Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

ixoy wrote: »

Next up: some new Malazan-based work from Erikson with 'The God is Not Willing'. Only been waiting for this for over a decade.
    Can't believe I never heard of that! I'll wait for the full trilogy first though...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The book was interesting but like one big long interlude. I only way to describe it. Xyr was doing my head in

Reading the new Tchaikovsky and enjoying it Shards of Earth
    Maybe one day I'll give Dogs of War another go, I didnt get into it at all

I get the impression that's what Chambers wants to convey: a "slice of life" kind of narrative, only with distinctly alien species going about their respective (solar) days. Perhaps she wanted to see if she could write space stories without some overarching "Inciting Incident X upends the galactic order" trigger; plenty of earthbound novels just amble along ordinary people's lives - why not in spaaaaaaace? Especially given aliens are often "othered" as creatures unknowable or unreachable to our sensibilities :D

The xyr choice just confirmed to me how badly it works as a contrived new pronoun. It's clumsy to write, and twice as much to say and wonder what the thinking was behind it; especially given the English language already has a genderless pronoun, used when the gender isn't clear - they|their. But that's another segue I guess.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just finished 'The God is Not Willing' by Steven Eirkson, the first in his Witness trilgoy and it's very enjoyable. Even if part of a trilogy, it stands alone quite well and feels quite streamlined running about half the length of a standard Malazan novel. Dealing with the fallout of some events a decade on from "The Crippled God", it's got classic Malazan marine banter, memorable characters (love Stillwater), plenty of bits that go over my head as ever, more lore, philosophical marines, monsters. Nothing like Kharkanas in tone and definitely worth a read.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Getting back into Iain M Banks' Excession after putting it down: there is something almost unreadable about Banks' sci-fi novels, to me anyway. As always the actual prose and language is evocative and rich but the narrative ... I dunno. Too dense? Impenetrable? It's not necessarily cold, but It's like Banks wanted to smother the text with layers of the unfamiliar, mixed with often confusing segues of unnamed or trivial characters. I do like it: but It's that form of novel you really need to be in the mood for. He never wrote anything as a casual read.

It makes for a fascinating contrast with someone like Becky Chambers: her novels are arguably as full with the uncanny and distinctively alien - but she still finds the ordinary, relatable voice within. Banks either couldn't or didn't care if the reader felt detached from his collection of robots and humans. His worlds are no less engrossing but he asks the reader to really engage.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• "Record of a Spaceborn Few" by Becky Chambers, the third in her Wayfarers series. This one was disappointing. For a start, it lost out by only really having human characters, unlike the richer depth we got with the different alien races in her first book. There's a number of characters, but I didn't click with a lot of them and their plots are almost non existent, even for a book in the "Slice of Life" genre she writes in. The background of this particular human cultures isn't hugely original (think ark ship) which is a shame when I know she's well able to do better. Some of the dialogue is very well done and it's easy to read but it was never engrossing. Hope the final book picks up.
    • "The Shadow of What Was Lost" by James Islington, the first book in his "Licanius" trilogy. This is good solid doorstep-sized fantasy. It's got a bunch of tropes - quests, dark lords, etc but there is some interesting twists in there. The writing is solid, the characters fairly engaging (if not deeply drawn) and there's more than enough to have kept me interested. Very much in the classic mould, which is sometimes all I want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Abercrobies "Shattered Sea Trilogy" - Time to get these books out of my to read list, a nice easy read so far.

• "Saint's Blood" by Sebastien de Castell, the third book in his Greatcoats series, a series clearly inspired by the Three Musketeers. Another good installment with a lot of witty banter (reminding me a bit of Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastards series, although not quite hitting its peaks), peril, some very dark moments and valour (the series does feature proper heroism). It won't convert anyone who didn't like the first book but it firmly delivers if you did.

Just finished Half a King, its really nothing like Abercrombies other stuff. It really is Young Adult reading, its very light and fluffy.

* "Exit Strategy" by Martha Wells, the fourth book in her Murderbot series. Thought this was an improvement on the slightly disappointing previous instalment. The plot was more focused and Murderbot itself got to further their storyline both from a plot and character perspective. It nicely lined itself up for the fifth (longer) book.

• "Ghostwater" by Will Wight, the fifth book in his Cradle series. This is very much a "dungeon romp" and initially it didn't grab me. It's a bit of an excuse to have Lindon go through a series of different areas to allow him to level up. What worked for me then was the second half with the introduction of a new character (Dross) and some good action sequences. Still one of the weaker books in the series, feeling a little like a lead in to bigger events, but diverting fun all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

Not sure who mentioned it but thanks for the suggestion of Death Gate Cycle... I've read almost all of Weis and Hickmans other stuff years back hut wasn't even aware of this. Just finished all the books. Great mix of fantasy and scifi concepts.

Not quite sure where to go next. Like others will wait for a few new Malazan books before getting stuck in... Suggestions? Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Ever read the book of swords series by Saberhagen? More vintage than Death Gate and better, I thought the Death Gate ran out of steam in the last novel.

Personally working through the "Traitor Son Cycle" by Cameron. On the third book. Interesting organization where he keeps multiple story lines going without them straying too far apart. A fair amount of typos and missed edits. Reminds me somewhat of the Jim Butcher stuff in that the author's hobby (medieval combat) flows into the work (Butcher was a keen martial artist and his books ended up as endless fight scenes.)

