Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Higgins Praises Travellers Contribution to Irish Society

167891012»

Comments

Breath of truth fair play to you. Great post.

Your dealing in fact and addressing the problem.

There is a good traveller element also we all agree there.

Your post nails the issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Maybe Michael Dee being a slaphead admires their fine heads of hair, you don't see many bald travellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭irish2021traveller

I'm a traveller and to be honest the representatives if my culture are a joke if there fighting a uphill battle I can say without a doubt they have lined there pockets in the process and don't plan to give up the job till they keel over. They should be voted in by my community every couple years and to be honest might be a good incentive to start the community to all vote and that way more awake to what's going on around them instead of looking at YouTube videos like a pack of donkeys

I'm conflicted with your comment Micro discrimination is a problem I delt with first hand but your right to say most travellers are arseholes and very small minded but not all which we are in agreement and to to say condoned is a strong word because what you don't see on tv is the opposite to face to face meetings on the street with looks for the tow. Residents that know your a traveller and just stare at you in the judge way like there **** don't stink and I didnt have to throw out there sons for fighting in the pub I do security in. But that's not part of the discussion 😅

• Advertisement

I wonder does this include myself as a full time worker and pays taxes am I chomping onto my own as u say tit not very sensible at all that 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You, and by what you said about your family, are proving the point that hard work and education is what is needed to improve the lot of travellers.

But what does the likes of pavee point and the bleeding hearts that adopt travellers as some kind of pet project do and say?

They just excuse the cr** attitude and cr** lifestyle choices made by other travellers.

A mass brawl breaks out somewhere and they are on excusing it by claiming the travellers are discriminated against.

And yes you would have experienced discrimination, simply because people find out you are from a traveller background.

I am not saying there aren't ar**holes in the settled community. There are way too many, and some of them are as bad and often worse than the ones in the traveller community they base their opinions on.

I am saying that a lot of people in the settled community are sick and tired of travellers, as in they don't want to do business with them, don't want to live near them, don't want anything to do with them, because it very often means trouble.

And this is often because of past experiences dealing with them in shops, pubs, as neighbours, even at their own homes, etc.

A lot of people don't call travellers names, don't want them wiped out, but they are still sick of seeing their taxes going to support a lifestyle that is often toxic and not improving anyone's lives.

No I don't include you since you are another one of us, i.e a contributing taxpaying member of society who tries to do their best.

My reference to traveller there was with reference to the majority of travellers who have no discernible income, are on various supports and contribute shag all to society.

Actually we can lump most politicians and not just Mickie D into that club.

I am not allowed discuss …

Lets be clear though, if someone gets robbed because they left the front door open, it's still the fault of the thief, not the fault of the victim.

The problem with your logic is that you could also have said "if you don't install a deadlock your more likely to be robed" or "if you don't have cctv your more likely to be robed" or "if you don't employ a security firm your more likely to be robed". Where do you stop ? All these approaches are basically only making a property less attractive to thieves compared to others nearby, whereas the real answer is to stop the thieving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hawley

THERE IS “NO question” that there is ingrained institutional racism against the Traveller community in Ireland, Minister for Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth Roderic O’Gorman has said.

The same message as Michael Higgins. Everyone else is at fault. They're making no effort to improve their own circumstances. Travellers left extra families into the halting site in Cork, they dumped rubbish in an adjacent area and then turned around and blamed the council. O'Gorman doesn't want to acknowledge any of those facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Should ask him would he live next to a halting site, and if he doesn't say yes, call him racist. Might be one of the biggest idiots ever elected, which is an achievement in our government.

He boasts, in the article, of how the concerns of local residents were overcome in a case in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Contemporary left wing Identity politics is opposed to assimilation. Travellers are encouraged to embrace their culture, warts and all. The rest us will have to adapt to suit the needs of Travellers rather than the other way round. Encouraging travellers to stay at school is the privileged majority enforcing its will on a vulnerable minority. .Or something along those lines...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I wanted to add my own 2 cents here.

I went to school with a few travellers and had many small interactions with them growing up and some of these experiences were negative.

I will say I have changed my view of travellers to a certain extent, not sure why exactly but I think the older you get the more life experience you have and you start to reflect upon things with more nuance and insight. There are a few experiences with travellers that stand out in my mind however.

My father told me that donkeys years ago he was on a night out and ended being attacked by some fella (not a traveller), he got hurt and ended up on the ground and the other fella was going to kick him in the head and could have caused serious damage. Some traveller, whom he didn't really know, jumped in to stop the guy kicking my father in the head.

