Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

There really isn’t. We have the highest uptake of lorry drivers in Europe. Most of our drivers are also European but they’re free to work here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Just ordered this from Dunnes. Only €10 and I absolutely love it!!😊

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Oh that’s a beauty!

Can’t believe we’re into the 80’s tomorrow 😳😳😱😱

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

The Range say they are getting their Christmas stock, that will be their UK stores but hopefully we are not far behind...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Was in The Range Waterford Wednesday they were putting some stock out then, hopefully they will be putting more out in a couple of weeks, looking for 480 lights for a tree outside i know half stopped working last year, seem to have to buy new sets every year quality not as good anymore.

The range Coolock has their Christmas stock in 😃😃

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

In the range in liffey Valley earlier today, not gonna lie, bought some Christmas stuff... Will be back in 2 weeks when they expect to have their full range in.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

No Christmas stuff for sale here yet. I am toying with buying this though. The OH is not so keen. Its 2.2m long and 1.4m high and has an LED light inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We're into the Eighties!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Wow Rudolph day has passed and we are into the eights the hype is getting real!!

how was everyone’s weekend ? We didn’t get up to much out for walks some dinner out, watching Ryder Cup and some online browsing for a Christmas Day outfit for my little one

My pal bought my little baby girl her first Christmas decoration she got her initial it’s fab

gorgeous Jellybear!!

DvB do tell of your purchases ?

Just heard Ad on radio for Gaiety Panto ! Tickets on sale this week

I got an absolute hankering for some Christmas music this morning. ChristmasFM classical might be getting a spin today.

Had a great w/e ourselves, all went to plan on the sporting front too which is always nice!! In the range we got a large standing cuddly reindeer complete with hat & scarf, my son fell in love with him so we just had to have him. We also picked up 1000 mixed white LED lights for our external christmas tree, we were originally going to go for the quality street multi colour look (to match the bushes at the front of the house) but they had them out on display & the mixed whites looked fantastic so the Mrs insisted we get them instead. We let the kids pick up a new bauble each as well for the tree (we do that every year) and I picked up a couple of small bits to add to my home office... felt I was light in there last year & needed some more christmas decor to brighten it up for the days I'm WFH in the run up.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB, you've reminded me of a lovely tradition- getting a new bauble for the kids each year 😊 I know a couple of posters are celebrating their baby's first Christmas so I'd definitely recommend starting this tradition.

I try to go with something he's interested in each year, so this year I got a gorgeous wooden train one as he loves Thomas the Tank Engine but I couldn't find anything reasonably priced so a wooden one it is 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Well it's lovely to be back in this forum, It's kinda going to be an odd Christmas this year for me, pretty sure its the last year of Santa arriving as my youngest just turned 12 and into secondary school next year and all going well its the last Christmas in our home of the last 15 years, and with missing most of Christmas last year due to being close contacts, I think I really need to cheerish this Christmas more then ever. Anyways great to be back and looking forward to chatting all things Christmas the next 3 months....

You're lucky to have lasted this long LS. Our two turn 11 in January and this is the first year they're 'aware' following a campaign of sorts by some of their classmates who decided it was time everyone knew the truth... many a parent on the class whatsapp group went crazy over it. So it seems last year unbeknown to us at the time was our last christmas with 2 believers!!

In saying that I still tell them that I believe in Christmas & the spirit of it etc. and that they can too & that we'll still celebrate it with the same gusto every year so it doesnt have to change & be any less of a celebration. So far they seem well up for it so we're back on track as far as I'm concerned... though they did draw the line at visiting santa or going to one of the santa experiences or suchlike, but we're going the wild lights at Dublin zoo in its place & will make as big a deal of the day as we did previously with the santa experience ones.

• Advertisement

Oh Man thats a shame, very hard for them not to hear anything in School and we are probably being naïve in thinking she still believes but until she tells us otherwise let the magic continue. Your dead right to about making the same fuss about the occasion, so what if they know, the magic should never be diluted, and if anything should mean so much more as everybody will now be aware just how much hard work you have put in over past years.

Exactly. Christmas is more than santa, way more.

Either way, enjoy your last 'believer' year, those years go by so fast its scary.

DvB and Jellybear thanks for the heads up on Christmas bauble tradition that’s a brilliant idea

DvB your non believers are in for a treat hats off to you for getting Wild Lights in replacement of Santa experience that’s amazing everything will just be as special I love that idea

So true, Christmas is way more about Santa, unfortunately we don't realise this as kids we only realise it after the fact when we're adults.

DvB you're moving into the "board games" stage of Christmas as I call it, when you can replace Santa activities with Family activities. You're spot on going to Wild Lights, great family occasion. As I said many times before the reason I love Christmas so much is as I'm from a big family it was usually the only time of the year we were all together.

