Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I guess for comparison, I just went to the shops, roughly 4km roundtrip and had consumption of 19.9kWh/100km versus my average of 17.4kWh/100km

Probably down to having the temperature set higher (21C versus 19C) and it being a bit colder

I didn't see the huge initial power draw that would indicate the battery heater working hard, ~2-3kW while the car was sitting idle

I could see the battery heater switching on in the the early mornings after a cold night. The car seems to try to keep the battery between 20-30C as much as possible

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Yes I would say any decrease in efficiency atm is purely down to cabin heating, IIRC the first time last year I noticed battery heating was in November.

Then again, I don't normally "do" early mornings, the advantages of being an evening worker🙂. Even this time of the year and hopefully for the next month or so efficiency for me will be similar to the warmer months except for a bit of cabin heating when required.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Battery charged to 90%. Return journey of 260 km mostly motorway at speed limit. (M7,M50). Getting home with approx 30%.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JC 3.14159

Firstly, thanks for everyone who has contributed to this thread, it's been really useful.

My family and I relocated to Ireland a few months ago and needed to sort out a car fairly quick so just rang a few dealers to see what they had in stock. Went for a silver ID3 Family 58kWh (the lower powered 145PS version). The only addition was the bike rack towball which I got installed by the dealer. Pricey at 1250EUR but it's a very neat job and I'll get plenty of use out of it.

Really happy with the car so far, it's a nice spec and plenty fast compared to anything I've driven before (and maybe can be soft-upgraded in future - I understand there's no physical difference between the two power levels?).

Proper lane keeping would be nice to have, I didn't cop the difference between travel assist and lane keeping assist when I bought it. Even without it the ACC is great though for motorways. Again, maybe something that will be a paid-for upgrade in future - I'd imagine all the hardware is in place.

Got lucky that we're living close to a (for now) free 50kW charger so between that and charging occasionally at Lidl, car parks etc we haven't charged at home much. Living in a temporary rental house for now so it's granny cable out the window when we have needed it. Once we've bought a house we'll be getting an overnight charger installed.

It's been interesting how you automatically start thinking in EV mode (or at least, a geek like me does). Previously in diesel mode I'd have taken longer motorway routes without thinking too much about it - e.g. the M18 from Limerick to Galway - turning off at Kilternan means 19km to Doughiska roundabout in Galway versus 27km if you continue to M6 roundabout, but no real difference in journey time.

The only ID3 efficiency data I've found is the link below - 19km at 90km/h would use 2.45kWh, or 4.2% of a 58kWh battery, whereas 27km at 130km/h would use 5.45kWh, or 9.5% of 58kWh (the data is .129kwh/km at 90km/h vs .202kWh/km at 130km/h). Average speeds would be a bit lower on the roads mentioned here but similar maths will apply. A few choices like that on a weekend trip is the difference between needing to stop for an extra charge to get home, or not.

insideevs.com/news/444065/volkswagen-id3-highway-range-test-results sorry can't post proper links...

On a related note - is there any route planner which can do this sort of maths for EVs? Or even a chart/curve with a few more datapoints?

One of the best route plnners out there is A Better Route Planny (ABRP)

It has presets for the ID.3 and will plan your charging stops

The onboard satnav will also do this, but it tends to be quite conservative, it doesn't like you going below 20% SoC and seems to want to charge to a higher SoC than needed.

ABRP lets you set a low arrival SoC and knows the charging curve so will ty to optimise your stops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭marc1

Do any of these cars with the higher small journey consumption levels have the heat pump fitted?

I'm not sure many here have the heat pump nor could justify the price, I don't think it's needed with the range of the 58 Kwh especially with the 78 Kwh, It was different in the days of the 24 Kwh leaf when any extra efficiency was welcome due to the low range.

I think the battery heating being poorly managed ( currently ) will greatly wipe out any benefit of the heat pump. There is no driver control as to whether they want to waste energy heating the battery for short trips or not nor is there an option to pre heat for fast charging, at least not yet, all this can be implemented via software updates but I can imagine VW engineers would think that this is too complicated for average drivers to understand but full auto control over battery heating could still be an option for those clueless drivers and I know People who will never get how auto climate control works and keep a rag on the dash to wipe the windscreen because it keeps fogging up lol so I can never imagine People like that understanding battery heating which is why I think manual and auto control would be really good feature to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RevID3

Anyone used a charge point at ALDI..is it free or do you have to have a Newmotion account which are the charge point operators.

