Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-British Xenophobia and Hatred in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Of course there were offensive headlines referring to Irish people in the English tabloids in the 80s, that's beyond dispute. But anti Irish racism 30 years ago doesn't justify anti English racism now.

I was in London for a lot of the 80s, didn't really have any bother with the English tbh, believe it or not they were wise enough to know that we didn't really like having the city we were living in blown up. Sure there was some nasty stuff in the papers and there'd be a very, very odd thick fcker, but it wasn't that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Thats some fair persecution complex your hanging onto their aegir, if you care to show me any facts to back up the claim that a vast amount of Irish people hate the english im happy to read it.....

FYI i dont hate English people, i hate ignorant, arrogant, entitled bigots, traits that define most members of their conservative party and many who also vote for that party and they just happen to be english.

Also accusing me of being a nationalist is hilarious, ask some of the actual nationalists on this site, ie francie, junkyard tom et about my very non-nationalist credentials on here and you might like to rethink your painting with broad strokes, incredibly simplistic, view of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I said dislike not hate. So I dunno why you are asking me.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

I lived there in the 80s and 90s for 15 years and put up with a lot of s*it at times but overall I enjoyed my time there, the way I have always looked at it, the UK gave me a good living when there was nothing in this country in the 80s, I worked hard made a few pounds that's what it was all about.

I still think it's a very racist country and have always said we are only 20 years behind the UK in everything that happens.

I didn't accuse you of being a nationalist, just that the obsession with the English comes from deep rooted nationalism that this country thrives on. I gave examples of that. Being conditioned by nationalism, does not make someone a nationalist.

I mean, why is it that a thread about British politics gets far more posts on here than a thread about Irish politics? people here are far more interested in overcrowding at a hospital in Liverpool than they in Limerick. It just seems strange when people like to ignore the shortcomings in their own country and focus on those in England to make themselves feel somehow more superior. irish governments have gotten away with murder over the years because people just don't want to know, but obsess and get ridiculously animated about the Tories.

it really is quite bizarre.

• Advertisement

Well the first part of that was right. However the tabloid and below the line commentators are also anti Irish since Brexit. Anti everything really except the US, if the republicans are in power.

the crowing about the french being upset by AUSUK was a sight to behold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The only bizarre thing is your assessment of this forum. 'People are focussed more on what happens in Britain'? Really?

People express themselves. Nobody is obsessing. There are dislikeable things about all peoples, Irish, English, Scottish etc etc.

Over sensitivity sees threads like these pop up.

The obsession with internal English politics unrelated to Ireland is bizarre as is the obsession with US internal politics.

that’s not the case with Brexit, which does matter to Ireland.

Anyway Irish nationalism is a timid weak thing, SF are woke, our right wingers (ie FG) are pro British, modern FF is apparently anti nationalist, our newspapers are the ex pro imperial IT and the Independent - the home of eoghan harris and the anti Hume rhetoric of the 90s. And the Sunday times is the biggest selling Sunday paper. It’s not surprising then that you get Irish people who take the British Brexit position, which is absurd. I mean an Irish columnist accused Ireland of bullying the U.K. because we simply asked - what’s up with the GFA? What’s happening with the border

contrast that with your brethren up north and the sectarian supremacist marches, the burning of flags etc.

Well do show me how often this 'obsessive' has posted on the thread you claim Irish obsessives are 'focussed' on?

I mean, why is it that a thread about British politics gets far more posts on here than a thread about Irish politics? people here are far more interested in overcrowding at a hospital in Liverpool than they in Limerick. 

I think you just proved my point about over sensitivity with that comment and the complete self centred assessment of what happens on this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Shoog

Its difficult to like the English when they are so arrogant and so obviously full of ****. I say this as a naturalised Irish Citizen who was born in England.

I have come to despise just about everything the English represent. The farce that is Brexit helped to crystalize my thinking on the English nation. A subject population with no real self regard beyond what their establishment tells them about their Englishness (which is mostly outright lies).

Never let it be forgotten that the English Establishments let millions of Irish and other nationalities starve to death because of their arrogance, racism and ideological fanaticism. That nastiness and brutality never went away and is now been imposed on their own population for want of anyone left to victimize.

