Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Looks like someone knew about the loose blocks (say) 25feet further up the lane in the dark.... as pointed out 3000 posts ago.

Or that block was already there beside the gate,to keep the it open

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Looking at the picture of the pump house,

That block had been taken from that wall some time before that photo was taken.

It's unlikely the killer would go back to the shed, lift the roof and remove a block from the wall.

Instead looked around for something to finish the job and there it was,

as MonkieSocks said sitting there keeping the gate open.

If it's Sophie's shed which I think it is, on the other side of the lane by the gate into her lawn

someone was leaving her a message.

Wrecking her shed roof to get a block from the wall to keep the gate open, the gate she insisted on being kept closed.

Not as if there were no rocks around to do the job.

But looking at the gate I'd say the default position would be open and no block needed to keep it open

unless of course you wanted to make it as difficult as possible for a petite French woman .

I would say all was not well in that little piece of Heaven , and maybe it all started when Sophie arrived in Dreenane.

One other thing, someone being assaulted up against an iron gate that's hinged to a steel post via an iron eye

would make some racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"And remember that the she supposedly came across the front paddock which would have brought her onto the lane at a lower point if I'm correct."

No the gate from the front paddock/lawn is 20-30ft up from the attack gate (yellow arrow)

It's just beside the pump house, (red arrow) you can just make out the black roof in this still;

The block may have come from the pump house originally but unlikely in my opinion to have been taken from the wall during the assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭tinytobe

The murderer must have made sure at some point that the block was loose and could be picked up as a murder weapon with ease.

I don't know if it's known if the murderer brought the rock with him or picked it up somewhere near the house?

I think it is understood that Sophie has first been hit with the rock, and later on with that block?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

All this information was available to the Guards, who while not accustomed to dealing with murder would have been used to dealing with situations where tempers flared over boundary/right of way issues. It would be good to find the real reason why Ian Bailey's name came up originally. But that information was on some pages that were cut out of a book in the Garda station. (The only reason I can think of is if Alfie or some other person who had reason to be there was asked to name everybody who had ever called over.) GSOC supposedly considered sending a file to the DPP because of it, but because one Garda who had access to it had died and others didn't cooperate, the matter was dropped. If every Guard involved had been subpoenaed, I think we know that their recollections wouldn't have been the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

I dont know... to me the clean surfaces on the lower blocks of the pump house make them look recently exposed... no moss, dirt etc

Why would anyone (innocent) remove a block from a pump house with a roof/cover in frosty winter time and not replace it.... Every country person knows how important the pump is.

When approaching that pump house they knew it was loose and needed little effort to lift as it was already at waist height.... (Local remote knowledge)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not crystal clear to me how the cavity block was used... I'm assuming it wasn't just on the ground and blood fell on it if the block rested on the dressing gown.

The block rested on the dead woman's blue dressing gown, and appeared to have been taken from a hut built around an electric water pump, 20-30ft further up the hill. Dr Harbison mentions two blows on the dead woman's shoulder blades. "These could have been the imprints of that block, administering a glancing blow," he wrote. The body did not appear to have been dragged over the ground.

The coup de grâce was apparently administered once Toscan du Plantier was already prostrate. "I was able to look at the ground when the body had been moved to note that there was a slight depression with blood on it where the head had lain," Dr Harbison wrote. "This indicated to me that the body had been in that position when the blows were struck."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/a-brutal-death-in-black-and-white-1.922863

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Every now and then, there is mention of issues of property rights and right of way issues.

Just wondering, what was that pump house used for? Running water for the houses there? Did they possibly argue over water and the argument had gotten out of hand? Is it supposed to tell us something that the cavity block was used in the murder?

If there were water pressure issues then Alfie and Shirley would have had the problem first, as his house was higher up.

