Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

It would have been an unnecessary distraction to the current good progress the team are making.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭JourneyMan8

yeah asking on social media for people to attend isn't really going to work that well for him. he barely has any Waterford based followers those that do are just RTing into the circles of those who go anyway. Twitter isn't that popular in Waterford either, ive found anyway.

need to be creative to get the Waterford public to back the team. only thing i can think of to suggest is take a hit for the semi final game if the draw is at home and give out free tickets or something. It hits his pocket but a packed stadium getting the bug for local football would be worth it. and then it could push the team over the line to the final.

I wouldn't wish owning Waterford FC on my worst enemy in all honesty. the last time I've seen buzz about them from the casual side of Waterford football is when Dan Conner Neale Fenn and the lads were around haha

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭skaface

He won't have to give out free tickets if we get a home draw for the semi final.. Trust me 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭JourneyMan8

Capacity of the RSC is just over 5,000..

The last time we had a home semifinal there was over 8,000.. Trust me, the fanbase is there.. Unfortunately, with Covid restrictions we wouldn't be able to have anymore than 3,500 to 4,000 allowed for a semifinal.. We would easily fill it

• Advertisement

Anyway, back to matters at hand.. Massive league match Friday nite against Drogheda.. Hopefully we get all 3 points.. We need to be winning our home games ⚽⚽👍

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

History would indicate that they can attract that type of crowd once every few years. Average attendance for Waterford is somewhere between 1,500-2000.

When they were challenging for Europe a few years back they were getting 2,500 for most games and hit the 4,000 mark for Rovers, Dundalk and Cork City... If the team are doing well, the fans will be there.

Was that 2018? Average attendance of 2,314 that season which was 4th highest in the league, which corresponded with the 4th position in the league.

Unfortunately while most clubs in the Premier and First Divisions had big increases the following year, Waterford's went down by 18%.

They can get casual sports fans up for the odd game, keeping them should be the long term objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Can't give away free tickets to the semi final cos the FAI and the away team get a share of the gate!

Nice buzz around the town again and while I am not sure about the long term commitment of the owner, his current enthusiasm is very welcome compared to the last one!

I think November will tell a lot - if there is commitment and early announcements about signings we can have a little bit of hope.

The uncertainty of recent off seasons was a huge factor in where we ended up earlier this season!

We need to hold on to the good prospects - Patterson, Junior, Darragh Power, Shane Griffin etc but I will be glad to see the back of the likes of Prince and Tshipamba, Milambo who have been piss poor really.

• Advertisement

I think the fact that they've been able to give the manager a two year contract offers some cause for optimism.

I think most of the English lads who came over would go back next year if they can, I'd say they were happy to look further afield when they hadn't a better option at home. Possibly more realistic to keep the Irish lads. Guys like Halford and Wordsworth are probably just hoping to prolong their careers, while the likes of Patterson and Junior were in need of regular games and hopefully kick on to a higher level. I doubt they'd have an appetite to stay over here for longer than a season or so, but I could be wrong.

That said, it looks like Jamie Mascoll is still without a club since Bolton released him. I'm not sure if he wanted to stay or not, but he looked like one of the better full backs in the league and is still without a club. For a club like Waterford they'll always have the opportunity of picking up guys like this at short notice. It's a bit like fast food in a way - convenient and does a job but not good for you in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

4 players and the manager signed for next season already.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It would be so so frustrating if we get relegated through the playoff

I wonder was there any sort of commitment clause in the contracts ? ie they can't feck off straight away if we do unfortunately get relegated

I do think Dundalk will come good for the end of the season

Drogheda are slowly been dragged into the relagation zone but we need the 3pts against them tomorrow to ensure that happens. There at a crossroads in terms of league positioning. A few more points and there safe. We need Finn Harps and Dundalk to keep dropping points

The league table is very interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

No idea but Marc Bircham said so at the recent supporters event. Said the rest are playing for their contracts.

Bohs away in the cup, we had a decent record up there recently in the league but no fear of them

3 points for us tonight but sadly other results not going our way but nothing we can do about those

Finn Harps are staying up. Playing good football and in good shape.

Dundalk have some very tricky fixtures but are showing a bit of bottle over the last two or three weeks.

Will go to the wire I think.

Tough draw away to Bohs, but you wouldn't write them off - decent record against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Odd game on Friday night. I thought they sat back far too much once they got the lead and Drogheda could easily have gotten an equaliser. I was almost wondering which side was down to 10 men. Great to get the 3 points but it was a close run thing. They played some nice football in the first half and were definitely on top but they didn't really manage to create too many clear cut chances in my eyes.

Seemed to be a decent enough attendance. Nearly all the seats were filled(except in the away section). Given that the ground has 3100 seats, I would estimate a crowd of over 2500, possibly 2750.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Deiselurker

1711 was the official attendance. A lot of people on social media thought it was higher. I was in the Old Stand and was quite full.New stand had a lot of empty spaces in away section and next 2 sections to that where subs are now.

Good win although it should have been more comfortable as we missed a few good chances at 1 0 leading to nervy finish. We needed the win especially as Dundalk and Finn Harps won too. It will be a battle till end of season to avoid the 2nd bottom play off spot.

Dundalk won tonight which puts us 2 points below. An unusual season. We're on 32 points with 8 games to go. 32 points would guarantee that a team would stay up almost every year. The way things are going at the moment, the second from bottom team will finish with more than 40 points at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

yeah massive win for dundalk this evening, bohs hammered away at them in the last 10 mins as dundalk tired but couldn't get the equaliser. ourselves, harps and dundalk all in decent form and getting results lately, it's going to be some run in, massive games coming up, starting Friday with harps home to dundalk.

Result very much didn't go our way tonight and you'd have to fear Dundalk are getting into gear now and could end up racing up the table

We need the 3 points more than ever next weekend and then hope Dundalk and Harps draw. Sligo is a tough place to get anything

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

I think Dundalk will be ok and Harps are playing very well which is worrying for us however I think Drogheda could get dragged in to it. Their last 4 games are Bohs (away), Sligo (away), Dundalk (Home), Rovers (away) which is a tough run in. We need to keep winning though.

We have a tough run in ourselves in our last four fixtures.. Away to Dundalk, Home to Shamrock Rovers, Away to Longford and Home to Pat's.. Every game is a cupfinal now.. We need a point at least, preferably 3 against Sligo away on Saturday.. Never an easy lace to get a result.. Dundalk seem to be hitting a purple patch at the right time.. Massive game between themselves and Harps Friday.. As you say.. Drogheda are been dragged into a relegation battle also now.

While I would love 3 points in Sligo, I would take a point if you offered me one now.

Finn Harps really don't give up, 2-2 last night against Dundalk. Mixed result for us, Drogheda slowly getting dragged into the relagation zone

We need something out of tonights game but it's going to be very difficult up in Sligo

Am I right in thinking 2 more defeats for Longford and there officially relegated ? Shelbourne winning the first division last night

Best of luck to Mark and the team later on tonight.. We need something out of the game #BLUES

• Advertisement

1-1 in the end

Happy enough leaving with a point. Talk of the Derry game next weekend been postponed because of International call ups. That game and then Finn Harps are mammoth games and both been at home hopefully gets us the 6 points

Wonder what the hold up is confirming the cup semi finals times and dates

Post edited by PTH2009 on

Advertisement