Individually most are quite nice - but as a nation they develop unpleasant group characteristics. These sentiments maybe considered xenophobic if they weren't been said about my own people.

Post edited by Shoog on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

it reminded me a lot of that time when Von der leyen almost triggered Art 16, and the same crowd had a complete w*nkfest about it for a good 10 days.

but back to the subject, yes we do have this anti-british thing, at various intensities, but a big chunk of it is asshat teenagers with unfunny jokes and memes which they don't really believe themselves, clowns who might tag a lamp post with up the ra but only because they're bored of drawing cocks . i have been that asshat ... sort of, but at least never with the sht ms paint memes or bus shelter scrawls.

so basically we have to break it up into serious xenophobia, and little edgelord gimps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There is no "confusion". It's just strategic whinging in the victimisation Olympics. The OP is just the English version of the "you hate America cos you criticised us" nonsense. Seriously, crying because someone called Boris Johnson a "prick".

HAHAHA fkn' 'ell.

Poor mouth OP's like this deserve all the contempt that they get.

These threads always pop up when it's a look away moment in Britain.

I find your obsessive persecution complex perplexing. Just a quick glance at the top threads on page one of this forum there are 10 threads related to Irish politics and many are on their second or third iteration so your claim that people talk more about British politics holds absolutely no water.

What also perplexes me is how you still are surprised people in Ireland take an interest in British politics as even post Brexit we are inexorably linked thanks to our land border with them, proximity, culture and history. Why wouldn't we be interested in such a large, significant neighbor that in recent years has consistently acted in bad faith and made multiple attempts both indirectly and directly by their perfidious actions to negatively affect our day to day lives? Thankfully they have mostly been unsuccessful but your suggestion that we pretty much ignore them is baffling to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

I began posting on boards three years ago and was immediately shocked by the amount of anti British sentiment evident across many threads.When I brought the subject up I was constantly informed that was`nt the case but the myriad of threads about Britain(mainly negative) is a sight to see for a British person.

Having said that,in day to day interactions I`ve had in Ireland they`re not like that(or incredibly two faced!)🤣

You can bet your life on an awful lot of them being two-faced, in fact, they are experts at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

From 1988

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭hawley

The point about Boris being called a prick on here was in response to someone complaining about comments on Leo Varadkar in the British press.

It isn’t an obsessive persecution, it is my honest opinion.

sorry if that hurts your sensitivities.

like I said, the Irish are good at giving it, very very bad at taking it.

• Advertisement

What are we not good at taking exactly? You claimed we talk way more about Britain and its politics than we do about Irish issues and its politics that's patently untrue from even a cursory glance at the top 30 threads in this forum alone.

If anything you seem to be the one who cannot take it as you cry foul at any tiny criticism of Britain and whinge that we don't complain about Ireland enough.

From my point of view its pretty obsessive by the way as its far from the first time youve done this. You did it in the covid UK thread multiple times and im certain ive seen you make the same complaint in the Politics forum as well, not to mention the many times you've undoubtedly made the same distraction argument the same thing in threads in current affairs.

Because lets be real here thats all it is an attempt at distracting and whataboutery based on your own bias that Britain can do know wrong or at least far less wrong than those who view things from a different side of history and politics will ever agree with you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

None of this is correct. Every single thing you've said here is inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I wish we had the luxury of not giving a shite about the British/English. Alas the British state remains an existential danger to our country and will continue to be. Brexit has demonstrated some of the vile attitudes towards Ireland in the English/British ruling classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

If anythign the British are more reliant on us now than we are on them, we should be pushing people to learn French/German etc and push into mainland Europe instead of sitting hoping England finally get sorted.

Just look at the likes of Musgrave going out into Europe and supplying "UK" shops in mainland Europe with british type food. Just an example but a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Odd thing I have noticed over the years is that there is a lot of anti britishness online like on journal.ie comments section for example, but rarely see it out in the open.

Keyboard warriors eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

It is important to be able to not take ourselves too seriously.

https://twitter.com/davidmcw/status/1169145649725681664?s=21

I gave my opinion, you respond with ad hominem and whataboutery.

therefore proving my point.

