Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

We didn't sell out the Aviva for the horrorshow v the Scarlets. Playing the Aviva is not some grand event for Munster (not surprising since we are usually beaten out the gate there).

I get why you are pro the Aviva, but there is definite benefits to playing a big game in PuC.

We were successful with crowds long before we actually won the trophy, in part because fans felt a connection with the team.

Playing a big, big game in Dublin is great for the IRFU's finances but it's done sweet **** all to develop new fans in over a decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Playing the big games in Dublin aids our finances far more than a game in Cork would and a game in PuC wont develop new fans. Some may go on a one off basis but it wont get regular fans.

Wait what? Is your argument that people won't regularly attend games in Cork?

We have no sure idea whether it will develop new fans or not, it certainly can't be any less successful at developing new fans than moving big games out of the province has been. I think it would but i've no metric to measure it by, you think it won't but it's not like your opinion is backed up by reports etc.

I presume you at least now acknowledge not all games in the Aviva are big occasions, since we couldn't sell out the final we played there?

As an aside, I missed the posts with the actual rental figures for both the Aviva and PuC, bearing in mind some % of the Aviva figure goes to the FAI (via the stadium management company), does anyone have them to hand? Just how much does each one cost? What would JP (or Reggie from the Blackrock Road) need to pay to keep us out of the piss-stinking city of Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Sure, if the GAA charge the same for PuC as they did for croker... Not something I can see happening but even if it did happen fans would be saving on the cost of a trip to Dublin so that €29 doesn't look too bad

Plus you wouldn't be in Dublin!

Someone probably does own a pub near PUC, not necessarily anybody on this thread though... Wonder if anybody on here owns a pub near Lansdowne Road though

There's no point discussing the brass tacks of actual finances until we know the respective rents (I believe someone posted them earlier?) less the figure the FAI get for the Aviva.

It's all hanging on how much Reggie will get the Cork Captains of Industry to pay to get a big game in Cork atm.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Harvey and RS. Ye both need to accept that PUC is not going to happen anytime soon. The IRFU, in these stretched financial times, are not going to give a red cent to the GAA, especially when it means losing out on money for themselves. It doesn't matter if ye like that or not, ye need to accept it and move on. Its getting boring at this stage having the same argument over and over again every few weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

We’ll, if we’re back to things we can’t see happening….. ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks for modding the thread, really super work!

If you'd read my earlier comments i agree fully this game will be moved to the Aviva, I'm broadening the discussion as to whether there are other benefits to playing big games in Cork. You don't think there are and that's fine, but don't come in here and tell me what I can and can't discuss, thanks all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

This could be of huge benefit to Munster. They would play the Bulls and Lions in Italy instead of SA. A neutral venue, not at altitude and less travel.

The thing is that Ireland (or Italy for that matter) doesn't have travel restrictions from SA. Now maybe the league will just say move everything, but there are currently no restrictions on Munster and Zebre travelling.

There's also the fact that the Premier League and FIFA have agreed a compromise that international players travelling to UK red list countries where players now only have to spend 5 days in the team bubble on return rather than 10 days in quarantine. They same rule could be applied to Scarlets and Dragons.

As you said it would be a big advantage for Munster, but I wouldn't count any chickens just yet.

If they can get the Premier League deal then that would sort the problem, otherwise the downside is having the South Africans taking an unscheduled trip to Europe, for just 2 games... The upside is they'll get fans in the turnstiles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Munster are due to play Wasps in the UK in the first round of the Champions cup though. Would the 10 days quarantine not apply to people that arrived from a other countries after being in SA in the previous 10 days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

Something has to give and currently that looks very likely that the SA Teams will play their home games in Europe.

Could they base themselves in an independent republic and use a ground there ;)

Now that's one I never thought about. Very good point. I suppose it all depends on the UK government. I wouldn't mind a late November/early December unscheduled trip to Italy though.

It looks like SA will be removed from the UKs red list in the next 10 days, so 10 days quarantine will no longer be needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭timothydec77

To be honest i would go a South African teams game if they played in Cork.

I think many others would too.

I think a lot of people would.

I fully understand why Cork gets no big games, and this season very few games at all, from a ticket sales point of view, but from a brand management point of view it's bad business.

In my own opinion Munster Rugby Brand is not so week that it would it would be treatened by a two or three matches played in a unusal times. The only thing it would do is attract people like myself that dont travel to Limerick for URC games.

