Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Dozer1

There was well over a hundred lots of heifers there yesterday and always a good blend of different ages of continental cattle there. I don't like that you can't see the sellers name when bidding online. As it turns out the cattle I bought were from only over the road. Often the ones I've bought there have been west cork cattle and have done fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

U get more cork and Limerick cattle there rather than local cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Niallers87

Do you mind me asking how you got on with him and what breed was he? We have one here who got cranky this year so he's for the road in a couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

He made € 1520 but he was a home bred U type black limousin. Over 30 months but under 3 years. I'll throw up other prices I took down, when I get back to the the house.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Red lim purebred 955 kg € 1720.

765kg Jersey cross type if I remember right. € 1160.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I see this sale is on on Friday https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/152-heifers-from-1-farm/29309543?campaign=3

Is there any thoughts on these, this is the third year of it so I am guessing there is a good few cows from it on the ground by now.

I was talking to people who bought them last year around the time of the sale and the one thing they were all impressed with was how quite the animals were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

They are serious looking heifirs.....are they all homebred or bought up in marts?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

I think they’re all home bred, they have 500 cows and heifers calving every year and they synchronise 150 of them to sexed semen to increase the number of heifer calves born. They do a lot of Ai and have their own stock bulls also.

I think they’re selling the bull weanlings in Ballybay in a few weeks.

Hi Western Promise yes as Tanko has said they are all home bred, with seemly a lot of thought and planning gone into selecting the right bulls for the right cows, will be interesting see how it goes on LSL Friday night.

for those of us in the southern half of the country these looks like a nice herd

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/suckler-clearance-sale-saturday-2nd-oct/29280529?campaign=3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You would be hoping with the high beef prices that finishers would buy most of them and they would all be on a plate early next year

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

It's early in the season for buying springers especially spring calver's, a lot of lad's would be depending on having weanlings/culls sold and sub in pocket before purchasing replacements. As for the heifers the strongest of them probably won't be bulled before Xmas and the rest until next summer.

Having said that anything with breeding potential is a strong trade atm backed by the demand for beef cattle. From now on you'll see the majority of the incalf heifer sales commencing and all the signs point towards a buoyant trade for quality springers. Anyone selling good quality cattle of all ages is getting on well atm and there well fit to pass this increase on to there replacements. The same is true of men buying bulling heifers and selling springers. Hopefully the decent store trade should mop up the lesser quality ones and get them out of the system as beef heifers as opposed to them being bought for bulling.

There seems to be an unsustainable market for any nicely marked heifer for suckling this last few years, I have seen heifers make anything from €4 - €6 a kg, it takes a good cow with milk to rear a calf but the markings on her hide wouldn't make a difference.

These sales take on a life of there own alot of times, I'd agree with comments though that the more of these that are bought for beef the better.

Looking at some of the sucklers sold locally in the marts appear very average, or else they are 4 years old calving for the first time which doesn't do anyone any favours

The seller's name seems to mean a lot at the higher profile sales. There's a kind of snobbery with some lad's that unless they were bought off certain seller's that there not the real deal.

As for producing middling springers there a waste of time imo. You'll often see poorer type AAx, HEx ect springers and they'd make more money in the store heifer ring with no calf in them. It's the same with average or agey suckler teams. There split shortly after purchase with the cow going for feeding/slaughter and the calf going into the runner ring in another mart. On you're point about some heifers coming upto there 4th birthday without producing anything it's amazing how even a below average animal will look at that stage. After 4 years of only having themselves to cater for and there growth over them even a half screw of a thing will start to look middling especially in the autumn time after the summer's grazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

That sale of sucklers in cork is off the best ground in cork. There's no lad in West cork going to buy them. They've literally never seen a rock or furs bush in their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

That reminds me of a fellow who had lots of land, that never saw a shake of fertiliser ever, ground as bare as the floor. He went to the mart and brought home some fine CH cattle. A neighbour remarked, the cattle are sat down over there now, suffering from shock.

Local knowledge is always imperative in those situations and you'd like to bring stock from poorer to better ground instead of vice versa. It would be a fair culture shock for a cow that was used of good ground and grass to be put foraging through the rushes on a windswept hill.

There was a sale of calved and springer heifers at work yesterday and I was very tempted by a blood red LM heifer and her month old orange bull calf. She made €2360 but they were a grand team imo, she'll never be a monster of a cow but had power and a nice bag of milk. I'd no real need or place for them and they'd require lots of care and meal over winter. As above they were coming off some of the best land in the county and would only ever have seen sprat rushes, whins and alder trees growing on the mountains in the distance.

On a kind of related note an uncle of my father's who died before my time married a Cork woman who came as a dairy maid to the local creamery in the 1950's. Immediately after her arrival in the springtime she was staying with a local family while getting settled in.

After a few days she seemingly remarked that she was always led to believe that the land in the West was of poor quality and broadly unsuitable for tillage. However from what she had seen locally there looked to be fine crops of some green cereal thriving in most of the surrounding fields. That was her first encounter with fields of green rushes that had recently been cut off the meadows and pasture land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Anyone think that the situation regarding price and availability of manure for next year will affect cattle prices or do lads think that far ahead?

We typically sell off year and a half bullocks and heifers around this time of year and buy back weanling to add to our own home bred. We've plenty of feed for the winter, but no point in being fully stocked next year if fert prices are through the roof...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭893bet

Gas supply will increase. Price will drop. And then fert supply will normalise at a higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

From all these clearance sales there’s allot of big dairy herds coming on stream

There’ll be a flood of calves next year so

There actually talking about that over on the dairy chit chat thread at the moment.

Would a former beef farmer that converted to dairying be more conscious of producing a dairy cross animal with decent beef potential? You'd hardly go from running a decent herd of continentals to milking X bred grass rats overnight. My thinking being that if you were used to getting the most possible for you're beef weanlings and culls then it wouldn't sit right giving away suck calves and selling cull cows for pittance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Dairy calf numbers for the last two years are going up by 50-60K/year and its a similar projection for next year

Slava Ukrainii

You would think so, but they are following the teagasc gospel that xbreds are the only show in town. Know a guy used to breed prizes winning cattle, seen the calves he was selling this year, all Aubrac out of xbreds, runts he got €5 - €10 each, you would know they were all badly done from the start.. I said it to him & he gave me the breakdown on how much it was costing to feed the cows milk to the calves until they could be sold at 10 days. Some lads are that blinded by the sums they can't see anything else.

Around here I am starting to hear of lads looking to go dairying but none of the processers are willing to take them on as they are already over supplied.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It will, but it will still take most of next year to change to normal.

This time next year should see a change back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭Grueller

Sold a few cattle

Heifers

482kg €1700

412 €1220

338 €1260

456 €1780

382 €1460

418 €1000

398 €840

412 €1000