Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, they're supplying masks at least. Still ridiculous though.

Atm, they're doing a proof of concept with the social distancing so I'm assuming that's staying, otherwise the proof of concept is pretty pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

No unless you get to the pub by public transport, yes - within reason, yes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

They understand it, they just need it explained to them - over and over again

Talking about masks, why the fu#k do some people that are out walking in large public areas in the fresh open air that are probably fully vaccinated still insist on wearing masks. Like seriously what the hell. People like these need a good slap. Seen a girl out running the other week wearing a mask,fu#king gobshite

• Registered Users Posts: 15,068 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

What difference does it make to you if someone wishes to wear a mask or not?

Personally I would look on somebody who believes anyone who does deserves a good slap as the real gobshite.

• Advertisement

And when i said slap i didnt mean it in a violent way. Just meant that these people need to cop themselves on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

"Moo"? Do you mean Mu? That variant that's not of concern?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭prunudo

I see Northern Ireland are removing the 2m social distancing requirements in retail and hospitality from Thursday. Mask wearing will still be required but vaccine passes will only be advisory.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Luxemburgo

Cos it further normalises the use of masks long term in society something I see as a bad thing.

Seeing them is situations like that is a reminder of the fear people said and also is decidedly anti science

I think the thread previously went down the "hilarious" Moo tangent previously. For those who arent aware. Its Mu, as in Mew as in Music, Mutant, Muse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Honestly the masks should be a personal choice and not mandatory at this stage.

What with 90% plus of people vaccinated they surely can't have that long to go before it's removed.

I do agree with them being needed in hospitals though but inside shops? When walking into a restaurant which we then remove the moment you've reached your seat? Meh.. stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Anyone that judges others for their decision to wear a mask in low-risk environments is a muppet.

The exact same could be said about you. Over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I fully respect the right for anybody to wear a mask anywhere they want to.

I also think people wearing masks while running in a big empty field are idiots.

Whether they are bigger idiots than those wearing a mask on their own in a car is a matter for debate.

I most certainly would never stop anybody doing it though, it is their choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

“My pharmaceutical utopia is going away soon and so I can’t handle it”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It's not being removed for hospitality on Thursday.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭prunudo

Going by the BBC report I saw earlier it is, down to 1m was the impression I got. Maybe I picked it up wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,040 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If pretty much everyone is vaccinated now shouldn't we remove the law that masks are required in retail. If you want to wear a mask to feel protected that is your right but it should also be your right to not wear a mask once your vaccinated.

I hate wearing one I've bad anxiety as is and these don't help. The ironic thing is, I can't tolerate a large shopping trip so I've to make more frequent smaller trips, this increasing my social contacts indoors.

The idea in general from the 22nd is that we shift to a personal responsibility model; If you are happy going to place X, then do so. If you're not, then don't.

Retail is obviously a special case - people don't get to choose whether or not they go to the shops. So in order to protect other people who are not in the shop by choice, we wear masks. Masks were very much always pushed as a two-way protection; you're protecting yourself from others, but also protecting others from you.

We've had the discussion upthread, and I'm not posting this to debate whether it's the right or wrong decision, merely relaying the rationale behind the decision to keep masks for retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Honestly, the people who get all agitated about others wearing masks have deep problems of their own that they should be looking at.

Just to be clear, there is something wrong with you that you need to figure out yourself if someone wearing a facemask triggers you in any way. If it's anxiety, that is your issue to deal with, not others.

What someone else wears is of no concern to most people, whether it's a political thing, some sort of phobia, or whatever, it's your own thing to deal with.

Personally, I'll be happy to drop the masks and I don't wear them outside, but I don't get all twisted or judgey about people I see wearing them, and will often forget that I'm wearing one so could be wearing it while driving for a few minutes before I realise.

From a science standpoint, they work, that is unequivocal and cannot be argued with, so you're only arguing because of your own issues, deeply rooted or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You don't understand the difference between eliminating a risk and reducing a risk? Unsure if this is a flippant remark or you truly don't understand the difference.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threadbanned for this and other uncivil or abusive posts now deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

You keep saying people have to go to shops but that is simply not true.

They can choose click and collect, home delivery or get somebody to do their shopping for them.

I know a few elderly people who find it difficult to cook so go to the local cafe for dinner each day, we could just as easily argue that we should all wear masks to protect them as going for dinner is not a choice.

What about the medically vulnerable who are working in a pub, should we not all be wearing masks to protect them?

Quite simply the notion of wearing masks in a shop is pure covid theatre.

The government didn't want to declare a "freedom day" so went with a few pointless ongoing restrictions like masks in shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Bellie1

She could have tested positive and worn mask to protect others. Or could have some autoimmune condition so be waiting for her third jab.

@Nyero wrote:

You keep saying people have to go to shops but that is simply not true.

They can choose click and collect, home delivery or get somebody to do their shopping for them.

These aren't universal truths though. Online shopping may not be available to everyone, and online shopping won't bring you an urgent bag of nappies at 9 o'clock at night. Your cafe example, is a different one. That's someone with needs outside of the ordinary. Everyone needs access to shops. It's why shops were the thing which were open throughout the pandemic and weren't pushed back to delivery-only.

The notion of wearing masks in a shop is pure covid theatre.

Not necessarily disagreeing here. Like I say, I'm not getting into the necessity of it, just the rationale. Retail is essential. People cannot choose to avoid it. Unlike virtually everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

The chances of a person who is unvaccinated and having a new baby and being highly vulnerable and wearing a mask for their own protection and catching covid (which in itself might often result in sniffles at best) on a late night dash to a shop where nearly everybody is vaccinated coming to serious harm seems very unlikely at this point.

This idea of masks for all in shops because of an ever diminishing risk is pure covid theatre from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I see his point, I live in Spain and it's like a cult here, 95% of people still fully masked up outside, now normally I wouldn't care what others do - but here the issue is these people will just make the whole mandate last longer as the govt. will see people like doing it anyway, so they'll keep the mandate going, I mean fans have to wear them at the camp Nou ffs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

How about people who get all judgey to people not wearing them ? - outside ?

because this has happened to me, just yesterday in fact, these people I feel have deeper problems than those that get agitated seeing people wearing them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement