Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH I think the Eurogamer approach to a subscription model is about as good a compromise as any. Very similar to the Guardian approach, although with a very small amount of subscriber only content (the editor mentions it’ll likely be 1-2 articles a week, one of which seems to be an ‘off topic’ sort of deal). Not a fan of the two tiers though - one simple ‘fiver for everything’ deal seems like the fairer way to do it.

As an aside: I’d disagree entirely that a review can be the wrong kind of ‘subjective’. A review by its very nature is an opinion and critical response to a work - as long as it at least engages with the work being reviewed at some core capacity, the final written piece can be whatever the hell the writer wants it to be as far as I’m concerned.

There is no shortage of standard, consumer-focused video game reviews out there - indeed, some popular YouTubers overly present their conclusions as an answer to ‘should you buy it?’. There’s an absolute abundance of that type of review of anyone who simply wants to know the answer to that simple question. The more analytic or personalised responses are few and far between in comparison, so I only applaud the outlets that let writers do their thing, whatever direction that might take them. Alas a reality of the modern media is that writers rarely get assigned to robustly revisit or critique games beyond the review (some outlets and YouTubers do, of course, but it’s relatively rare especially with so many games vying for attention on embargo day), so really that main review gig should be an opportunity to see something unique and insightful from an distinct perspective.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

First closing the forum, then pivoting to a subscription model? That's a big swerve from EuroGamer; was there a buyout or recent change of ownership?

I don't begrudge anyone's desire to make money, but those two decisions look set to lose a lot of community and goodwill from its previous readership.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

It's a fairly arbitrary list, plenty of better games weren't included. Which shows that it's just a popularity contest. You're really reaching if you think making such a list is an indicator of quality.

But even in the popularity contest, where Skyrim would have been of the favourites due to it's sales figures, it didn't even get to the quarter finals. As I said, that indicates that it isn't that highly thought of by the millions of people that played it.

Now, moving on, I'm trying to decide on which is worse, Skyrim or Deathloop 🤣

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

IGN if they had any morals at all would hand over the IP addresses of every person that voted for Apex Legends over Super Metroid so they could be added to a FBI/Interpol watchlist.

Sociopathic maniacs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There was a user in the TV forum a few years ago; he'd start these random "which is the better show" polls, picking sometimes unrelated series that were real chalk & cheese situations. To be fair the guy was enthusiastic and obviously trying to engage in discussion, but the picks felt so arbitrary at times, it seems redundant to pit the shows against each other. There was no commonality to thread an argument for or against.

This IGN poll feels equally bizarre: Burnout 3 vs. Chrono Trigger? Starcraft vs. God Of War??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s their owner ReedPop more than likely, who are sadly little better than most corporate owners. The optics of it coming so close to the forums closing aint great, and I’m sure the editorial team would be the first to admit that.

That said, I wouldn’t quite call it a pivot - the vast majority of the core content is unaffected by this, and even the podcast will just go up a bit later for everyone who isn’t subscribing. I find it hard to begrudge any outlet or creator going for some sort of subscription model given declining ad revenue - the Patreon model of ‘vast majority of content free to access, bonuses for subscribers’ seems to work well for lots of creators.

Better to have multiple revenue options rather than just quadruple down on ads. Kotaku is nigh on unbearable these days with the sheer volume of ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It's a pity Ace Combat 7 and Days Gone didn't make the list so we could finally find out officially from our IGN reader overlords which is the better game.

Actually, speaking of the best game ever, Outer Wilds is currently 40% off across the platform's and the DLC Echoes of the Eye Released 1 minute ago for 15 euro. Enjoy yourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Obviously lol, it's Days Gone. It's totally laughable that you would somehow logic it so that it's Ace Combat. That's totally wrong logic lol. Take the L and M, N, O because you're full of P. Lolololol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I'm going to have to try this again because I gave it a go and it really didn't do a lot for me. I had just come off Obra Dinn I think, which still ranks as one of the best gaming experiences ever imo, and Outer Wilds just didn't wow me as much. I think I'll start it up again this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Zero, did you ever try playing Ace Combat 7 son?

His username is zero cool and not something actually cool like maverick, Iceman or goose. He isn't game enough for ace combat 7

I tried by getting ps now but the time i subbed, it was removed. AC had its chance with me and blew it. Will wait for PS Plus. Also, could Goose or Maverick hack tv stations and go around rollerblading with Angelina Jolie? No? I rest my case.

Post edited by Zero-Cool on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

I wasn't complaining that the review of It Takes Two discusses the theme of divorce, nor did I say that disinterests me, I was talking about how the reviewer actually described it. This is an exact quote:

People divorce and families move on. It's a normal part of life and shouldn't be construed as anything but. Are children supposed to play this and believe their parents could have rescued their relationship? Are divorced parents supposed to play it and feel bad? It's a dangerous idea to play with and I wish It Takes Two hadn't.

It felt very much like the reviewer was projecting their own divorce or something and got offended at the very idea that other couples might find a way to work through their difficulties, and essentially gave the whole game a negative review entirely because of that.

Which is an example of the way a lot of eurogamer reviews seem to go lately, by all means people can have different opinions about games and reviews are subjective, but EG seem to go way off topic and give games positive / negative reviews entirely on specific things they get hung up on that have almost nothing to do with the quality of the game in question, I've noticed it more and more with them recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

If I sent you a physical copy of the game, would you play it? You can give it a try and if you don't like it, well you could sell it on.

Ha, I appreciate the offer but i have a backlog of games to get through at the moment and that's not including Alan Wake & Far Cry next week. AC would just be sitting on the shelf and I'd feel bad.

One day I will play it, when the time is right and I'll probably think 'hmmm this game is alright, but it's no Days Gone'.

I think you'll be saying I owe retr0gamer and apology.

Eurogamer gave the Outer Wilds expansion an Essential, which seems like the perfect confluence of several talking points in this thread today :p https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-09-28-outer-wilds-echoes-of-the-eye-review-a-wondrous-spooky-addition-to-the-solar-system

I've played an hour or so of the DLC, and it's so far only cemented my view of this game being the absolute best of the best.

• Advertisement

Didn't read past the first paragraph, that's all i need to know.

"Discovery and realisation are the two great thrills of Outer Wilds, so let me dust off an old reviewer's cliche and say that if you loved that game you should stop reading and play Echoes of the Eye without further ado. Nothing I can write will be as compelling as unravelling this first and only expansion for yourself."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

Guess it's time to attempt to get into the outer wilds again.

Maybe if I sit with my wife she will get entertained enough to push me on, it's happened before and it was her who got me to turn off deathloop as Cole annoyed her so that'll be a late night game

** so it's gone off game pass, well that's the end of that**

Can’t believe there’s enough time loop games this year to make an entire top five list 😆

(provisional list, with very little quality difference between 2-4 tbh)

1. Outer Wilds Echoes of the Eye (early days but it’s more bloody Outer Wilds)
    2. Returnal
    3. The Forgotten City
    4. Deathloop
    5. Rewatching Palm Springs or Groundhog Day while playing a time waster game on your phone
    6. Twelve Minutes

I'm looking forward to getting around to The Forgotten City in a couple of months. Also Palm Springs is **** class, loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Advertisement