Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something needs to be done about the conspiracy theories forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I'm not interested in the topic here at all.

What does interest me is seeing YOU indulging in a spot of moral grandstanding when you made accusations against me, that were utterly without foundation, I called you out on it and made a point of making sure it was clear that you were utterly wrong in what you said and that you were demonstrably incapable of practicing what you preach (basic written comprehension being one of the more pointed issues), and guess what? You went missing from the thread for a week, never addressing my last reply to you.

This type of posting shows precisely that there are problems aplenty from both sides of the aisle on the CT forum, intellectual dishonesty being an issue for both groups. This is relevant to this thread because it shows, yet again, that the issues in the CT forum are not concentrated in one camp.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Your template idea is decent. To be frank I suspect your original involvement is mainly due to a personal spat with a poster or two (including myself) on the CT forums. There are personal spats and issues and grudges on all forums, it's not something unique to conspiracy theory forums. Likewise people have been carded and warned on both sides of the debate of that forum.

As for your views on intellectual dishonesty, it exists on both sides, but for anyone objectively looking at that forum, not in any proportion. People coming in expressing extreme views/theories are far more prone to it. It's the nature of it. Shady sources, questionable "experts", pseudo-science, logical fallacies, etc are heavily stacked on one "side" of the debate. Ivor Cummins, Alex Jones, Richard Gage, Greene, prominent anti-vaxxers, etc, etc, it's a swamp of intellectual dishonesty.

°°°°°

You're free to air your suspicions and I can appreciate where you are coming from.

I'm an infrequent poster in the CT forum, and yes I did have a spat with you and Kingmob last year, which whilst we are on the topic of intellectual dishonesty was based on you describing another user as a holocaust denier (go big or go home with the labels you apply to your enemies would seem to be the order of the day in the CT forum) when they were (from memory) talking about the other victims of the Nazis as being recognized as part of the holocaust which to your and Kingmob's mind was akin to stating that holocaust never happened. It was an example of how skeptics pile onto a poster and beat them into submission, which to my mind is not a noble cause and in that particular case was based in what any rational person would describe as an extremely dishonest position.

I did post in the CT forum a long time ago and gave it a miss for the most part because of the behavior described by other people on this thread. I feel the CT forum should not revert to a prior charter but begin again with a focus on reigning in the behaviour of poster such as yourself as it makes the forum an insufferable mess.

My motivations for being on this thread are not based in personal grudges (sorry to burst your bubble on that one) but rather to see that forum FINALLY be run correctly. The template idea adds a reasonable set of constraints to the CT side and a new charter should /would stop the piling on that gets carried out by the skeptics. Both sides need to change, and to be frank the whole forum needs to grow up and cop on.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Lol. Nope. That isn't what happened at all.

The person you are describing was a holocaust denier because they were claiming the number of Jewish people killed was significantly lower (By millions) than the numbers accepted by actual historians. And that the numbers claimed by actual historians was the result of an academic conspiracy. And amoung other things claimed that the Gas chambers are Auschwitz where fakes.

In my opinion if Cheerful is saying 2 million Jews "disappeared" instead of being killed by the Nazis that makes him a holocaust denier.

If you are remembering this wrong, you are remembering it extremely wrong.

Thanks for the openness

The poster you are referring to openly admitted (on previous occasions with different iterations of their username) their belief that the Jews exaggerated the Holocaust and that only 1 or 2 million died. On any forum, anywhere, that is classed as Holocaust denial, and will usually result in a ban. On the CT forum, that debate continued, for years, with the user continually modifying the numbers but using the same denial techniques. You just jumped in at (much) later stage in that whole debate and judged it based on your perceptions at the time. And a spat ensued. Not going to get into that.

Back on the subject, and to repeat, the template idea is decent, why do you think there has been zero uptake by any of the conspiracy-minded posters? (for use of a better phrase)

Why do you think they don't want to say what the conspiracy is or give any evidence for it in any sort of template? how do you think that relates to intellectual dishonesty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,394 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

this is still going on !?!?!??!

The usual suspects throwing the usual accusations and their word is gospel....

