Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

hey, i cant answer your question, but i see you went through this whole process befor, any advice on the driving assessment or interview? have mine next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Orlando2019

Driving assessment: first thing is first don't forget when you drive out of broadstone that there is a stop sign at the barrier make sure you respect it look left-right for pedestrians and then proceed. Take it nice and handy use your mirrors, signal in good time be curteous and and keep an eye on the speed the main point is be a calm and safe driver that's what they want to see, if you're not familiar with the phibsborough area I would go and drive through it before hand to familiarise with it.

Interview part: Like everyone probably says here safety, safety, safety make sure you include that in each answer, They will ask you what you did at your previous job have you dealt with being under pressure before, have you ever gotten into conflict before at work, why do you want to become a bus driver, what do you know about dublin bus? ,they might ask you a scenario question such as what do you do if you get anti social behaviour as a bus driver, or what would you do if an elderly passenger doesn't have his fare money and other such questions, Just remember as a bus driver you'll do your best to sort out any rowes and confrontations diplomatically, and if that fails then you will ask controller for further assistance such as guards etc, but as a driver you will never be expected and should never take any physical or aggressive confrontations.

also make sure you seem useful to them they want someone who is flexible and reliable if you start saying that you can't work sundays or can't do night's and all you may probably not get the job...

Hope this helps and just remeber SAFETY 😂

thanks for the detailed info regarding this stage, i went out earlier today to have a scan around just to see the roads like you said.

will try take all this info on board and remember it when im doing the interview.

cheers

had the test and interview this morning, test was ok, the foothand brake had me confused/flustered at the start at the traffic lights after the sneaky stop sign that is almost invisible. but flew through it after that.

interview went grand, they were impressed i knew how many depots were there and could name them.

felt i answered everything the way they wanted me to, they asked some things different ways then i realised they wanted to know am i familiar with filling out reports, i had 2 sets of points on my licence and they said one is finished in a month what about the other lot,so i was honest and said it was stupid of me to get them.

then at the end they sprung the assessment test on me again as i done it online, was stuck thinking of 100 words why i want to be a bus driver lol.

i only applied 3 weeks ago so fingers crossed now and was told to keep an eye on emails.

anyone else going through the stages at the moment??

Sounds like you got the job my friend if you get the email for medical you are pretty much in....

• Advertisement

ah i still may not get to the medical, just waiting on the email or a call.

and even at the medical i could fail for being abit overweight.

how are you finding working for them??

I wouldn't worry too much about it loads of drivers are, as long as you are healthy and don't have any disabilities you should get it, worst case the CMO will call you a year later to check again like it had done with a colleague of mine that was slightly overweight ... still got the job and all.

Working for them it has its ups and downs mostly due to the shift work its hard to maintain a proper work/life balance, sleep pattern and such because of the unpredictable shifts you get, other than that is all good, easiest money you'll ever earn and you don't to answer to no one if you come in to work in time ,keep your head down and do your job with the least interaction as possible with the public, drive safe go home get paid and be happy 😅

ah yea i said the shifts are hard to get used too alright.

i am generally healthy but i am T1 diabetic(well controlled) so I'm not sure how that will affect me....do you know of any T1 diabetics there by any chance lol

boom medical date and all now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Congratulations, it sounds like you're in. If you're only a bit overweight, I wouldn't worry too much about that at all.

• Advertisement

thanks, i am abit over weight, but by time medical is done in four weeks ill be a little lighter i hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mitcha

I’ve sent in my application form and got word back this morning as my to complete an online assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 stevvieo

Hi guys, had my driving assessment on Friday 22nd October and an interview afterwards, then had a small written assessment (15 minutes).

Bit nervous playing the waiting game now, how long do you think until I hear back?

Will they let me know if it's a yay or nay?

Thanks

you need to pass the assessment or they don't interview you.

After my interview i heard back in two working days for the medical.

you will hear back after the interview by email or post if its a yay or nay.

i had a four week wait for the medical which felt like forever, now I'm waiting on the last call now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Soule26

Hello Stephen how are you

I just would like to ask you how long take to get your response for the application and when you apply please? Because me I applied one month ago but I didn't get reply .

Thanks I advance

I applied for the job originally in August, got the online assessment in the middle of September and Friday the 22nd was my driving assessment and interview. Just getting nervous waiting now, I know it was a bank holiday weekend but a few lads I know got the call for the medical within a day.

It's a long process in total, alot of waiting

hey, i applied start of september and end of that week i got an invitation to do the assessment.

did you get a reply to say they received your application?

i heard within two workin days, i have heard alot of people waited months but they should tell you either way.

Thanks for the reply, I could be just impatient but the nerves are taking over haha

They said the medical would be next week if successful, but I know everything is dragged out. The test driver said I was brilliant and the assessment was 100%, but the interview was a bit rough. I was polite and talked safety but it felt like an interrogation haha

Hope you get the final call, yeah I've heard many different stories of people hearing back in a day or 2, or even weeks.

Fingers crossed you get the call

• Advertisement

haha, on the driving everything was fine except the first time i put the hand footbrake on 🤣🤣 mind went blank and i couldn't find it with my foot.....kept calm and flew through it.

yea i remained calm and was honest as i could be, but at the end of interview the way she was talking was i was definitely going for the medical.

sure then you are only really waiting 3 days, you may hear back by end of the end, one of the emails i was waiting on i got on a Friday at 6:30pm.

fingers crossed for ya anyways

small delay for me because my blood pressure was a small bit high, they want a report from my doctor on it but he said all looks well.

just need to do 24hr blood pressure test, so should know by next week i hope.

How was the medical? They told me where the doctor is based and that if that goes well I'll know that day.

Can't stop checking my emails 🤣

Yeah that handbrake (footbrake) was horrible to use. It's like its extra tight and locks up with the slightest touch

haha i know the feeling, i had to wait 4 weeks for medical never thought it would come.

medical is very straight forward. bloods taken, urine, ecg, loads of questions.

fingers crossed man

has anyone had to go and get blood pressure checked by their doctor due to it being high on the day of the medical?

wonder how long it would it take once the doctor emails the results in?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kopite96

Had a medical 4 weeks ago same problem blood pressure high my doctor sent in report after monitoring it all normal its called white coat syndrome apparently. Just waiting on the call now.

thanks for your reply.

that's a long time after handing it in isnt it?

i was expecting a call by midweek if doctor was to email it in today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kopite96

From my experience tru the process it does take quite a while just have to patient and hope they get back to you soon.

• Advertisement

Do you guys think I should ring HR to follow up my interview? It was the 22nd of October and I've still heard nothing back, have another opportunity for a job and don't know what to do.

Don't think I'll be getting an email for the medical now.

There was a mix up on the day of the interview, I was in for 11am and another guy showed up at the same time, his interview was for the following week so they tried to accommodate him on top of my driving assessment and interview so I don't know if there was some confusion. They said I should get an email in a few days but nothing so far.

Anybody follow up with HR in the past?

Thanks for any help

Advertisement