It is my experience that Irish people have an aversion to offending people, but if you scratch the surface and reassure them that their honest opinion will not offend you - they generally have very mixed feelings about their neighbour country.

It looked for a long time that old animosities were fading, but the total ignorance of issues brought about by Brexit and its impact on Ireland make it hard for people to be so generous in their opinions of the English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Not that it qualifies as hatred, but I remember one time a good few years ago, I was in a pub getting ready to watch Ireland against England in rugby. There were 3 English lads sitting/standing round the barrel-for-a-table next to mine. The Irish anthem came on first, and then when the English anthem came on, the bar staff turned it down. The English lads were looking around with a sense of confusion and slight unease.

One of the saddest, pettiest things I'd seen in a long time.

I have been in a few local Irish pub cheering England on, not a bad word said against me. I suppose people have different experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

I know I'm not going to win any popularity contests around here by being seen in any way to be defending Priti Patel, but to say she suggested starving the Irish is hyperbolic, imo. She said that because the UK then stood as a major link in the supply chain when it came to getting stuff into Ireland from Europe, a no deal would create significant problems for a member state, i.e. Ireland, and this was a point that should be pressed home in negotiations with the EU.

Here is the quote of Patel's that keeps coming up

"This paper appears to show the government were well aware that Ireland will face significant issues in a no-deal scenario.

"Why hasn't this been pressed home during the negotiations? There is still time to go back to Brussels and get a better deal."

To be fair, I don't recall anyone around here having much problem with the flipside idea of no-deal creating significant shortages in the UK, and it was a much-vaunted scenario, and really the disaster that no-deal would have been was what prompted Boris Johnson to go to Dublin at the last minute seeking a hasty compromise, so the threat of it worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Good job you presumably didn't watch any of the England games in the euros this year.... The amount of national anthems the English fans heckled and booed would have probably curled your toenails.

I have never had abuse for cheering for England, but oddly an Irish friend was asked was he secretly an English **** because he was cheering for England in a match against Wales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

I think its more dislike of a certain section of opinion in the UK that has nostalgia about the British empire, and that thinks it can stick it to the EU and dictate terms. That has clearly blown up in their faces, and yes I do gloat about it because its a just riposte to the "we have all the cards" and in some cases anti-Irish language (like a Tory saying Ireland should "know its place") regarding the row over the NI Protocol.

When England are playing the whole world want to see them getting beat, no difference to when Dublin is playing, every county in Ireland wants to see them getting beat.

This.

The vast majority of comment here on Britain is to do with what it has done and is doing and how it impacts here.

I was called an 'obsessive' for doing that and the poster disappeared when asked to back up that. An invented sense of persecution to avoid dealing with the issues is the problem IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I watched all of them and yes, some English fans are true dickheads.

That isn't in any way relevant to anything I said though. I can't see how you think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭indioblack

Many years ago I went to a Cork theatre, [The Opera House?], with my Irish relatives. We all stood at the end for the National Anthem. My cousin turned to me and asked, "Why are you standing?" You stand out of respect for another country's national anthem. She was 12 years old!

On a lighter note, there was a visit to Ireland by a British orchestra. At the end of their performance they were asked to play the National Anthem......and, yes, they played the wrong one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

No-warning bombs in Dublin, massacres by British Army killers, and collusion with sectarian mass-murderers in the north, would most certainly qualify as an existential threat. Goodness knows what 'assets' the British state has in the unionist narco-terrorist gangs right now.

As stated, I wish we had the luxury of not giving a shit what's happening across the water but that's a pipe-dream, the best we can do is get a United Ireland to remove British state forces and then take internal security seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

It is a bit like how a mouse instinctively knows to stay away from a cat. You cant treat people the way they did for hundreds of years and expect everything to be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

Ireland's bank debt (unilaterally taken on by Ireland without consultation with EU and a "f you" to other EU countries) was €41.75 Bn - of the total €250 Bn Irish debt - most of which was run up in deficit spending since 2008. The EU telling Ireland "you f'd us by taking on this debt, your idea to renege further on the €42Bn [to let's not forget an entirely different set of people to those who originally lent the money to Irish banks, were guaranteed, sold up and got out of dodge] is financially silly and destabilizing - don't do it" seems pretty fair if you ask me - especially considering what the EU did to facilitate low manageable loans to Ireland

What? Really? Well if your going to play that card then this entire thread is an ad hominem attack against Irish people......