But again, that's a very far fetched speculation for a possible motive.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 facebeard

She must have heard something outside or there was a knock on the door that faces Alfie's house, if it was around 8-9 am this might explain why she was half dressed and had the breakfast contents in her stomach. The housekeeper noted there was an small axe missing from the basket at that side of the house, so she felt threatened enough to grab this axe, people mention she was a strong character and not afraid of confrontation and her path must have been blocked so she ran around to the front. I think someone mentioned there was Doc Martin footprints found around the scene. If she had heard or seen an intruder outside she could have rang the Guards before venturing out but maybe that can be explained by her strong character.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭sekiro

I think that Bailey is still the number one suspect but the fact that the Ungerers seem to have not been investigated is a bit strange.

When when the story came out years later that she was meeting someone about an art project would Mr Ungerer not fit that description?

If Sophie was going over to meet someone then I think they are the only people she is known to have visited while their. Plus she was there with Mr U for an unknown time before Mrs U showed up at the house?

• Advertisement

I don't think there really was a clean up job.

There was blood on the front door, blood on the gate, blood in the briars. A prolonged attack like this would have left some evidence around.

The problem is that the Gardai didn't do a good job with the crime scene and so we don't have any conclusive evidence at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭dmc17

I'd agree. Is it just the top row of blocks on the wall that are loose? The lower rows look cemented. Also looks like the half block was removed along with the full one. That may be it left to the side?

How would you end up looking at what would look like a solid block wall and think I'll just go up there and pull a block out of it?

There were plenty other rocks/blocks behind the gate which would have been easier to access if they were looking for a weapon.

"It must be a local because it was such a hard place to find."

Yeah, this was always such a strange bit of information that people threw around quite quickly. I think even in the podcast they kind of made a big deal of this. As if it was some kind of certain thing that the person who did this must have been really, really, familiar with the local area because nobody else would be able to find the place. Just silly. For the detective, Dwyer, to be pushing that as pure fact should be a bit of a red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

fasanating thread. my summary so far

there is 1 area i think is 100pc , true. the guards were up to there neck in it as in corrupt.

i had a conversion with an old ff fanatic years ago, all scandals at time. he said "shure a bitta corruption no bother cover up is for the greater good.

it struck me at time that just insert catolic church, banks, etc u have same outcome.

so this culture and mind set was in cork also.

percentages:

Bailey 10pc i think he is innocent but i would not swear on bible to it.

gardai or detective 40pc

the guards maybe clowns but deliberate tampering on a large scale is apparant WHy?

protect the institution like i said above not sure if this was a rage crime. she did seem to be totally dismisive of say a lover

drugs

15pc this is where it gets murky. it is very possible guards and say detective above intermingled in this. its sorta a big leap but not really in this mad case

other lovers: 35pc

to me this seems most logical. i could see a lover writing poetry song etc she says its utter rubbish he flips totally.

insert german lad here guy in boat or most likely young french lad

husband 10pc

i just dont see it it may be possible. these high up french like in ireland will always get a dig out somewhere....

others 5pc

alphie lr random encounter i doubt but again like a spiders web what looks unlikely...

it would be great to get an expert to review it profile killer etc.

great example was detective who caught milly dwyer killer also reviewed rapes of 100s of old people in london caught killer in 3 weeks.... after he not caught for 20 years

Shirley Foster says on discovering the body she went in the side gate and up Sophie's paddock directly in front of the house to alert Alfie. She could have had blood on her shoes having got close to the body hence blood in the paddock.

Alfie also could have had blood on his hand had he went for a closer look and also returned via the paddock before knocking on Sophie's door as he said he did and might have tried the handle. All reasonable alibis.

There is a possibility that she had arranged to meet somebody who came to the gate. The idea that she was chased to the gate already injured doesn't take into account how little blood there was around the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

i had a conversion with an old ff fanatic years ago, all scandals at time. he said "shure a bitta corruption no bother cover up is for the greater good.

Here's that guy's American cousin

I've never agreed with this statement at all other than it makes a good story. I am not local and found the house with ease. Somebody with a real bad sense of direction would have had a problem, yes.

