Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

To normal decent people, one dissident republican criminal terrorist group (PIRA) is the same as another (Real IRA etc.).

That is why people have sympathy for the likes of Mairia Cahill who has been absolutely clear on her apology for involvement and the likes of Sinn Fein who continue to defend the actions of some dissident groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Normal decent people aren't idiots in my experience. Did you step up in history class and shout same regarding all conflicts?

If you refuse to acknowledge different groups I can't have a mature discussion with you.

The history of the IRA is littered with one dissident group succeeding another. The split that led to the PIRA was an example. The labelling "Provisional" should alert you to the nature of their origin as dissidents. Pretending that the PIRA were not a dissident group is a rejection of history.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

That's the problem with selective google searches, you don't get the full story. This is one of the ways that sinister fake news gets spread. Your article is from November 11, 2015, and you conveniently haven't even checked out one from the following day:

"MAIRIA CAHILL HAS said her involvement with an organisation opposed to the PSNI and the Good Friday Agreement was “the wrong thing to do” and a decision which she “deeply regrets’ and is “deeply sorry” for."

"Speaking to RTÉ, Cahill said she joined the organisation in 2010 having been at a “very difficult point in my life” when “every aspect” of her abuse came back to her having watched a documentary about the abuse of Aine Adams.

Cahill said her life “went into a spiral”, describing joining the RNU as “completely the wrong thing to do”. She discussed how she had been suicidal and self-harmed."

It is not like she was involved for decades either as the article talks about "her involvement with the RNU for a number of months in 2010".

Rather than being a "gotcha" moment for those who dislike FG, the whole Mairia Cahill story is an exposure of the horrific nature of the PIRA and of the republican movement in all its guises. Those who attack Mairia Cahill for her few months of involvement following on from her survival of republican abuse yet defend the actions of Sinn Fein and the PIRA need to take a long hard look at themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Up At Fleecies

Lol, I will hardly be the only one that is noticing blanches attempt to attach the label "dissident" to the Provos to try and lump them in with the actual dissidents. Let me help you blanch, when you see the words "dissident" it is there to describe the various groups of republicans that rejected the Good Friday Agreement, this is a deliberate attempt to try and muddy the waters.

You do remember the GFA Blanch, right?

Let me predict now what's in the process of about to start happening, with the writing on the wall, Shinners being the largest party in the Dail, and most likely to be so too after the next election with an even larger seat share....

Blanch is on the cusp of now normalising "terrorism and violence" so long as it's pre - 1969. This is despite him having countless posts in the style of "all violence was wrong" , it's coming folks, remember I told you first.

He's absolutely crapping himself and I'm loving every minute of the hypocritical bull sh1t😁

The IRA that signed up to the GFA are not responsible for Lyra McKee's killing. To try say, 'ah sure they're all the same' is not factual.

You have a dissident you like. Fair enough. Fact is Fine Gael have more association with Republican dissidents than Sinn Fein. I can't see Sinn Fein putting any one of them forward for a senate position even if they say sorry.

They gifted her the senate seat even though she had been a Dissident Republican opposed to the GFA. Let's go back to the start. It was suggested Sinn Fein would know the names of the dissidents responsible for any criminality since the GFA. Fact is Fine Gael and one of their senators would have a better idea.

And your article is from the 12th, the day after. She was pressurised into explaining herself by the questions asked by David Norris in the Seanad.

She was in the PIRA, her father claims to have recruited Gerry Adams. Are you going to hold her and her family to account as terrorists. Why are you giving her a free pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

When all else fails, there is always Maria Cahill to fall back on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

Well to be fair, when you tried steer the conversation towards purposely mixing up dissidents actions post Good Friday Agreement with the IRA pre Good Friday Agreement, you should hardly be surprised if Maira Cahals name pops up, it was an enormous own goal by the Fine Gael and Labour Government appointing her to Seanad Éireann I'm not sure what else Enda Kenny and Joan Burton thought was going to happen when her dissident background was inevitably revealed.

Her dissident background high level exposure started with David Norris from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

It wasn't really an own goal by FG. It was Labour who pushed her forward. The obsession with FG is really incredible

It's an awful situation when you have a potential public representative in the North unable to run because they are afraid for their life and their families, yet we have people on here banging about the PIRA don't exist anymore. I didn't hear Sinn Fein come out at any stage to support her? or say she is safe?

David Norris was critical of Cahill because she wouldn't answer question in regards to her potential knowledge of a murder in Belfast. She should have gone to the family and talked to them. She lost her seat over that.