Enjoy the board game stage, as it won't be long before they'll be doing Christmas Eve/Stephens Day pints with their friends. But don't worry that stage doesn't last too long either and they'll like most of us end up just wanting to be around family at Christmas.

I love the bauble tradition idea, myself and my OH have been doing it since we've been together, baubles to mark landmark years, engagement, new home, first dog, etc.

My tree won't win any prizes for looking the prettiest but it's stacked full of lovely memories and soon to add more....

• Advertisement

I've come to terms with the 'santa' years being over TBH, and as have said here before its just a moving on to another type of christmas for us as a family, its never been a case of doing it just for the kids, I'll love christmas till the day I die & if I have my way so will the family, change is nice as well as it needs to be mixed up over time, despite all our traditions and suchlike you need to keep it exciting and interesting and not a rinse & repeat kind of thing IMO, otherwise it will get a tad stale.

I have to admit I got such a buzz looking at all the christmas bits yesterday & am more excited about this coming christmas than I have been for a while (though I'm sure I say that every year 😁)

Me too. Only I forgot my headphones so had to do without! 🙄😣

Next have their Christmas shop on their app

some gorgeous pieces some I would love for myself

3 for 2 on wrapping with gift tags, I seen the cutest gold wrapping paper with penguins on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I so want to go to this now i know out exists. €79 for 2adults & 2kids will need to be run post Mrs D for approval first though; we've just agreed in part few days that we wouldn't do a Santa 'experience' this year.

And now that theres been talk about breaking kids or of school early on a weekday for Christmas adventures, i also really want to be that patent.

My mum always took us each our for 1 day in December to go into the and so Christmas shopping. I'm not sure I'll be allowed to follow that tradition fully, but would love to bring it on a little bit.

Update: Booked for December!! So excited already. Thanks for the heads up. 🎄

Post edited by DavyD_83 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Ordered it today after seeing it on here. Got some robin baubles and two of the cushions that say naughty on one side and nice on the other 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

It was all going so well until the naughty and nice cushions😄

Picked it up today and have it sitting on the mantle piece this evening 😁 The lights add a lovely glow to the room 😊 Will probably put it away till closer to Christmas but it was nice to have a trial run 😁

I was looking for them, to see what they look like in 'real' life but they weren't in the Henry Street Dunnes, gosh dang it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I reckoned that they were worth the gamble for a fiver each.

True, because I'm not spending €15 on their other ones! 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

It's cold this morning! First one where I've considered putting the heating on.

Think yesterday may have been my last day of shorts for the year.

Agree. Just back from the school run & it is noticeably chillier... think as its a WFH day there'll be some classical Christmas FM to keep me company 😃

I definitely felt it last night and this morning. First morning since I started back in the gym back in June that I had to put on a ziptop over the gym tshirt before leaving the house. And last night was the first night I properly slept under the duvet cover with the window only opened a crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Morning all, still catching up on posts from last week. 90 new posts in this thread alone!! Good to see everyone getting in the spirit, picking up presents and decorations already.

Had a great few days away. Was staying down near Hook Lighthouse which is a beautiful part of the country. Swam in the sea every morning and lots of walks and trips to the beach. Kids had a blast with the cousins and gave the folks a proper 50th anniversary celebration and Elf1 as well for her birthday.

So glad took yesterday off so could sort washing, tidy the house etc.

Back to the grindstone today however all the posts in her have made this morning much more bearable :)

Sounds like a good time was had by all @TRS30 great stuff.

• Advertisement

You're all mad to be listening to Christmas fm this early in the year.....however should say, a friend who has the app, want to listen to the classical version, would I tell my friend how to do so.

When you launch the app, cick on the 3 red lines at the top left, this brings up the menu, scroll down & you'll find 'our other stations' click on that and it lists the various different ones, click on classical & away you go!

BTW I agree with it being too early for the standard Christmas FM, but the classical one can be relaxing as background music, similar to lyric fm.

Morning all

yes it certainly got cold last night we put the heating on just to take the chill out of it, I thought I would be ok in a sweatshirt and T-shirt for a walk this morning with the Pram but just threw a light jacket on too

We have been lucky so far with the weather for how late in September it is

I love cosy weather but I’m glad of this weather at the moment so I can get out in the fresh air with the Pram

OH had yesterday off so I don’t know where I am with the days

I love reading the forum with everyone’s news and plans

Just bought another Christmas present so that's my parents and sister sorted 😊

We're all being a little more frugal this year, I'm a divil for overspending, so I'm delighted with what I've got so far and I'm sticking to my budget 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Orchard has their Christmas section up but closed off. Few bits outside the barriers.

Can't be long - already have the subtle lights up in the furniture areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

My friends bday is Christmas Day and was thinking of getting her this as part of her birthday present: https://www.next.ie/en/style/st883277/A41383#A41383

She loves donkeys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Flying Tiger now has an online store. Might be useful for Christmas!

https://eu.flyingtiger.com/

Advertisement