Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoping to pick up a series S soon, some really noob questions

• 24-09-2021 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I am hoping to pick up a Series S for myself as a birthday present to me in the next few weeks. I was originally going to get a series X, but can't justify the cost with the amount of time I'd have available for games. I have a PS4, and haven't touched an Xbox since the 360 my brother owned many many years ago. So I have some questions I'd appreciate feedback on if possible:

• I have heard from a friend that there might be a bundle deal for a series S + free Fifa, which would be alright. I haven't seen any other offers elsewhere - are we still at a point where there are no real offers and the price is the price? I do have my PS4 to trade-in, so that'll go some way towards the cost anyway...
    • The main reason (well apart from just wanting a change) I was looking at the Xbox is gamepass. I was trying to figure out from threads here, what sort of cost would I be looking at for the ultimate version. I saw people talking about getting it from Turkey, which is fine as a temporary workaround, so long as I don't need to be connected there the whole time.
    • On the topic of gamepass, I assume the ultimate version is the way to go? Am I also right in thinking that gamepass would mean you'd get the new Halo as part of it whenever they release it?
    • I was looking at some game prices on the xbox store, and didn't notice much by way of discounts. With the PS store, there's usually something on sale all the time, is this the case here too?
    • I would like to get a headset for the console too. When playing PS4, I usually use a cheap pair of Sony in-ears (by cheap I mean the ones you get in Argos for €15), so would like something better than that. We have a small person living in the house, so I need to be able to stay quiet.
    • Is there anything obvious I need to know before switching to Xbox ecosystem. I think the only thing I spotted is the need for either rechargeable batteries or a battery pack for the controllers, they don't charge themselves, right?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

"I have heard from a friend that there might be a bundle deal for a series S + free Fifa," - haven't heard of this, but quite likely there will be bundles especially coming up to Christmas, but I'd get one sooner than later as there will be shortages on a lot of things this Xmas.

You can get about 3 years of XBox Live Gold and convert this to Gamepass ultimate for about 120 quid. e.g. from CD Keys ... Check out the gamepass thread on here. And it's EU licenses. You don't need to goto Turkey or Brazil. You can and get it cheaper, but there might be issues with the license.

Yes - Gamepass Ultimate. Halo on that day one free. Also, loads of other stuff. Great bargain, especially since the Series S is all digital and you can't use physical games in it.

Xbox games on sale very often. Seems to be every other month. Maybe you just missed it. I have no knowledge of PS Store, so I can't compare. But I only buy games when they are on Sale for Xbox. The rest is Gamepass.

I plug some cheap earphones into the controller. You can get a brilliant wireless headset from MS for about 100 quid. Lots in between. No difference to PS4 I imagine.

Yep - I got a set of 8 rechargeable AA batteries and a charger that charges them in less than an hour. Controller takes 2, so I aways have some ready.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

First off scour your attic for any games or consoles as GameStop are doing trade ins for the Series S. Ask any family if they've old game stuff gathering dust in the attic(or get your kid to do it to pull on the heartstrings).

Little bit of work involved, but take part in the Xbox rewards program. Do all quests (open a few new games every week and get points etc). I've about €100 in points so far in 1 year, but that's doing ALL quests. Join us over on the Xbox Rewards thread.

I also joined Xbox ambassadors program which (if you click on most missions to view) you can get a month's free Ultimate every 3 months.

In saying all that I don't play many games so not sure if I'd miss GPU that much. My kids enjoy the odd games when they appear but I've zero space on the old One S to keep games on it.

Some other things to note if you're grinding for points.

Tesco vouchers can be converted to Xbox.

Board Gais will also give you Tesco points which in turn give Xbox cards.

Any one4all vouchers can be converted to Xbox cards. Quite a few people get these as mini bonuses from employment etc.

At some stage I'm going to turn all points in and go for the Series X.

I'd be tempted to settle for the S Series but there's a couple of games I have on CD that I don't want to be rebuying digitally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭recyclops

As treppen says the rewards program is surprisingly good especially if your able to trick it into thinking your in UK or US, (my work laptop is UK based so get the rewards online) I'm regularly getting 30 quid off new releases.

Storage may become an issue bit if you don't mind deleting and redownloading game you'll be fine.

If any family member has an xbox look into game sharing as it splits all new games costs and future game purchases in half, you can clean up on the sales that way. Xbox sales tend to be quite cyclical and mirror the PS sales. The black Friday sale is always good abd coupled with rewards points its even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Gamepass ultimate includes xbox live, right? You don't have to pay extra for online gaming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭recyclops

It does indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cdemess

I went down the GameStop trade in route. In a year or two I see them doing a similar deal with the Series X (when there’s no issue of availability). I’ll most probably use the S as a trade in to upgrade to an X

The Series S is great compact console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Is gamestop the only place to trade in against new stock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

Ya they have an official contract from Microsoft....

Hence why I bought GameStop shares last Christmas 😁

Advertisement