Yet we have the same carry on with Sinn Fein, Mary Lou lying on live TV, TD's lying about people and refusing to apologise until forced by the media. Yet what did Sinn Fein do over that?

I see you doing this on other threads, it seems to be a common trait of yours, where a poster will write something, and you are either lacking in reading skills to understand what they actually wrote, or you deliberately misinterpreted what was said.

I did not say it was a FG own goal, I said, it was an enormous own goal by the FG and Labour government who were in place at the time which they were, if you would stop spinning what people wrote, it would save people going over old ground correcting you.

Obviously it is "an awful situation" in the north (I'm originally from there by the way, I actually grew up in South Armagh in the middle of the troubles, so feel I am immeasurably more qualified to comment on this than those of you whom have not lived there) where people can't run. It's a two way street though, in case you haven't already noticed there's a constant and repetitive dissident threat to Sinn Fein MLA and councillors too. Obviously I cannot say Maira Cahill has ever been involved in this, but the group's she associated herself with have.

I have no idea what the rest of your post is about (and having seen you get shreds torn off you when your own lack of knowledge on things you pretend to be on top of, won't be surprised if you don't either) and will only ask what murder has Mary Lou McDonald knowledge of?

From what I'm reading above you seem to be directly comparing Cahill's knowledge of a murder and McDonald "lying about people" holy ghost.

So the response is "You don't read good?", the point of boards is to discuss the post and not the poster. If you have an issue with me contact the mods, snide comments on posts trying to insult my intelligence is not what boards is about.

I haven't misinterpreted anything , As I posted it was a Labour nomination for the Seanad, not a FG one. It was a new coalition and it wouldnt be a great start if FG reject the Labour nomination for the Seanad? do you not think?

The "I lived in the North" might work with some people, not for me. I will leave you to guess why. If you lived/live in Armagh then you should be aware of Paul Quinn and his murder, the issues after, very similar situation to the one Mairia Cahill found herself in.

Mairia Cahill is afraid of her life from the PIRA, the PIRA which Sinn Fein were/are the political wing for. Sinn Fein have never come out once and said she has no fear and the PIRA will not attack her, something which any normal party would do if it was even suggested.

As I posted it was a Labour nomination for the Seanad, not a FG one. It was a new coalition and it wouldnt be a great start if FG reject the Labour nomination for the Seanad? do you not think?

new coalition? Cahill's nomination came in mid November 2015 more than 4 years after the "new coalition" came into being, and 3 months before it ended... You truly haven't a clue what you are talking about.

Mairia Cahill is afraid of her life from the PIRA, the PIRA which Sinn Fein were/are the political wing for. Sinn Fein have never come out once and said she has no fear and the PIRA will not attack her, something which any normal party would do if it was even suggested.

Where can I read up on these claims?

Nice selective copy & paste. You are correct on the Mairia one, I thought she was nominated prior to that, my mistake. She is still a Labour nomination, not sure why we need to drag in FG but thats the way on the SF thread I suppose

Where can you read up on the claims? the internet. One of the many articles: https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/mairia-cahill-ive-had-to-move-home-four-times-and-now-fear-for-my-safety-30691626.html

No mention of Paul Quinn? you forgot to quote that section.

Don't worry we can all make mistakes, and unfortunately you seem to have made another one.

Where in the article you provided does any of this get mentioned?

She's been subjected to online abuse apparently, "trolls" in other words.

I might not get back to you until later today as I have other things to attend to in my professional experience life, but when you are ready let me know.

It seems you never, ever learn from your all too often mistakes.

As I said that was an example but I guess you ignored that part. Plenty more

Plus you forgot to copy this section, maybe a mistake:

The Belfast woman now claims that the man she alleges abused her is following her on social media.

She said: "I have no way of knowing if that actually is him or not, but the effect has been devastating.

"I assume it is him because the account has been up since 2012. I am getting to the point where I am afraid to lift the phone.

The point here as you are aware is all during this Sinn Fein have done nothing.

I will leave you to it now as you seem more interested in comments about me than discussing the topic.

She has apologised for her role and as I pointed out in my last post

"MAIRIA CAHILL HAS said her involvement with an organisation opposed to the PSNI and the Good Friday Agreement was “the wrong thing to do” and a decision which she “deeply regrets’ and is “deeply sorry” for."

Any Sinn Fein representative and/or PIRA member who also concedes that the PIRA terrorist campaign was the wrong thing to do and that they deeply regret their support and involvement with it and are deeply sorry will also get a free pass from me. I will apply the same standards to them.

This reminds me of another article:

"Her party leader and Tánaiste Joan Burton today hit out at the people who have levelled abuse at Cahill on social media in recent times, saying it was “almost on demonic basis”:

The campaign that has been waged against her on a continuous basis does absolutely no service to political discussion and democracy in this country and the kind of online warriors who have carried out an absolutely unprecedented campaign of vilification, I think some of them should pause to consider what the impact of that may be."

Those words of Joan Burton ring ever more true today whenever a SF defender brings up Mairia Cahill.

More nonsense.

Mairia Cahill was briefly involved with dissidents for a period of several months in 2010, something which she deeply regrets. It seems to use your own words "you are either lacking in reading skills to understand what they actually wrote, or you deliberately misinterpreted what was said" in the newspaper reports when you link her to threats to Sinn Fein MLAs.

Given that you claim to be from South Armagh, maybe you would give Conor Murphy a call and get him to tell the Gardai and PSNI what he knows about Paul Quinn, and in particular, who he spoke to about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Up At Fleecies

Why dont you throw up one of the many examples that might back up your claim Dudley?

did you even read what you posted lol?

The Belfast woman now claims that the man she alleges abused her is following her on social media.

She said: "I have no way of knowing if that actually is him or not, but the effect has been devastating.

that's an epic shift in position from " the IRA are threatening her life " to someone is trolling her, and she's not even sure who it is.

Dudley and the haymakers sounds like an epic folk band name btw. 😝

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BackOfMyBag

might be time for you to eat humble pie blanch , looky here .....

It seems to use your own words "you are either lacking in reading skills to understand what they actually wrote, or you deliberately misinterpreted what was said" in the newspaper reports when you link her to threats to Sinn Fein MLAs.

that poster kellly said the opposite to that here it is

It's a two way street though, in case you haven't already noticed there's a constant and repetitive dissident threat to Sinn Fein MLA and councillors too. Obviously I cannot say Maira Cahill has ever been involved in this, but the group's she associated herself with have.

I haven't said they are all the same, but the facts are that the PIRA are/were (depending on whether you believe they continue to exist) dissident republicans.

Dancing on heads of a pin, that is equivalent to saying "I don't believe X is a rapist, but...."

The slimy way the link is made makes it even more sinister.

Mairia Cahill's has a restraining order against a former partner named Stephen Altimas. That is who she is afraid of and why she did not want her address published. Nothing to do with her former membership of the PIRA or threats from them.

''Ms Cahill - who had been co-opted onto Lisburn and Castlereagh City Council in 2018 - had intended to stand for re-election but said she was unable to do so because of the legal requirement to publish her home address. She has an indefinite restraining order in place in order to protect her from an individual, and publishing her address would have put her at risk.''

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2016/09/20/news/former-partner-of-mairia-cahill-bailed-on-charge-of-breaching-restraining-order-701434/

She apologised for her role after David Norris took Labour and her to task over it in the Seanad, demanding to know about her paramilitary involvement past which she was refusing to do up to that.

I don't know what Labour were thinking of parachuting her in from nowhere without asking any questions about her past. Some Labour politicians were not too happy about it either from what I recall. Similarly from the SDLP. What were they thinking of? The woman is obviously troubled from many directions and probably needed help.

It seems that some posters on here seem to know more about Mairia Cahill than Mairia Cahill herself. Stephen Altimas is one sinister figure, but

"Madam Justice Denise McBride at Belfast's high court was also told Ms Cahill has now been subjected to online trolling by other internet users."

It's "haymaker" this and "haymaker" that, do you all have to copy each other.

It's called google, I made the assumption everyone can use it. If you want to jump around and twist comments then off you go. I have little interest in it. You seem to be ok with accusing this women of lying

I specifically said that there was no indication she was involved in that's to others lives, but the group's she has had association with have. That's an undeniable fact for goodness sake!

As for the Conor Murphy line, I don't know the man, and I've no interest in contacting him because some obsessive on the internet, with a tendency to spin yarns wants me to.

I'm not even what you could consider a "Sinn Fein voter" , but I can spot hypocritical lies a mile away.

You're now reduced to Cahill apologised. No doubt you were as forgiving towards the IRA and loyalist groups anytime one of them said sorry too.

• Advertisement

We have yet to hear from Sinn Fein to condemn their online supporters or that her life is safe. Would you not think a political party would do that?

Another assumption so?

How many incorrect "assumptions" is that you've made today?

Advertisement