Seriously lads , lighten up, and maybe log out for a while.

The real world isnt too bad out there......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

I replied, I was warned for my response and it was deleted, so I declined to reply again.

Here's what you originally posted:

Questioning conspiracy theories isn't some sort of pseudo scientific jihad, engaging in a respectful manner (even with people you think are stupid) helps your own argument immensely.

While not an outright accusation, it is extremely heavily implied that you found my post disrespectful. I stand over that assertion.

°°°°°

It wasn't outright accusation, I never implied anything, I was speaking in the abstract about the overall tone of discussion in the CT forum.

You appropriated that as me saying something about you (the discussion was clearly about how skeptics interact with others, you described that as "God's work" which I addressed as a ridiculous notion which was echoed by my describing it further as a "pseudo scientific jihad"). You were also stating that I was incapable of basic reading comprehension, which was incredibly ironic in light of you running with what I will charitably describe as your "feelings" about my post.

Why is this relevant? It displays that even those who talk a big game about evidence, proof and logic are happy to abandon those principles in favor of having a go at someone they take issue with.

You casually cast aspersions without pause for consideration of your own short comings. You are so blinded by your desire to take the moral high ground and be seen to be in the right that you will do anything to achieve that goal. That isn't good enough and when you grandstand on a thread of this nature it is something that needs to be brought into focus. You are not blameless in the issues of the forum (on the evidence of this thread at least), people in glass house etc...

Glazers Out!

Bullshit.

You quoted a post of mine where I commented three times that people looking to go back to a situation where questioning theories is banned would be stupid. You directly quoted me, then made reference to the fact that I used the word stupid. Who else was your post aimed at?

"Abstract" my hole.

°°°°°

I think there has been no uptake from the CT side because they are being asked to enter into an act of contrition and the skeptics repeatedly show that they are unwilling to either admit they have any scope for improvement in their own behavior or to treat them with even the smallest amount of respect.

Ultimately, you are in disagreement with a group of people and you are asking that they change but refusing to give any ground yourself. The course of this thread has displayed a contempt for these people that is so ingrained that it has resulted in a deadlock where nothing will change.

Any negotiation requires movement on both sides, right now you are suggesting they shoulder the weight of the improvements to the forum by themselves. Anyone looking in from the outside can see that the behaviour of skeptics is not optimal and it has been brought up on numerous occasions.

You need to meet them halfway and stop seeing this as a means of getting what you want but as a road map to improving the forum.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

You made a number of statements about the intelligence of other people and myself.

I was incredibly polite in how I dealt with you. You should give it a go sometime.

Glazers Out!

More sly digs, and you're the one who is incredibly polite?

I'll not be responding to you again.

°°°°°

Sly digs?

You openly stated that I was incapable of reading at a basic level as well as calling a group of people stupid.

I have been polite and respectful to someone who does not deserve to be treated with respect and that's somehow landing "sly digs"?

My reply to you last week was openly scathing, because your post deserved that. You engaged in that behavior and I defended myself and showed you to be a hypocrite. Beyond that my language and tone were respectful. I don't engage in that way unless provoked, and you provoked me. If you have a problem with that then look at how the situation deteriorated, I'll give you a clue, you were responsible.

And the standard of posting from skeptics is supposedly beyond reproach?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Lads am I reading the above right in that someone defended one of CS' incarnations from an accusation of Holocaust Denial?

I mean they have read his posts diminishing, denying and whatabouting it yeah? He if memory serves even went so far as using David Irving as a source?

You offered a solution of a template, one side/group/whatever is willing to try it, then other seems to have flatly rejected it. Yet you are criticising the "side" that is willing to try it.

You bring up "respect", indeed there are issues on both sides, there are mods on the forum for civil behaviour, cards are handed out. Yet with this you are again singling out one side for personally apportioned blame.

In fact a constant theme in your posts in here is you seem to have reserved most, if not all of your criticism, for "the skeptics". Okay, as an infrequent poster on that forum, these are your subjective personal opinions.

Am willing to try the template (I've filled it out myself with a conspiracy, didn't seem too much of an issue). Am willing to try better rules on civility, stronger mod rules to tone down the insults, etc. What other solutions are you proposing?

