Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

A link to what?

Munster were in pretty rocky financial shape pre-Covid, and then the lockdowns blew a hole in the wider IRFU budget.

The Aviva is a huge driver of the IRFU's income, and the Euro knockouts are a huge driver of the provinces income.

There is simply no way that Munster and the IRFU are going to hand over a big wedge of cash to the GAA to rent Pairc ui Chaoimh when they could keep that cash for themselves by playing it in the Aviva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Any recent knockout game that has had to be moved from a home ground has been moved to the Aviva. That goes for Leinster, Munster and Ulster.

Assuming that a Munster knockout game that cannot be played at Thomond Park would be moved to the Aviva is safe as houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Munster have only played sarries, scarlets once each and then that interpro v connacht. Its not really a lousy option and far better than Pairc Ui Chaoimh or any other option in Munster, which are all not going to happen.

Munster overwhelmingly play Leinster there and it wouldnt matter where they played them over the time the stadiums been open. it would have been a loss regardless. its the best option and better than any gaa stadium in munster which would be the alternative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yeah it's not like rugby was ever played in a GAA stadium before, or not like the IRFU was trying to co-host a major tournament with the GAA in 2023

Times have changed and we should embrace it

Yeah rugby was played out of necessity. And IRFU were trying to host a tournament with the GAA but that doesnt mean Munster should try play games in Pairc Ui Chaoimh over the Aviva. There is little to no good reason to use PuC over Aviva

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

You're deluded if you believe that if Thomond is unavailable for a possible home quarter final that it will be played anywhere but in the Aviva.

Cold hard financial realities means money will not be given to the GAA when it can stay with the IRFU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,480 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Hi guys, I ordered some West stand terrace tickets for this weekends match and then my uncle wanted to come but the tix were sold out, on the west terrace so I bought more on the east terrace so I have listed the West stand terrace tix for sale at cost on ticketmaster, 2 adults and 2 juniors in case anyone needs them, check the resale section of ticketmaster

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

And why was it played in a GAA stadium? Because Lansdowne was unavailable. That’s not the case here.

Times indeed have changed to a post-Covid financial reality. That’s the only reason the game won’t be played in a GAA stadium, nothing more.

Here’s a hypothetical; would you rather it was played in the Aviva and we retain DDA and Snyman after this season, or it was played in Pairc Ui Chaoimh and we lose them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

The start of this was missed by the cameras at the time.

It is quite the try

We have 6 forwards passing the ball in that sequence

Osborne took a big hit after his 2nd involvement ,lucky he landed ok

• Registered Users Posts: 11,810 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Hadn't seen anything about it before so apologies if posted already but see MRSC are putting on a bus for the Stormers match on Saturday in case anyone is interested. Assume it's from Cork. https://twitter.com/MRSC16/status/1442815778282250242?s=19

• Advertisement

It is from Cork. There was one run last week as well.

Hypothetically I would rather keep De Alende and Snyman, or players of similar caliber, although I don't think we'd lose them by having one match in Caoimh instead of Landsdowne,

How are you determining we would loose them exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭geotrig

Don't know if this was answered previously on the thread as only working my way through it now .I do remember before reading something from before possibly before he was even appointed in munster that he wasnt really regarded much in the SH much as a decent coach by any stretch and that was as backs and head coach iirc . who really knows though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭irelandrover

It cost about 1.3 million a match last time the irfu rented croke Park based on GAA figures.

So if even half of that is revenue the irfu would lost by having a game in Cork instead of the aviva then it's a few players yearly salaries covered by one match.

It's impossible to say you'd lose them but the increased funding from having a game in the aviva definitely increases the chances of keeping them.

I’m not saying we’d lose them specifically, just picked them as an example of how the loss of revenue would have a material impact.

€1.3 million would suggest just under €16 being added to every ticket on average, they could add more than that to the price of a ticket in Caoimh and fans would be saving money and money Vs going to Dublin for a game... Then nobody loses money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Well, there's also;

1. IRFU had to lay off a good number of people due to losses arising from the pandemic.
    2. Munster blamed budget constraints for the departures of Sweetnam and JJH.
    3. Even pre-Covid, Munster couldn't keep up their repayments on Thomond, then they had 18 months without a match or conference being held or lukewarm pint being sold. The balance sheet can't be looking great.

I'd be absolutely raging if IRFU flushed hundreds of grand down the jacks just because a couple of lads get a nosebleed when they go north of Moneygall. Luckily, I'm a rational person and realise it is never going to happen.

I disagree with your last line pretty comprehensively. Waterford, South Tipp, Cork and South Kerry are massive markets for soft support of Munster rugby. A big occasion in Cork could be a draw to a casual fan, who are the ones we need to convert. Sure the hardcore from those areas will happily go to the Aviva, but we shouldn't discount the day trippers value to building the brand (or growing the sport, if you prefer).

It's great Munster are back on RTE for much the same reason, we need to rebuild the hype and get casual fans back going to games.

Munster and IRFU earn far more from games in Aviva than they ever would in PuC. South Tipp is a big market for Munster but is also very close to Limerick so saying that is a reason to get people to cork isnt really true. Day trippers will still travel to Dublin. Are people forgetting Munsters travelling hoards going all across Europe to games. Famed for their travelling support and now theyre saying they wont travel to Dublin?

Munster will pay far more to have "home games" in Cork, paying out rent etc to GAA instead of IRFU through the Avivas rent.

I'm not forgetting the glory days at all, I want them back as much as anyone. However, imo, the soft support for Munster has been fading over the last few years. We need to re-energise that support and a big, novelty day out in PuC would be an easier sell than the Aviva.

I'm sure everyone here is a convert (hell some of ye apparently wear the jersey on non-match days) so you may not realise there's large parts of Munster who aren't exactly in love with this team, atm.

• Advertisement

Delivered with your patented Munster-stank, FFF, but I'd largely agree with the points being made.

Aren't your math's wrong here? €1.3m for a 45,000 capacity stadium would require €29 to be added to every ticket. You're probably doubling the price of the entry level tickets alone.

A Munster match in the Aviva would easily be a sell out. The 'novelty day out' people will go to the Aviva just a quickly as they'd go to PuC. Where the game is played is not the reason that support amongst casual supporters is down. That would be down to the lack of success and a bandwagon to jump on.

Don't think Munster are paying for them as far as I was aware it was private investment

Sure it'll sell out but it won't be a big occasion, there's a difference. A game in PuC would be all over the news in the build up, would get more publicity etc. I don't think what I'm saying is even that controversial. Munster have no issue getting support from the fans they have, how do they get back the fans they've lost and get new fans though is, for me, a bigger question than Munster are currently asking.

I don't think a game in PuC would solve the various issues Munster has either but a bit of novelty and excitement goes a long way to getting that bandwagon going.

No it doesn't. Being successful and winning trophies is what gets the bandwagon going. Munster haven't won one in a decade and haven't been in a European final in 13 years. Playing in PuC won't make any difference to that.

It would be a big occasion. Saying it wouldnt be in the Aviva is a complete lie. A game in PuC would be all over news but would all the extra costs with rent etc make it worth it. Hell no. Munster have a lot to do to get fans attending games like they did in late 00s, early 10s but playing a game in PuC isnt the way to do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I go back to my question about someone owning a pub near PuC.

It pops up occasionally about the dwindling fan-base / support and I often think it's overblown tbh. For example, this popped up just yesterday on Twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Battersea is full of Irish people. Not unusual to see GAA & rugby jerseys floating about there.

Advertisement