably one of main reasons that such powers were taken from the Dáil and given to the people in our Constitution.

• Advertisement

Totally agree. I think every town centre should be regarded as a shared space. And arterial routes to and from it, for that matter

Are you claiming that Kilkeel is 90% unionist and 10% nationalist? (Because the 2011 census does not support that. Its more like ).

54.67% indicated that they had a British national identity, 27.60% had a Northern Irish national identity and 20.29% had an Irish national identity (respondents could indicate more than one national identity);

• Registered Users Posts: 12,129 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Lot of good historical discussion's there. Unlike this thread which is more like a novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I trust you are not spinning on purpose and have misunderstood. I specifically said ‘the town centre’ which is where the parades are. I was being conservative as it is nearer 95%. The wider kilkeel area is actually more like 50/50. Depends on where you draw your lines. Another reason why claiming areas are nationalist/unionist is questionable.

• Advertisement

Unsurprisingly you are hilariously wrong again 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,129 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

What a load of rubbish. The town's demographics are its demographics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Surely it is somewhat reasonable to differentiate between a town centre as the central part of an overall townland versus a residential area.

Essentially you're moaning about a Nationalist parade through the town centre of a 50/50 area (taking irrelevant digs about only appreciating it because it shows how much better Loyalist bands are....) while simultaneously moaning that the Orange are having restrictions placed on them spending hours blocking in housing estates that are majority Nationalist?

Pick a lane.

Where did I “moan about the parade”? Quite the contrary. I said it was great that the parade has not an ill word said to it.

But I appreciate your honest contribution to accept it was reasonable to refer to the makeup of the town centre

and you are feeding more nonsense to those who are detached from the situation. can you tell me anywhere this century where the Orange are spending hours blocking in housing estates that are majority Nationalist?

I don’t know why I bother responding to absolute nonsense like this. If we follow your criteria then no loyalist area in Londonderry can have a parade because you say that the majority of Derry is nationalist - so it’s all nationalist.

absolute nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Shoog

Derry.

Are you referring to Edenderry or Ballinderry?

They can't do it because of the Parades Commission but they try to. 2 years ago they tried to use their power with Thresa May to have the decision of the Parades Commission overturned to march where they are not wanted.

You are not fooling anyone with the 'this century' stuff.

• Advertisement

....Jesus you really read what you want rather than what is written. At no point did I state that it was reasonable to refer to the makeup of the town centre; quite the opposite. I stated that the town centre isn't the same as a residential area. I had no issue with the many Orange parades that have gone through my home town's centre for the record....despite it being a town with an over 60% Nationalist town....if they'd insisted on going up through residential areas, it probably would've caused more problems. Thankfully over in our wee neck of the woods, we have a bit more respect for eachother.

As for hours blocking estates, wasn't there an article shared earlier in this thread discussing how Unionists were disappointed that a parade only lasted 40 minutes as opposed to the usual hours? When I lived on Malone Avenue (admittedly not what I'd call a Nationalist area; it is purely to share a personal experience), the Lisburn Road was out of action for most of the day. While not personally experienced (because I didn't live there), there were certainly reports of people in Ardoyne trapped in their homes by parades and hangers on being there for hours on end, especially when one considers the insistence on marching the return route. You're hardly suggesting it's a five minutes and done job, are you?

Back when the UK government weren't exclusively pandering to the DUP, they used to refer to Derry as Derry/Londonderry, this policy was also BBC policy. It was dropped when the Conservatives came to power.

I think its a useful compromise which respect the near equal split of feeling within the community.

Haha. You get quite upset every time I think we are agreeing about something 😂. Apologies if I misunderstood you but now I have no idea what you think. Do you think that because Belfast has a nationalist majority then no unionist parades should be allowed in the town centre?

I am suggesting you should tell us where people have been “trapped in their homes” by loyalist parades.

please don’t make me post a google map of ardoyne to demonstrate that no one was trapped in their homes!

Quite the opposite my reading challenged friend; I'm totally fine with Orange marches through Belfast City centre; it's a city centre.....one should have different expectations in a city centre versus blocking in residential areas. If you'd read my post rather than going off on one about me apparently being upset you'd know that considering I stated I have no opposition whatsoever to Orange parades through the town centre of my majority Nationalist home town.

You REALLY should try reading before you faff about with your usual, 'so are you saying....' non-sequiturs.

Go ahead with your wee Ardoyne map by the way. You promise an awful lot of sources and deliver precious few. I suspect your, 'source' will of course be entirely unbiased and won't try and put a bit of spin on things.....the whole Twaddell Avenue protest was purely due to the Parades Commission being in the RA, no residents were actually even slightly inconvenienced....and they were also probably in the RA....you'll probably suggest the complaints were shipped in (and not realise your hypocrisy when you moan about the NI Protocol protests, for which the majority of the already minute crowds were actually shipped in).

edit: just to correct an autocorrect typo.

Post edited by Fionn1952 on

And on the 'it wasn't that bad' revisionism goes.

A Commission had to be established to stop the bigotry and disruption downcow.

A commission the OO still doesn't recognise or engage with as far as I know and sinisterly undermine when they got the chance.

Stock behaviour from Unionism whenever a normal society free of supremacism is attempted. Same with the GFA...rinse and repeat, 'we won't recognise it, try to undermine it at every turn then bizarrely try to hide behind it when we mess up so badly even our own are turning against us'.

I am afraid you are all over the place in trying to defend the indefensible. Now you have introduced another absurd parameter - it seems you are saying parades are ok in city centres but can be challenged in town centres. Are you for real? Tell the Bogside residents group that. You would be making a massive magnanimous gesture to the unionist community if you were saying that they could parade in Newry and Londonderry town centres without opposition (like nationalists parade in kilkeel), although I suspect you might backpeddle a little on that one.

and, no matter about your passionate post, I completely stand by my assertion that no nationalists are “trapped in their houses” due to loyalist parades

On a personal level, I've no issue with an OO parade through the town centre of Newry or Derry, Downcow. I'm not part of the Bogside Residents Group so whatever they say is none of my business. Defend the indefensible? Pot....kettle.

You can stand by your assertion all you want....your post stated you were going to share a map with us. As I predicted, you promise an awful lot of evidence and deliver precious little.

Please let’s try to be honest with each other. Here is exactly what I said

“I am suggesting you should tell us where people have been “trapped in their homes” by loyalist parades.  please don’t make me post a google map of ardoyne to demonstrate that no one was trapped in their homes! other. “

You tell me where you think people are trapped in their homes by loyalist parades and I’ll post a map to clear it up for everyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

And you wonder why Michael d. Higgins made the correct call to stay at home

Advertisement