Ooh I remember the struggle we had getting Null to just accept CS was denying the holocaust the first time around. Took no small effort just to get the admission we did. But seems now he's gone back on it entirely.

°°°°°

We have had contributions to this thread from Beasty who has commented on the issue of the behavior of skeptics and it would indicate that there is room for improvement.

The reason I am focusing on the behavior of skeptics is because a lot of threads descend into a group of skeptics piling on to a CT believer making lists of demands. Part of the logic behind the template was to remove the scope for a lot of this type of posting.

What other solutions am I proposing? Beyond the only rational a workable solution presented in a thread with over a thousand posts? Easy, people being more civil with one another, and yes that means you as much as anyone else.

You asked why the CT side were so reticent to take up the template idea, I told you in plain language that it's down to the skeptics not being willing to change. You said the moderation was sufficient, evidently it is currently leaving a reasonable amount to be desired (hence this thread existing) and you are unwilling to give the other side any ground at all.

Until you begin to treat the CT people with a basic level of respect you can expect these issues to continue to be raised, you can't see people as "stupid" and in need of correction and nothing else. You wouldn't speak to them like that in person I'd assume, so why is it acceptable here?

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

I told that user that I didn't support holocaust denial on that thread but also argued with yourself and Dohnjoe to a point where we reached an understanding.

Like I said, I'm an occasional poster on that forum, I don't follow people's numerous accounts on the site etc...

It was a thread that displayed how skeptics pile onto people and it resulted in over twenty pages of the same question being asked, I jumped in without knowing everything that was going in and we got to the nub of the issue eventually. If anything it was a thread that could have benefitted from the template idea.

I would contend that if you feel a poster is a holocaust denier or pushing a hate filled agenda the correct course of action would be to report them and let the moderators deal with it.

Glazers Out!

Cool.

Why did you claim that I was falsely accusing him of being a holocaust denier a few posts ago?

Why did you claim that he was "talking about the other victims of the Nazis as being recognized as part of the holocaust" when this never happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You quoted a post and gave a long reply and completely ignored the substance of the post, that the issue of holocaust denial was a real one in the CT forum and not just just a skeptic deciding to "go big or go home". not very honest of you.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

My memory of the thread isn't optimal.

My reason for joining that thread was that at the point that I joined, that appeared to be the case.

I'd really have to go back and read it again to be 100% clear on it, but I have never claimed to be infallible, but I did subject the poster in question to my own questioning and distanced myself from holocaust denial all the way through it.

I was characterised as "defending a holocaust denier" on this thread and that isn't accurate either.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

And the piling begins.

I have addressed this already.

I wasn't 100% clear in my memory of the thread in question and I was unfairly and inaccurately described as "defending a holocaust denier" on this thread.

Glazers Out!

that is what you did. you jumped in feet first and lashed out because you didnt understand what was going on. What was that about "go big or go home"?

°°°°°

Go big or go home was mentioned because I've seen the label of holocaust denial being applied in other instances where it wasn't appropriate (in threads I didn't participate in) and was meant as a commentary on how labels and slurs get thrown around.

My contention is that anything of that nature should be dealt with my moderation and not groups of posters.

Glazers Out!

that still doesn't explain you jumping into threads and lashing out without an understanding of what is going on. You talk about standards in posting in relation to others but you need to take a look in the mirror.

So you were wrong and made a false accusation against me because this.

You then also claimed that a holocaust denier wasn't denying the holocaust, they were just "talking about the other victims of the Nazis as being recognized as part of the holocaust". This is a very specific claim that is completely at odds with reality. If this was by accident, then you accidentally defended a holocaust denier.

°°°°°

I jumped in, defended the poster in question and then questioned the poster in question and told them I didn't agree with them.

What else could I have done differently?

Glazers Out!

maybe perhaps don't defend holocaust deniers. Just a thought.

°°°°°

I'm light of the fact that I was labeled as defending a holocaust denier, when I told them in that thread that I didn't agree with them it would appear that more than one party is capable of getting hold of the wrong end of the stick.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement