Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Just throwing this out there. I think Conor O'Shea should be given a chance at midfield for Mayo. He's has played consistently well for Breaffy over the years, yet any time I see him play for Mayo, he is thrown into the half forward line. Completely different roles. It was different when we had an abundance of big midfielders to choose from - 2 x O'Sheas, Vaughan, Jason Gibbons, Barry Moran etc. But now we don't. I don't mean to pick on Conor Loftus, but I don't think he is cut out for a midfield role at the top level. Very good forward player on his day alright, but lacks pace and a bit of aggression in the modern game to nail down a forward role. I think if Conor O'Shea was in the middle, with a little more space that a midfielder generally gets that a forward doesn't, he would have more of an influential role. I know it's not our complete saving grace, but every little helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Was at the Knockmore match at the weekend, we won handier than I had expected to tbh. The first 15 mins were close enough but Aughamore kicked 3-4 bads wides which would have kept them in it. Knockmore dominated the 2nd quarter, won everything at midfield for 10-15 mins and should have been further ahead than the 9 points they were at HT. The 2nd half was scrappy enough, Knockmore dropped off quite a bit and Aughamore came back into it but never really threatened to get the goal they needed and it was Knockmore who should have had another 2-3 goals on the break. For Knockmore, I though Pearse Ruttledge was very good, got a nice few scores and picked up some a lot of breaking ball. Kieran King was another one who did very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭MacDanger

No, he played - got a couple of scores and had some nice link play. I believe he had a broken rib in the lead up to the AI which is why he wasn't on the 26

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I am fully aware of the "management" structure or lack of in 50/51 and I was fairly sure someone would come back with a response such as yours.

Since the modern management structures came into being, starting with the likes of Heffernan and O'Dwyer, we have never had a manager with tactical awareness on AI final day - that is borne out by the 13 finals we've been unable to win.

Its straightforward, a manager with the ability to come up with a plan and follow it through to victory and Horan is p*ss poor at that, even you have to agree with that.

Sadly there are still some people who think Horan will some day come good on AI final day, or that its ok to keep losing finals.

And I know which camp you're in, the keep him on camp and hope for the best.

Reaching AI finals is no longer success, the bar has or should have been raised. If you consider reaching finals success, then don't be surprised if we keep losing.

Definition of insanity and all that.

He's an average footballer at best. He came on against Dublin, gave the ball away twice in quick succession, which if the Dubs weren't so poor, could have cost us the game. Got a bit lucky forcing the 45, but that was about it. Any time I've seen him in the past, he's been average and certainly not in the same league as SOS or Parsons both of who are a big loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭HBC08

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

Do you really think Rochford has no "tactical awareness"???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

agreed. seems like the type player that is... a big man for a small game 🤣

• Advertisement

Tactically the best of a bad bunch. Came very close but unfortunately made one crucial selection mistake in 2016. Much better than Horan though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

But he made that change based on tactical awareness. It didn't work out for much the same reason we conceded two goals this year. But isn't that what you'd want from a manager to have the guts to make those decisions! Alan Dillon marking Colm Cavanagh, AOS marking Donaghy both worked out really well. Or does a manager have to actually win an AI final to be classed as tactically aware?

As a fellow clubman, I would say no. Some players don't make the step up and Conor hasn't done anything to suggest a starting midfield spot for Mayo.

Rochford got the best out of him as a substitute "middle third" runner imo.

There are plenty of examples of players who have shone at club level but not at county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Look he works hard and that is admirable but he is not IC level for me. I find his playing decisions all over the place at times

Also agree, he tried and it didn't work out, time to move on

Do you ever think one team just has better payers and no matter who is the coach it wont make a difference.

In none of the 11 all irelands we lost have we had the stronger starting 15 or panel. The main difference in the closest of those being the absence of a group of composed forwards under pressure. This is down to the way young footballers are developed where the emphasis is on getting talented young footballers in possession out the field as much as possible, with the consequence that our best players tend to have limited experience shooting under pressure. We are a county that tried to turn Andy Moran into a wing back FFS. Even the new bright lights, Tommy C and ROD are more comfortable coming from deep than up top.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Fanofconnacht

Ballintubber yes the most successful senior team this last decade but no Club AI yet. Historically Senior Club Giants are Ballina, Castlebar, followed by Knockmore, Crossmolina and Garrymore. Breaffy and Westport don't feature not recently and not historically.

