Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Mr321

Back to UK postage again here.

Received a small package this morning from a UK company.

Customs clearance from the sender marked it as a Gift and of zero value.

Parcel was hand written address etc and post office stamp. Same company I would buy from would always have printed address sticker and franked postage

This is probably a big difference in why I received it. It took 8 days from posted to arrive.

Granted all companies won't do this and can't due to size of goods etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

how are you not paying VAT at time of purchase from Aliexpress?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The same thing does not seem to be happening in other EU countries, only Ireland. So what are we doing differently?

So why not hire more people and charge an appropriate fee, rather then send items back? They can do it for Addresspal.

I'm sure most people would prefer to pay a fee and get their stuff, rather then have it sent back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Just for reference and I know it won't help many as your post is in the system but after reading this thread I had to send a family package from London to Ireland.

I used DPD, They did all the paperwork while I booked it in, gave me the 4 commercial invoices that I had to put on the item. (No VAT due as it was a gift/present) But they would of worked that out for you too.

Picked up Friday and delivered to the west coast of Ireland yesterday (Monday) So next day delivery. When I saw the alert that it was in customs my heart sank but it came out again in an hour.

So if you can ask your suppliers to use DPD. (recently I had issues with a website and they said next time put 'Please use DPD' in the special instructions box and they would use DPD.

• Advertisement

they charge 3.50 per parcel to manually process customs. If the parcel does not have the correct declaration they would lose money chasing it up with the sender. easier to send it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

I'm not sure how you know there are no problem in other countries.

An Post are the carrier for the high volume low value stuff where it makes sense to keep postal charges low hence ruling out DHL \ UPS etc. UPS \ DHL etc are the same company. An Post are expected to handle packages for multiple international postal services with different standards and prices.

In many cases there is no contact info on the label, just an address. The packages often don't indicate the value of the item either. Where should An Post go from here?

An Post are trying to implement customs rules imposed upon them. Internet shopping a sky rocketed since Covid. Then Brexit happened. An Post are understandably struggling to keep up.

They have to return package because they don't have space to store them indefinitely.

They struggle in the end to get reciprocal payments for the international postal services for the work they do handling their packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

An Post need to explain why people are not experiencing the same issues with their peers in other EU states and why various retailers are beginning to remove us as a shipping destination. No doubt they're experiencing difficulties like you've outlined but this needs to be communicated to the public and discussed by politicians. They're a key piece of logistical infrastructure from a trade perspective as well as playing a key role in people's day to day lives and this requires rapid examination. If their peers can cope and manage then we need to establish what they do and leverage from their solutions and practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

I'm not sure how you know there are no problem in other countries.

1. If the other 440 million people in the EU were having the same pro rata problems as us 5 million, you'd have heard about it.

2. My supplier said so, only Ireland, and they would supply to 88 times the amount of Irish customers in the rest of the EU.

In many cases there is no contact info on the label, just an address. 

I have a previous packet pre July 1st from the company. Every single field is correctly filled out on the C22. They still sent my next packet back.

I think they charge €3.50 if the automated system determines that customs/VAT is due. If they have to manually do it they should revert to the old system for €10, human to human contact, but that's not happening.

• Advertisement

You obviously haven't read this thread, or else have a vested interest in defending AnPost. And you can shove your passive aggressive 'talking rubbish' remark up your h**e. If you want to dish it out, be prepared to take it.

Many EU countries are experiencing customs delays due to new customs regulations. what is the issue in pointing that out?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Did you even bother to read that Royal Mail page? Italy, Netherlands and Portugal are experiencing delays whereas Ireland are the one with returns. So yeah, not the same.

Jesus if you're going to triumphantly quote something to dismiss people, at least read it first

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They are rejecting correctly filled out CN22 forms according to reports on this thread.

I guess you don't understand the difference between CN22 and CN23 either. What a coincidence.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Ireland:

We’re sorry for the disruption some customers are experiencing with some services to Ireland at the moment. This disruption is being caused by the implementation of new import controls which are resulting in the return of some items by the Irish Customs authorities.

Italy, Netherlands, Portugal:

Items posted to the Netherlands are experiencing customs delays as a result of changes to the EU’s VAT rules for items from non-EU destinations from 1st July.

Delays versus returns, significant difference.

And the other 23 member states of the customs union have nothing called out, so I guess they don't have significant problems.

As I said earlier, An Post are trying to implement customs rules imposed upon them.

Quote ".....which are resulting in the return of some items by the Irish Customs authorities."

Once again I'd emphasise multiple retailers, some quoted here and some on twitter, are stating they specifically will no longer export to Ireland due to the rejection of their packages. They've called out Ireland as the singular problematic jurisdiction. Retailers believe they are completing the requirements and the parcels are being returned with no clear feedback as to how to avoid it so they're just not bothering to deal with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Read the thread. They are not being returned by Irish Customs. An Post are returning the packages because of the lack of the electronic code required by An Post since 1st July, which appears to differ from the rest of the world according to many sellers (who have now stopped selling to Ireland as a consequence).

Everyone knows An Post have to comply with the new rules, but how anyone could justify how An Post are responding to this issue or the way they are communicating with people is baffling.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

MOD - Any more aggressive posting on here will result in bans. Things are bad enough without people kicking off here.

Also, there are a lot of new posters in here. Read the forum charter and other threads on Forum rules, particularly about evading charges. If your posts have disappeared, you know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mattie500

Exactly, I would be in the same boat.. order the item, pay the cost + the vat/duty and have it delivered. My point is that if some suppliers try to circumvent the process then it messes it up for everyone. The authorities will make it even more difficult. The EU supplier is the one with the competitive advantage so the authorities are not going to make it easy for the external guys. If they upped the charge to €20 for manual intervention then it would still be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

I don't know if you actually believe this or just parroting on An Post's behalf, but it is clearly wrong!

I have had THREE packages returned to the UK for "incorrect paperwork" "incorrect declaration" etc. When queried with An Post, the usual ignorant non-response was the only result. When queried with Customs, the longest response time was 20 hours, the fastest was 40 minutes. In all three cases, Customs informed me that NONE of these items had entered the Customs system and the decision to return was arbitrarily taken by An Post.

I had a look on the UPU site for some statistics.

Ireland receives more international parcels than France and three times more than Italy.

I'll dig around later but what are the odds our parcels come disproportionately from the UK and are now subject to greater scrutiny and no thresholds?

An Post seem to have adopted a zero tolerance approach, and I don't blame them if they are the most impacted by both Brexit and removing thresholds.

I would too if this was imposed on me by external decisions.

Who benefits from this approach though? What is the purpose of An Post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

The "Computer says no" approach will just lead to more and more sellers refusing to sell and ship to Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I just had 2nd demand for import VAT from AnPost (its legit and not a scam), for goods sent by SeeSense in NI, which is also where goods originated (I checked with See.Sense). The thing is AnPost delivered the items last week, a day after first VAT due notice. Again the mind boggles. Now you if they would just deliver or return my ebay uk item. Instead its on its way to its 17th sorting in Dublin mail centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

My Lucy and Yak order from the UK arrived from An Post using Deutsche Post if that's any help to anyone

Post edited by Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy on

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭labrik

I came home from work an hour ago to discover An Post had sent on the Customs Charge in my mailbox. Just paid it now £5.06 ( 1.56 vat+3.50 admin). I'll see what happens and keep you posted. T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

I had the same thing yesterday. Paid straight away and the tracking number isn't on the An Post website but is on the USPS one (it's coming from the States - almost a month now). I still haven't been refunded for one I paid customs duty on weeks ago but got returned to sender anyway. Hopefully we'll both get our post.

Advertisement