Post edited by timothydec77 on

Munster have been struggling for the last decade, not just to win things, but to sell out ordinary league matches and to develop local talent. For example, Limerick hasn't produced a decent international standard forward since Dave Kilcoyne left school over 10 years ago, this is despite Limerick unarguably being the primary base for Munster rugby (all the big matches and the training base is there now). For whatever reason, the game appears to be decline in North Munster (Clare haven't produced an international forward since Horan and North Tipp haven't produced an international forward since Donnacha Ryan, iirc). Yes, there's a handful of backs coming through, but outside of Casey, Healy and Goggin (and maybe Nash) are any getting gametime?

what has that to do with Cork/South Munster? Well, unlike North Munster, Cork has actually produced a few International forwards recently, Coombes and Wycherley, but while schools like Bandon are improving, one of the big rugby schools in Cork, CBC, is actually turning into a hurling school (same thing happened Ardscoil in Limerick). If young players can't get to big matches easily it's easier for other sports to poach them. We are in such dire straits in North Munster we should actually be trying to preserve the gains we made in South Munster. I don't think a one-off game in PuC would fix things either tbh. Munster rugby is a broke and (from the outside looking in) badly run organisation. Underage rugby in Munster is such poor health Cork Con tried to join the u20 comps in Leinster, afaik.

People on here don't seem to see that Munster as an organisation are no longer the institution they were a decade ago. there's no interest on here as to how Munster could win back fans or add new fans (lots of jersey talk though, for some bizarre reason). We are propped up by SA forwards on money from corporate backers and Leinster products like Carbery etc. I'm not losing interest but I consider myself as an exception amongst the group of lads who used to go to matches. The interest levels in Munster generally seem to be down. Being back on RTE is massive for the hype, imo.

You'd think fans would be more concerned about the state of the sport in Munster but as long as they get to wear their jerseys, call the players by the nicknames (lads, you don't know them, they aren't your mates) and go on drinking trips to Italy the average fan on here doesn't seem to care.

I agree with most of what you have to say.

Thanks for your more detailed response.

The Munster Organisation seems hell bent on focusing everything in Limerick. No amount of discussion will change that.

I still have the suspiscion that Munster will not waste a crisis and will use Covid to bring about changes that they had in there mind for years. What those plans are will only be shown in time.

The Munster Branch are based in Musgrave Park in Cork. They will continue to be based there in the future. They will begin construction of a €2.8m training center at Musgrave Park next year. They are in talks to open centers of excellence around the province in the coming years. The branch has many problems, but to say it's hell bent on focusing everything is Limerick is complete rubbish.

i sincerely doubt the are competent enough to have some deep Machiavellian plan for Munster rugby. It's far, far more likely they are (or were for the last decade) inept.

Only time will tell.

I have been wrong in the past and i will be wrong in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Munster have one of the largest stadiums in the league. Exclude Edinburgh and their use of Murrayfield their is only 5 or 6 if even that with stadiums as big as Munsters. Not completely selling out the stadium all the time isnt the worst thing to be fair

Munster have been producing players. Nowhere near what they did in the previous decade of course but theyre still producing players. The issue is they are automatically being compared to that timeframe, which was a very unique probably one off set of players, and to Leinster who have pne of the strongest pre academy structures in rugby in europe/globe.

I wouldnt say the game is in decline in North Munster. Clare is still producing players. We have a first home grown player from Ennis in a long time to come through in Ethan Coughlan(and there is more coming through Ennis and hopefully we will see at higher level soon enough. Most of the other players who you would say are Clare, still attended Munchins(schools Limerick), played club rugby with a club based in the city. Wood, Foley etc.

Tipperary still is producing players, some arent internationals yes but some may in time - Ben Healy looks to be a very good player.

CBC isnt turning into a hurling school. Yes its playing hurling to a high level but CBC is a school of 800-900 in the secondary school and there is still a major emphasis on rugby as primary sport. Numbers playing rugby in the school arent exactly decreasing. Still fielding 4/5 teams at first year. 3 at junior/senior levels.

Age grade/underage in Munster isnt actually in poor health. The clubs/youths competitions are stronger than ever and getting more kids playing more games and games of higher quality than before. 20s isnt fantastic but the senior city clubs as well as the Munster branch arent helping allow a competition structure that would allow more clubs field at the age grade.

Advertisement