You are literally the one who uses the argument of "yeah well what about this bad thing in Ireland, you dont talk about that enough" when theres any discussion that might lean even slightly negatively towards the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Ireland is far worse for being slavishly devoted to establishment and group think

The English pride themselves on individual thinking where as we frown upon those who don't tow the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I cant see how you're confused.

You said one of the saddest and pettiest things you've ever seen was bar staff turning down the volume on the television,.during the English national anthem being played at a rugby match.

I gave a comparable example of English fans booing and jeering during another countries national anthem.

The two things are fairly relevant in my eyes, you'll get people acting like dickheads during rival teams national anthems everywhere.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I would say more that the Irish psyche is focused on and at times obsessed with authority, cocking a snoop at it while tacitly tugging the forelock. I suppose because for so long we were a small and parochial population looking outside for direction. If we look back through history the "Irish rebel" was as likely if not more so to be found outside Ireland, away from the "parish". When we got rid of "The Brits", something that wasn't close to a foregone conclusion, we were quick to replace them with the Church and transferred the forelock tugging to that lot, while blaming the same "Brits" for our woes, just as when the Church got the heave ho we in turn attached our woes to them.

The British only value individual thinking when it comes from the middle classes and up. The higher up the better. The hoi polloi are and always were cannon fodder who did what they were told by their betters. Romanticised as stout yeomen at best(which served its own purpose) or an ever present danger at worst. London and the elite of England treated the Irish, Scots and the Welsh peasantry with disdain in general with some real nastiness in the mix. Then again they didn't exactly treat the English peasantry so well either and still don't. If anything the English are more slavishly devoted to establishment, or certainly were.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Wasn't really thinking of yesteryear, groupthink dominates all levels in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cultural memory is a thing. When a particular nationality/race/ethnicity/etc has been the subject of a sudden massive trauma, or longstanding abuse, these become ingrained into the cultural norms of that group, and get passed down between generations. Not intentionally, it's just a cultural thing.

Distrust of the British - and the English in particular - is one of these cultural memories, and it's only in relatively recent times there has been any reason that people might question it. Certainly our parents and grandparents lived in a time when Irish people were poorly treated by the British.

Even in more contemporary times, the treatment of catholics in Northern Ireland (which was both encouraged and financially supported by England) was in effect an attack on "cultural" Irish North and South. So this stuff is not ancient history, it's in living memory. People in the Republic were horrified by what was going on in the North, but there was considerable sympathy, if not understanding for why the IRA were doing what they were doing.

There is a bit of work to be done on the Irish side in understanding that we don't get to exclude Unionists from the definition of "Irish". Protestants and others on the unionist side may be something of a distinct sub-culture, but they're still Irish even if they do put their toaster in the press.

But for the most part, this distrust is aimed at British institutions moreso than British people. Cultural memory tells us that Westminster looks out for English interests only, in the main, that British institutions will put Britain and the crown before everything else. It also tells us that British politicians absolutely cannot be trusted in the promises they make to non-British entities, and if you're not English, you'll get stabbed in the back if necessary to further English interests.

One could say that these cultural biases should be challenged often. But the last decade has proven to us in many many ways, that this negative portrayal of British institutions is as valid and accurate now as it was 150 years ago.

lived here for 10 years as an English person, my experiences would be..

About a week after moving here a lad at my job took me to coppers, night was fine until I went to a takeaway at the end of the night, a group of young lads heard me and took great offence to my accent and seemed to hold me directly responsible for the 800 years. They were waiting outside for me and I reckon they were going to give me a proper hiding, fortunately the bouncer, some massive Eastern European lad took pity on me and went out and decked one of them, the others soon took of.

Apart from that very little, I’m always taken back by how passionately Irish people support anyone but England, even more than they support Ireland sometimes.

Is there an undercurrent of hatred here? I think there defiantly is, but it’s small and you could go one year to the next without someone commenting on your accent. That said, if Sinn Fein get in power, I expect it to become more prevalent, it will be seen as acceptable for those who hold the anti brit views.

• Advertisement
Advertisement