I worked in Tesco for a few years when I was a student. A traveller fella around my age at the time (19) was shopping for hair gel and asked me if the tub he had in his hand was hair gel, he said he couldn't read and wanted to be sure. He asked me in a fairly casual way but I could see in his eyes that he was embarrassed and ashamed at saying this. Also during this period, outside the supermarket one day there was a massive queue for the ATM (something you don't see nowadays). I'd never seen it so long before and wondered what was up. A colleague told me afterwards that there was a traveller fella using the ATM and for whatever reason the bank had changed the layout of the options on the screen when you put in your card. The fella couldn't read and he was too embarrassed to ask the person next to him for help so he just froze and stood there unsure what to do until the person beside him stepped and asked if he wanted help. It was then he explained he was able to work the machine with the previous layout but now it was changed he couldn't figure it out.

My mother worked in a shop in a petrol garage years ago. There was a traveller I went to school with who used to go in there from time to time. I thought this fella was a scumbag and I had heard of him robbing people at school. I was very surprised then when my mother told me that he was very nice and polite to her every time he came into the shop, that they kept an eye on him because they thought he might steal something, but he never did. My mother said the guy smelled bad and she guessed that he had been rummaging about in the dump looking for stuff that had some value (the dump was close enough to the shop). She said he also used to pay with 1 pence and 5 pence coins that he had found here and there. What stood out in my mind as most surprising though is that he never bought chocolate or sweets or anything with this money but always went for the nutritious stuff like yoghurts. I didn't know any young lad of that age (12-13) who would choose something like yoghurts over sweets if they had the choice.

I know some people will say they don't have sympathy for travellers who can't read because they have the opportunity to go to school and they should make the most of it. To a certain extent this is true. But as someone also said earlier I can't imagine what it does to your development as a person when almost everyone, everywhere you go looks down upon you, and regards you as a piece of ****. Growing up like this doesn't produce an environment conducive to fitting it or embracing the settled community.

In terms of actual contribution to Irish society, in my opinion the greatest piece of Irish music ever was written by a traveller - The Lonesome Boatman by The Fureys, written by Finbarr Furey. There are a couple of different versions if you're looking it up. We, Irish, are genuinely much more artistic and creative than most people across the world. I've been living outside Ireland for over 10 years now so I feel I can confidently say that. This was an interesting personal revelation for myself to acknowledge that it was a traveller who wrote one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard. It made me think to myself, maybe we need to look at things afresh and re-evaluate a lot of things about our society in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I have the utmost sympathy for any adult who is illiterate and would help anyone in that position. But there is no excuse for it in 2021. He has every opportunity to learn to read whenever he chooses to do so.

Y'all are aware of this?

Request for sub forum dedicated to discussion of cultural issues related to traveler integration.

We're 3 votes up and it's 18 to make it past the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's not his job to, given the "facts" are separate issues for the relevant authorities to deal with.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

This is an appalling article. Why should members of the settled community be forced to defend themselves over one person selling a dirty caravan to a traveller. If it was the orher way around and a settled person was trying to smear the travelling community, the post wouldn't have been allowed.

"One said: “Please don’t think all non travellers would hand something over filthy, some of us are spotless.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

It's an article in The Sun designed to get a rise. The whole point of the article is the idea a Traveler is critical of dirty settled people I imagine. playing into an ironic reversal of the stereotypes.

• Advertisement

Like all sections of society, there’s good and there’s bad.

• Wrong. There has always been a systemic racism problem in America which has seen that quite overwhelmingly police target black people more often than white. That’s just fact.

however in general in Ireland the Gardai have a very soft approach to travellers. Be it because they’re afraid of them, they cba or what but the two things don’t in anyway relate to one another.

As a distinct ethnic group in Ireland, with a rich history of nomadism and cultural practices that are separate from the settled population, Travellers have a particular need when it comes to being housed in culturally appropriate accommodation. 

Another article from the Journal on the travelling community. Apparently everything that is wrong in the community is the fault of the state and settled people. Also accusations of racism in trying to get them to assimilate into mainstream society. Travellers accuse settled people of being dirty, but in this article the travellers' site is filthy and has a rat infestation that causes sickness. It's very sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

ah the journal.ie is nothing more than a lobbyist group for pavee point at this stage.

You just know its Pavee point forking out to fund these so called newsworthy articles when the rest of them fail miserably to generate any funding whatsoever.

I've a neighbour right across from me who's been stealing dogs for the past year, and is currently still awaiting trial for stealing dogs which has been delayed due to covid. He's banned from keep dogs but he's still churning through 2-3 dogs a week if not more. Yet somehow the journal and Pavee point will still turn this into a non-traveler issue.

Advertisement