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

I'm reading the second book in this series and couldn't agree more. The typos are very sloppy in places. Still enjoying it though!

The errors reduce in the Masters and Mages series but there was still enough to be annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

I've started on Cold Iron by Cameron but haven't heard of Saberhagen... Added to the list, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'm finding Project Hail Mary hard work. Like The Martian the structure is very much science problem- equations- science solution. The dialogue can be very simplistic and as for the characterisation, it's the exact same character as in The Martian, who I suspect is the exact same character as Andy Weir. The memory loss device is a big problem too, and extremely convenient at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Just started The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin.

Serious goodness from the past. Her father was a famous anthropologist who worked with the last wild human in California

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'm currently slowly getting through Thief's Magic. It's fine, nothing gripping but not bad as such either. I'm not a big fan of Canavan so I'm not sure why I picked it up.

On the other hand, I was told I should read Rothfuss anyway, even if it's not likely to be finished. Both of those books arrived this morning so that might motivate me to finish the other book!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Niska

Half way through Cibola Burn . Read 1-3 before the show came out, so different perspective catching up.

Enjoying it, took a few chapters to get to grips with the new POV characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Really looking forward to this one (saw on twitter and couldn't resist)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I had a holiday so plenty of reading by the pool/on the beach.

Read the 4 books in teh genghis khan series by conn igulden.

they were good. enjoyable.

Then the 4 books in the "war of the roses" series from him too. Currently finishing up the fourth.

Also enjoyed these.

Next will either be "the god is not willing" or possibly I may re-read some Dune books, since the trailer for the upcoming movie has reminded me of it. I have read it before but about 30 years ago as a teenager, so I expect it will be different this time around.

• Advertisement

Highly recommend "Bored of the Rings." Great parody. Though, I remember the 'Muddy Waters' from Howya Dune, pretty funny stuff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

• 'The October Man' by Ben Aarvonitch, a novella set in the PC Grant universe but basically with his German counterpart. I couldn't quite warm to him to the same way - the voice didn't have the humour or nerdy qualities of Grant. The plot was a little bit more confusing than it needed to be, with most of it only coming together by the end. Not bad but not what I had hoped for.
    • "An Echo of Things to Come" by James Islington, the second heavy tome in his Licanius trilogy. It's a bit of a middle tome feel here as a lot of it feels a set up for a third series. It's quite exposition heavy and there's definitely too many flash backs for one of the main characters. It still works quite well though and the universe is definitely more fleshed. I thought the writing was a bit sharper this time too, perhaps benefitting from the fact that the second book was released by a traditional publisher. More than enough though to keep me entertained for the final (even longer) book.
    • "Komarr" by Lois McMaster-Bujold, another installment in her Vorkosigan saga. As ever, she's an excellent writer but perhaps the plot here wasn't quite as strong as previous instalments, with Miles not being quite as active as he was previously - perhaps it's Bujold adjusting to Miles's new role or the fact the story alternates between Miles' and a new love interest's perspective. Never boring but hopefully the next book's plot has a little more meat to it.

About 30% into The Last Watch (The Divide #1, cos books now are trilogies by default): enjoying the premise, and its characters so far successfully ride the line between Wheadon+ era patter, and organic or conversational tones. The smart-ass character is only intentionally annoying, rather than the please shove him out the airlock feeling the Poochies can leave the reader/viewer with. And while the inciting incident has already happened, the story still feels like it hasn't quite taken off; so knowing that it's the first book, I worry I'm going to finish the book on a cliffhanger and very little resolved.

• "The Fall of Dragons" by Miles Cameron, the fifth and final book in his Traitor Son Cycle. It's a series I generally liked but I did find the last one a bit of a slog. It's effectively one large battle scene and it all blurs into one another. Cameron definitely has a gift for fighting and tactics but there's a limit to what I'm interested in. I enjoyed the magical elements of it but endless tactics.. Not so much. There's also a cast that, by the end, was a little too large and I'd have preferred focus on some of the other characters. It's not a terrible ending, and the action is certainly there, but overall I felt the series could have been half the length without losing anything.
    • "To Be Taught, If Fortunate" by Becky Chambers. A standalone novella, it deals wonderfully with the first exploration of a new solar system. Chambers' really gets into the wonder of discovery without neglecting the science part and it worked very well. I'd happily have read a longer version if it had existed.

Just finishing up " A Plague of Words", the fourth and penultimate book in the Traitor Son Cycle. It feels like he worte book 4 & 5 as a single book, then split in to two.

Can't see how to add spolier tags on the new interface, so will keep this vague. I was hoping the fifth book would explore more of the fantastical & otherworldy elements touched on in the fourth book. The protaganist has developed as a character and matured, but we don't see too much of that at this point due to the wider cast.

I think I'll be similar to yourself, will read the fifth book to find out how it ends but I've become a bit disconnected from the series at this point.

Make sure to post back when you've finished it. Interested to see what your final opinion was.

Just finished "Half a World", Book 2 in Shattered Sea Trilogy. Better than Book 1 but still light and fluffy compared to Abercrombies darker material. Will get through Book 3 to complete the series but not in a big hurry to.

• Advertisement

Reading The Dark Tower, book 7 - The last in the series. Anyone else think this is pure tripe??????? Only about 20% in and just getting through it to finish out the series. Book 6 was not great either if I remember.

Advertisement