It says some thing that Breaffy had 3 players on Team AI day but County Champions Knockmore had only 1. Interesting to see Anthony Hennigan of Western People putting the boot into JH and AOS. When the local media who are normally all sweetness and light and as hard hitting as a daisy do this there is definitely a problem. (You can see article on western people website)

Hopefully a new manager will recognise Fergal Bolands worth next year and will need to find one less forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

Couldnt think of his name, but Fergal boland had some great games. what ever became of him? too small?

• Advertisement

I don't think that Manager needs to necessarily have this skill but if he does not, he needs to find somebody who does have it, get him on his team and listen to him when the battle is in progress.

He is still on the panel, but not making it through to the match day 26!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Conor Diskin needs to be brought back in. Not sure what happened previously but the lad is flying at the moment. Let's hope Horan brings him back. Boland 100% could have offered something, he is always good for a point and every time he togged he performed. Fionn McDonagh another man surplus to requirements despite being in the overall squad, scored 3 points from play at the weekend, from midfield. There are a number of players around the fringes of the Mayo squad who should surely have seen more game time, especially when ya consider how he parachuted Aidan Orme in out of no where for the final. Madness IMO and nothing against the lad at all as Im sure he has a big future ahead

There has always been great forwards in Mayo who were constantly overlooked...according to the narrative people told themselves anyway. Can never be that our best just weren't good enough. Hopefully Fergal Boland does deliver, but it is not as if he has never been given a chance.

On the clubs - Breaffy and Westport have come towards the top due to population shifts, and even Ballintubber to an extent. And club All Ireland's are not a predictor of Inter County success.

Also, its entirely impossible for one team to have more inter country level players even if the overall strength of the other is higher. And of course while Knockmore were running away with the county title, Breaffy were struggling in junior B. Its not as if there was only a score between them in the final.

I don't think its just population shifts, I think the people in the clubs deserve more credit than that. Yes the population in westport has increased but they have done fantastic work there to get GAA to be the biggest sport in the town now. Westport was always a rugby town from what i remember!

Just thinking back on the final, we've a number of half backs and defenders who are also really sweet strikers of the ball and also with the guts to take on shots. Maybe its time to consider moving at least one of them to the forwards long term. We're producing great defenders, but we're badly lacking in scoring forwards.

Coming through and shooting from open space from 35 meters is an entirely different skill set to winning the ball with your back to goal and turning and shooting in half a yard. These skills should be developed from 12 to 20 and not at 25 on a whim and a prayer

I think Westport would have been described as more of a soccer town more than anything. Soccer is still very strong and Westport United have also done serious work in the community. Lee's brother Phil opting for soccer is a good example of where the town is at the moment, there's enough of a population and enough good people involved to compete on both fronts tbh. You can certainly see a huge effort has gone in on the GAA front over the last decade or so and they're seeing the rewards now.

As for Breaffy, the increase in population has certainly helped. The national school (approx 430 kids) is one of, if not, the biggest in the County afaik. A small minority of those kids would play for Mitchells which is a weird dynamic it must be said. Fado fado we would struggle to get 15 players over the 2 years for an underage team. I help out with the underage now and there are about 60 kids between U5, U6 and U7. Numbers have certainly helped in our case.

• Advertisement

Ballyheane NS not within the catchment also?

Back in the day, it was regarded as shameful in the environs of Balla, Ballintubber, Parke, Islandeady etc to lose to a Breaffy team at underage

I don't mean to take away from the good work done with other sports,all the new rugby and soccer pitches in Westport are testament to that! The population has definitely helped though.

Breaffy is only a village after all so the population increase probably had a bigger effect there than Westport!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

An increase in population will definitely help but I think in Westports case it is a case of them really getting their act together in the club as being the main factor. While Westport's population has risen, it's been a relatively small rise compared to the relative explosion you might have seen in clubs like Breaffy, Parke etc.

