Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

This is what you said yesterday "As for building the houses, all you need is a contract manager, QS and a few engineers and sub everything else out". Which is incorrect.

The Department of Housing is setup to build houses as per their remit(attached), you don't have any idea what they do/don't do so I dont see how you can question the staff that work in that department. https://www.gov.ie/en/organisation-information/370584-about-the-department-of-housing-planning-and-local-government/

A huge number of houses and developments are been blocked by political parties, you can find plenty of links knocking around and at different stages you will find all have blocked them but some at this stage are intent on blocking houses to make the issue worse, why you might ask? well they are in opposition and it doesn't help them if the government is successful. So expect more & more.

This is also discussed on the Sinn Fein thread if you want more information.

I don't think the government has the expertise, Im saying the exact opposite. I am saying the government need developers because they are the people who know how to build large housing developments on budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

What I said was the government should be building houses for the state cutting out the developer,

Why do you think you need developers, people are being brainwashed into thinking that they are needed, well they are not.

There is plenty of expertise in this country that would be quite happy to jump ship from some of the biggest developers in the country if they were offered a secure job working for the government.

Just to give an example, a new government house building department identifies a site for 100 houses and obtain planning permission.

You get your government QS to tender out everything from groundwork at the start to painting the houses at the finish, the same thing a developer does.

Site opens up you have your contracts manager, site foreman and engineer on site, that all you need to supervise the site.

Every subby that come on after the has their expertise in their field, no need for government expertise

So you tell me now why we need developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

theres very low agreement of expansion of the public sector at the moment, if we could create such an environment, it might work, but since this is the current situation, its highly unlikely to happen, therefore developers are in fact needed

Don't agree that we need developers,

Where there's a will there's a way, the government had no problem setting up a new department for Mr Harris when it suited for example.

The government don’t have me brain washed and what you post sounds great, but that’s not the reality.

You don’t even mention an architect for this supposed 100 houses which is the first thing you would need? Your QS wouldn’t be up to much without plans.

Will leave you to it

• Advertisement

Seen that you are trying to be smart, an architect would be employed before planning permission is obtained in the first place, so no need for him on site unless there is a problem.

I am just pointing out flaws in your plan. An architect would be involved at every step of the build. Loads can happen on a site which would mean a change to plans and clarifications etc.

For a large site development which would normally done in phases the houses built in year 1 can be totally different to the ones in the following years. This is because reg can change. I know of a site which built all houses in phase 1, now on phase 3 they got planning for houses rejected and it is all duplex's and apartments. The number of car parks spots and all sorts change. The ratings changes, so the heating system for the newer houses had to be all changed which meant swapping from radiators in the original build to underfloor heating etc etc

With 35+ years of experience I would expect you would be aware of all of that,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

He didn't mention a plumber either, you really have him on the ropes there.

It's more constructive discussing the topic than trying to trip people up or knot them in pedantry.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

of course the government can do these things, but their fundamental ideologies are opposed to such things, many heads must be currently spinning in our government due the basic fact, we re running a deficit, and thats just the start of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Just came across this stupidity from the Minister for children. As observed in the article adoptees are fine with it along with most of rest of us. Why does he insist on poking things that don't need to be poked?

• Advertisement

I have come to the conclusion that you spend too much time watching Dermot Bannon, if an architect did their job right in the first place there would be no need for them on-site, but I agree sometimes plans change but most of that sort of work in done in their office, very rarely do you see an architect on site.

I know, but we keep on hearing that money is not the problem, who many billons are involved in the latest housing plan, all giving to developers to build houses that will never be owned by us, at least if you have to use the developer let them build them at x amount and then at least then you own them.

The propaganda is 'free houses' and 'foreva homes' for the workshy or those who won't pay rent. The reality is the same people are being housed in hotels until their luxury leased apartment is ready. So it's just nonsense designed to turn people off the idea of council owned builds.

As recent as 15 or so years ago the council buying houses to use as social would have been a scandal due to the waste and families in hotels would have made the papers. These were last ditch desperate measure stop gaps, now they are part of the every day system. Very wasteful.

Current housing policy creates the need for the lease/rent/buy 'solution'. It's solution is also feeding the problem. The tax payer is left with the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The taxpayer will pay regardless, that much is clear. If only there was a wealth tax where one could use it to generate income for social housing.... eh?

You can come to whatever conclusion you want. I never said anything about the architect been onsite, you came up with that. First you forgot the architect, then you said they only needed for planning permission. Now you agree they are actually needed after that? yet you are questioning my experience of building.

It's way off topic so I will leave you to it.

Our planning is the problem, we only have so much land in the locations the people want houses. You can ignore it but people on the waiting list rejects houses because they want them in the exact location they require.

Moving forward in cities Ireland should not be building houses and large apartment blocks should be built like every other major city in the World. The problem we have is everyone on the waiting list wants a 3-4 bedroom house with a nice garden. If they don't get that they would prefer to sit on that list to get it.

We have a poor public transport system and instead of trying to consolidate we are spreading out cities like Dublin, it is ridiculous carry on.

The lack of rent coming from councils is also a huge issue.

The system needs a total overhaul but I don't see any party suggesting anything of the sort. All I hear is noise from the opposition and the government are trying but no idea if it will work. For the long term someone should cop on building houses is a waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Lowry is on the FG email list, he's independent in name only

I clearly stated what was needed to run a job, you there one the thought you needed an architect on the job, not me.

I'm not ignoring anything. You are bringing in valid issues that don't excuse poor housing policy. Where somebody chooses to live or council arrears doesn't relate to what we are discussing.

If all you are hearing from the opposition is noise you need pay more attention.

If you believe the government are trying, why are they engaging in the same failed policies?

• Advertisement

I'd prefer if we changed housing policy to stop creating a need for and depending on private builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

How do you complete the BCAR process without an architect? I'll save you having to look that up, you can't.

An Engineer can sign off on it you don't need an architect.

How do you know that? Do you have access to the FG list?

I guess that 4 billion a year is being spent on Fanta and Crisps.

If that's code for 25 year leases with no option to buy, luxury apartments or hotels, sure.

So let me get this straight; we are on the verge of power black outs this winter in part due to Data centres and absolutely no forward planning? And now, today, there's talk of maybe cutting back on the Data centres and asking companies to use generators of their own?

Does anyone in charge plan ahead or keep an eye on things? It seems we lumber blindly from one problem to another. What'll it be, we need power now, so we called in Denis O'Brien and Larry Goodman?

Good work FF/FG/Green *slow hand clap*

• Registered Users Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭banie01

FFG pushing the notion of a November Thanksgiving BH?

We cannot take ourselves seriously as a nation who value the needs and rights of others, or indeed continue valuing the Choctaw and Native American links which we as a nation seem to treasure if we allow the new bank holiday to be Thanksgiving.

It's tantamount to celebrating the Genocide of those we purport to value. For the sake of Irish America and a bit of paddywhackery?

We have a nice gap between Jan and March that has a date that offers both a Celtic and Feminine feast day as an option. Stick the be BH in for Feb 1st and celebrate Imbolc and Brigid.

How many times do I have to repeat, local authorities sign up to those leases. NOT central government.

Central government has committed 4 Billion a year, (the guts of 40 Billion over 10 years) to do EXACTLY what you are asking them to do, build more social, public, and affordable housing.

• Advertisement

Ah Christ, a new Bank Holiday is being proposed on the same day as Thanksgiving, and sure, we may as well be engaging in Ethnic Cleansing and Genocide.

Cant take ye lads seriously.

Post edited by markodaly on

Advertisement