Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭floorpie

That hypothetical scenario isn't happening. But that aside, the reason that the approach doesn't work (and is not working) is because the vaccine doesn't confer immunity to infection by the virus. If the hypothetical happened, then lockdowns, distancing, sanitation and masks continue to be effective measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I presumed that's what you were building back to, luckily no one believes that lie anymore :) Your entire argument is predicated on a lie, thus it all collapses on itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭floorpie

The fact that SARS-COV2 vaccines both reduce transmission and infection rates among all age groups and regardless of underlying conditions thus should be administered to everyone so we can get back to normality.

In non-loopy world, looks like the US will accept the Oxford vaccine for travelers, as pretty much everyone expected:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Hi there everybody, just a quick one re: vaccine for kids. Our oldest just turned 12 so thinking about getting her vaccinated. What side effect did your kids get? Is it just the usual ones? sore arm, fatigue, fever? We are pro vaccines, but not sure if we should go ahead or wait a little longer for more data. There are no older or vulnerable people in a family or neighbourhood. Thanks

Extra sleepy the next day and arm a bit sore, I would skip any after school sports the day after, no effects at all past day 1 (0 being injection day).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I've 2 in this category including a 12 year old.

The youngest had a high temp after both doses and was very tired after the 2nd. A spoonful of calpol and a day in front of the ps5 on both occasions and he was grand.

The older child didn't have any side effects after the 1st and was just very tired and running a temperature after the 2nd.

After the 2nd night's sleep they were back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

From what I've read, 12 year old girls have no risk of serious side effects (whereas 12 year old boys have an incredibly small risk of carditis).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ireland has the highest percentage uptake of full vaccination among adults over 18 years of age in the EU, according to the European Centre for Disease Control, just ahead of Malta and Denmark.

Over 90% of people aged 16 years and older are now fully vaccinated and 86.8% of those aged 12 years and older have been fully vaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The llamas are back! It's been a while since there was any news on this front.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 3mom4

Our youngest is 12 years old. He had his second shot two weeks ago. After the first one, he just had a sore arm. After the second one, the arm was sorer, he was tired and had a slight fever for a few hours. This only lasted about a day and a half and he has been fine with no problems since. Pretty much the same side effects as adults get.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Thanks everybody, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

I'm trying to decide if I should make sure my teen has at least 4 weeks gap between doses. I'm aware of the 17 days & 3 weeks recommendation, but this got me confused again:

They said on Newstalk that the 3 weeks gap between doses might have been too short and that contributed to Israel's issues:

Have you had a second appointment date yet? Mine both came in for 25 days after the first dose. I can't be bothered to kick it out another few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

No, I haven't. I used the walk-in option and I'm planning to do so again. So will set the timing myself in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Third dose for immunocompromised to begin next week - HSE

The Health Service Executive has said that a third dose of Covid-19 vaccine for those who are immunocompromised will get under way from next week.

People will begin to be notified of their appointments from Wednesday and the administration of the third dose of the vaccine will begin on Friday.

<snip - copyrighted information - short extract plus link allowed>

Source: https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0924/1248704-covid-ireland/

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Kilkenny36

Just looking at the county vaccine statistics. I seen waterford had the highest uptake. I was just wondering how this is calculated? Waterford has a vaccination rate of over 99% but I know a LOT of people in Waterford who are unvaccinated. I was wondering if they are keeping a database or just comparing the number of vaccines administered in Waterford vs CSO figures for the population of Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Over the weekend, we got to 90% of the population over-12 with at least one dose. Which means that the fully vaccinated rate for over-12s will hit 90% in 3-4 weeks.

Considering that for many countries their target is 90% of adults fully vaccinated, it's a pretty amazing achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Not been here in a while. Hello gang, hope all of you are well :)

Manager in work got COVID a month ago while waiting for his second jab. He's grand now, just has no taste or smell. I gave him some extremely strong mints the other day and they didn't even phase him, while the rest of us that tried them were running for water hahahaaha

• Advertisement

I had figured the mythical herd immunity was impossible with Delta but looking at Portugal and Malta who are both at over 83% vaccinated and cases have plummeted in both (test positivity in both is around 1.7%). Portugal is dropping all restrictions soon and as autumn and winter lands we'll learn more but there does at least seem to be correlative evidence that the vaccines are reducing spread by more than had been hoped/estimated.

Another mildly interesting stat is that in the last week we've administered 13k first doses and had 9k confirmed cases. Given that confirmed cases is surely a significant under-estimate of infections, this means we're probably now gaining new immunity faster through infection than vaccination (ignoring the 100k second doses).

Has anyone seen any recent SEIR modelling for mostly-vaccinated populations? Our demographics might see us trapped in a R=~1.0 situation where the rate of infection isn't low enough to fully suppress community transmission, but not high enough to induce herd immunity. I'm not sure whether this would be a problem to be solved by a <12 vaccination campaign or just something to be worked around by the immunosuppressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,544 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

France's Sanofi stops work on mRNA Covid vaccine...

The company said it will use the mRNA technology for vaccines against other pathogens,

https://www.thejournal.ie/mrna-vaccine-stop-sanofi-5559766-Sep2021/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^

Says a lot about where Sanofi see the course of this thing going. If they believed that boosters and new variants, etc, were going to be a feature for years to come, they would probably continue developing their vaccine.

This suggests that Sanofi believe that the future market for Covid vaccines is sufficiently limited that they will never recoup the costs of completing the trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

So, Ireland, according to Bloomberg is No. 1 in the world in their Covid Resilence Ranking. It started at No. 40.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-resilience-ranking/

Interesting that 8 of the top 10 countries are European (EU + Switz & Norway). Canada & UAE are also in top 10. New Zealand is now No. 38.

They also used the same unmodified mRNA as Curevac. Given the results there they likely considered the high chance the final outcome would be less than stellar.

They aren't out of the game just yet though. They still have Recombinant Protein vaccine (similar to Novavax) in Phase 3 at the moment with results possibly next Spring/Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭political analyst

I thought that vaccines in general were supposed to prevent the transmission of viruses as well as the diseases caused by the viruses. So why are the vaccines not preventing transmission of coronavirus, no matter what strain of the virus is dominant?

Vaccines reduce transmission, infection and severity of disease significantly.

They prevent nothing, it's still the persons immune system which has to do the work, the vaccines just give it a much better chance at doing so.

Respiratory viruses have evolved to first infect the upper respiratory tract where defences are a bit lower naturally. This is because if the immune system reacted to every potential pathogen encountered in the upper airway as it would in the blood for example, everyone would suffer chronic hay fever. Because the immune system reacts more slowly in the upper respiratory tract the virus can get a chance to start reproducing prior to the immune system responding. Because of this some people vaccinated can spread without knowing they have it. Some can get mild illness, and some with compromised immune system can become more seriously ill. A vaccines effectiveness is 100% dependent on an imperfect human immune system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Advertisement