Info very scarce on this or I wouldn't have asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Anyone else notice the price increases for VW ?

Tour 5 is now €1051 more expensive

All models except the entry level have gone up in price-

June pricing €41,110

October €42,161

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Don't know about Aldi, but any Lidl ones I have used use Easygo. You need to be registered with them, was free to get the Fob last year when got ours, presume still is. Will work fine with free charge points like Lidl, but you need credit for the charged ones like Decathlon, Ikea etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Used it last week, just plug in and charge. No app or fob required.

6.96kwp South facing

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Tour 5 spec looks the same-

My sales guy warned me of a VW price increase across the board in October which is why I paid the deposit when I did- in fairness he was correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

@JC 3.14159

Just after reading your post, you have the exact same version I have ordered and seem to be driving a route I plan to be too. Honestly was a little worried after you mentioned about taking the early exit off the M18 to conserve battery. Starting to get a bit worried by the 58KWhr choice now, how are you finding it range wise, Galway - Limerick (return) is my 'normal 'long' ' trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The fobs are now 6 euro, the app works as well, no need for fob but I prefer the fob,

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thats c 200 kms, so what speed have you in mind?

If you think driving an EV is business as usual like driving an ICE then it may not be the car for you

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

I know an EV != ICE, and I will have home charging and I am expecting to just get up and go without some planning and work has charge points. Speeds would be M18 (100-120) and 80-100 outside of the motorway.

200km should be fine. And even if you need to charge it'll be 10 mins probably. You'd struggle to go to the bathroom and get yourself a drink in that amount of time

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JC 3.14159

Ah I really just meant that it's surprising how the instant feedback affects you compared to ICE cars.

E.g. using figures from A Better Route Planner (which is good, thanks amazing raisin!) I have a couple of options to get from Killaloe to Galway - cross country via Tulla etc which is 88km and uses 32% of battery, whereas going M7/tunnel/M18 is 128km, uses 51% of battery. The journey time is about the same.

Ok, Killaloe to Galway's a bit of an extreme example but even small changes like the Kilbeggan detour save a few %, and don't add to the journey time. It helps that the ID3 is really nice to drive on smaller roads too!

Obviously the same efficiency/air resistance maths applies to travelling in an ICE car but in the past I wouldn't have thought much about it - I paid more attention to journey times than thinking about distance or average speed. It's a lot more tangible when you're looking at a battery % ticking down compared to an imperceptible drop of a couple of degrees on the fuel gauge.

Overall though - even with the 58kWh there's very little range anxiety; an overnight granny charge or a bit of detour to find a charger isn't a big deal - it's a small country...

What's the names of the VW ships again ? going to do a search see if there's one due in the next couple of weeks, absolutely livid I am at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭zx80

Patara - just arrived today in Emden from Spain; & Parana - en Route from Portugal to Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭zx80

Neither Patara or Parana listed as due in Dublin up to 4th October...

Cheers, I'm not expecting the car until at least the end of October or first week of november due to the length of time it seems for cars to get from port to dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭pad199207

Livid? I’m fit to kill this evening after what the dealer told me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

That looks soooooooo.like my car.

You just inspired me to spend 7quid on a rattle can to do my wheel trims whilst I wait to sort out my alloys......any second now, after the heating oil,college fees ,new front door,dentist bills ....etc .etc..............

F'kin PCP will be up before I can afford them .........lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭pad199207

'Scuse the 5h1te photo but definitely the best 7euro I've ever spent........

Slightly better pic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Got our ID3 Tour delivered yesterday and so far very impressed. Tomorrow will be a commute from Kilkenny - Dublin so will be interesting to keep an eye on the consumption figures. We switched from the local dealer to Newmarket Motors https://www.newmarketmotors.ie and have to say we were very impressed with the whole process from ordering to the delivery literally to my door.

Looking forward to getting familiar with the car and everything it has to offer. Congrats to those who received theirs recently and safe driving and for those who are waiting I know its not great but it will be worth it when it arrives you will love the car I'm sure.

Post edited by cloudhopper19 on

Advertisement