Westport's population fell by 0.72% per year 2002-2006 and increased 1.43% per year between 2006-2011 for example.

I think it would be fair to say that Westport was a sleeping giant in terms of GAA for a long time. You could put it a harsher way and say that they didn't make the most of their population for many decades... but are doing so now.

So basically Westport are the Dublin of Mayo GAA......😀. There must be a correlation with the blue!!!!!

Ballintubber are the Tyrone of Mayo GAA - no long term history of success but one of the top dogs of the 21st century. Mitchels - Dublin, Ballina - Kerry, Knockmore would be Cork, Crossmolina - Galway obviously, and Mayo would be a Claremorris / Breaffy hybrid ( Success is in ancient history / getting consistently to the final hurdle but cant get across the line). Westport are Kildare - recent underage success, one outstanding player, but nothing done at the top level.

And to really force the comparison -

Garrymore - Offaly

Hollymount - Meath

Ballycastle - Cavan

Lackan - Louth

Balla - Roscommon 😋

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,738 ✭✭✭Cartman78

My knowledge of the local club game has diminished over the years but Balla have been very hard done by there

Very good!

I'd go a bit further out the road and say Mayo Gaels are the Rossies. Balla would be my Sligo, with a confidence that is hard to fathom at times 😜

(I'll pray my anonymity is safe)

Dublin doesn't have the same levels of funding though! Vote Ring no.1

Was intentional bait for a couple of lads I know who at least lurk here. Good shout on Sligo. Their greatest ever player has lived there for over 30 years and more recently Alan Costello also defected there. The Gaels are definitely the rossies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,480 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

My in-laws are from Irishtown, very disappointed with Saturday evening. I was up there Sunday, Noel Connelly is the Claremorris manager, the ref brought his own linesmen, one of them Connelly’s brother. The last free Davitts got the linesman brought it back five yards and out of Ronan Mc’s range.

Whatever about the rights or wrongs of the decision the optics are awful.

On Conor Diskin, meant to be flying but anytime I’ve ever seen him in real life he never shuts the f**k up, at the ref, at his own teammates, at the opposition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭boosabum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,480 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Sorry, Ray

Like this but you are being a bit mean to Knockmore calling them Cork (2nd only to Mayo in final loss leaderboard). I think they are more Meath who dig out final wins when they seem like like they are second best.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Deserved win for Westport yesterday.

Usual suspects were to the fore.

Keegan was imperious,quasi conductor orchestrating all.

Paddy with a couple of lovely scores,a beauty with the ciotog in the first half and another fine score from a crazy angle in the second half.

Fionn impressed in the middle of the park,really hope he can push on for the seniors.His progress stalled post his breakthrough year in 2018.

He has all the attributes to contribute in the half forward line/midfield.Physique,aerial ability,stamina and as we know from past ventures an accurate ciotog.

A very elegant solo and deceptively pacy footballer.

Brickendon needs to show more going forward.

Paddy Heneghan kicked 2 nice scores before HT.

Hopefully he'll fulfill his underage potential.

Hard for Paul Walsh to make an impact post his late introduction.

I think it was a case of youth acing experience.

There has been an infusion of some youth in the Mitchels team but the majority of the team are a long time on the road.

Reliant on a midfield of Barry Moran and an ineffectual Donie Vaughan.

They struggled up front.

James Durcan,Colm Moran,Mark Moran did not effect the game to the degree they would have hoped for.

Quite the result for Belmullet V Knockmore.

Breaffy and Garrymore both qualified from Group 4, play each other next to see who tops the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Great win for Belmullet too. Conditions were atrocious in Tallagh particularly for the second half of the reports are accurate.

A draw vs Aghamore will be enough for them to qualify for the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭spakman

Liam Moffatt stepping down as county board chairman. What's going on now!?

Do you have a source for that?

I really hope thats not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭spakman

Just saw it confirmed elsewhere,He's not running for re-election.

• Advertisement
Advertisement