If it was a hired killer than finding the place would certainly not have been a problem for him. The only advantage a local would have had, is if he hiked to the house and knew how to hike there, while avoiding the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Massive Berevement

Was it ever established why the stack of blocks were there down by the gate. What was being built? Where was it being built? And by who? It may be known but I missed it being mentioned at least. It seems land and boundaries and ownership of sheds were contentious issues so what if Sophie arrives in Ireland and finds a stack of blocks that weren't there previously and confronts the neighbours about it. Would allow some plausable reasoning as to why a block was used to kill her if that was the source of the disagreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Polly701

I do think it seems there was an altercation at the gate.. That she walked down there - she'd seen something (from her window) that made her quickly put on her boots and run out the door.

I don't think the killer arrived at the door and then dragged her out.. I know there was a blood mark found by the door but this may have been the killer coming back to quickly check if anyone else was in house? And I think if she was running away from someone surely she'd run to Alfie and Shirley?

What did she see at the gate? Maybe a guard in high viz jacket? Maybe Leo or Alfie doing something with those bricks or the gates that she had previously said she unhappy with? I don't suppose we'll ever know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

Are you asking about the pump house with the missing blocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

So you think she didn`t lock herself out and then the killer came and locked up afterwards? Very thoughtful of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 facebeard

Would it be faster to get away running down hill, Alfie's house looks to be up a hill so would easier to be caught if trying to escape from the house, but if the alteration happened at the gate, it means there must have had some daylight to be able to see what was happening down there and head down that way to meet someone or approach someone ( she may have had the small axe with her ) and things escalated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Ok ..So I'm a hitman..... Irish or French, doesn't really matter.

I either hang around and stake out the area/target. requiring food ,accommodation , getting noticed etc.

Or I drive in that night/morning with good directions and description.... Knock on the door with two empty hands and then, what... improvise?...

If you were going to be messy (as he was) wouldn't you just push her into the house close the door, use the leg of a chair, strangle etc.

No lets have a potentially public execution instead...

What next - victim dead.

I'd probably do one of the following... Calmly...

Hide the body, or remove the body in a car.... Burn the house down.... or stage a suicide, I don't know anything bar leave her on the road reducing my escape time.

But no....

What happened - Rage confrontation, chase, explosion of violence, Panic..... 'WTF Just happened'.... Run..... Amateur (nothing professional about any of this)

Like most people not only in rural Ireland know, you keep a spare key hidden somewhere in case you get locked out.

She'd had a problem with her boiler. It appears like it was electric in that house, the kind that might burn out with an intermittent water supply. Was there a group water scheme for those three houses? Where was the power for the water pump coming from? I'm pretty sure Sophie wasn't fully aware of the kind of headaches with the basics you can get in a rural area. Although someone coming into your house to use your bath is a bit much.

I can see why she might go running out in a hurry if she thought someone was up to something with her water supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

other lovers: 35pc

to me this seems most logical.

Always seemed that way to me too, even when I was only vaguely aware of the case. But unless and until we can put a credible name to that 'type' it's just armchair hypothesising. And if it was someone completely unknown to everybody else in Sophie's life who evidently got clean away then I suppose it's just got to be filed away as 'the perfect crime'...

I know this seems unlikely but might Daniel have sent a private investigator after Sophie? Catching her in the act of having an affair could soften the financial blow of an impending divorce.

This would tie in with eyewitnesses describing Sophie’s behaviour that week as unusual—lurking in the house and so on.

Also why she would come out of the house in her boots—to confront him and maybe try to smash his camera?

And why her husband then didn’t come to Ireland, because he was behind it.

It would also tie in with the man in Galway. And the car speeding away. Maybe even the strange man possibly seen lurking around Schull.

Maybe even the man seen with Sophie at the petrol station in Skibbereen, if he managed to ingratiate himself with her as soon as she got off the plane, pretending he too was going in that direction...

but I’ll stop trying to make all the possible pieces fit, but it could be an alternative to the theory of the hitman.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Was it a latch key door that locked automatically when closed, or did it have to be locked by turning the key?

Someone mentioned something earlier in the thread re: back door to the cottage.

Front door may have been locked from inside by Sophie and she exited by the back door for reason X

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

The door with the keys in it - that is the front door as far as I am aware?

That door does not appear locked to me in that photo - am I wrong there - was this door definitely locked behind her?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement