Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

What's with having a stab at my personality and then attempting to redirect the conversation into another topic?

Why did you dive in on 2-3 year olds? Report outlines at the beginning that the CDC recommends universal indoor masking by students, staff members, faculty, and visitors in kindergarten through grade 12 (K–12) schools, regardless of vaccination status, to reduce transmission of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. Going by that it would appear but it is not conclusive that the study focused on kindergarten and beyond, which is generally speaking 5 year olds plus.

The multiple reasons referenced by HIQA are fairly questionable, but I'd imagine you'd prefer drift into silence rather than discussing them on a public platform just in case the reasoning is exposed as deeply skewed.

(b) I suppose I'm just interested in why Seanergy is so interested in children wearing masks when there are bigger health issues facing children than a disease that the vast VAST majority of children are not affected by. Do they have a professional interest in the topic? Just strikes me as strange, they continually post links on here in relation to masking kids without comment.

I don't believe that you are "just interested" or else you would not have said "Do they have a professional interest in the topic?". Having a good go at my personality and activity in thread aren't you whilst not engaging with any of the post links.

Explain to me the purpose of someone posting a study on kids wearing masks from Arizona, without context or comment? Does the sight of unmasked, rosy cheeked children send some people into an incandescent rage or something? All very odd if you ask me. Time to move on lads.

Still at it with the unanswerabe questions(how can another poster explain to you the purpose of another posters posts) whilst injecting "very odd" references at me and then thinking that you can call a time to move on. Far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

You're right, I'm not going to get into a debate with someone questioning the medical opinion of HIQA, which was also reviewed by NPHET. Or are we not trusting the science now?

Indeed. Speaking of which, large study into masking wearing from Bangladesh which included a control group:

Essentially cloth masks worthless, surgical masks 11% decrease in symptomatic covid with antibodies. I'll let ye decide if 11% is statistically significant. The way some people claim on here, you'd swear masks are an unstoppable force field for viruses.

• Advertisement

The HSE lead for IPC may well use that for an excuse in the future.

New plan sets out steps to end mass testing for Covid, starting with children.

It also notes that in addition to the impact on schoolchildren, the negative impacts of the current testing regime include delays in access to healthcare, undermining years of work encouraging self-care of viral respiratory tract infections, the uncomfortableness and inconveniences for many people of testing, the cost to the health service, and the environmental impacts of mass testing.

It's not the medical opinion of HIQA that I am questioning it's the quality of the input on the subject of masks for under-13's by the Expert Advisory Group who present to HIQA that I question.

There were 3 key findings in the review by Public Health Ontario, but only one was presented to HIQA by the EAG.

The other two key findings that were not presented were

- several studies found that mask mandates in schools have been associated with lower incidence

- adherence to mask policies was typically high in children (53–97%) and uptake increased with age

The overlooked conclusion from this French study which was not presented by the EAG to HIQA.

The overlooked conclusion from this American study was not presented by the EAG to HIQA.

This data is sketchy at best, but a harmful picture is painted by the EAG none the less.

It's worth noting that 3% of injuries were attributable to falls secondary to bending over to pick up a dropped mask (all elderly patients, 150 in total).

Very young children will always stick things into bodily orifices just as the elderly will sometimes fall over when bending over.

• Advertisement

HIQA submitted the report to NPHET on the 24th of August with the 20th of September being the published date.

Some primary schools are in week 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Masks work to reduce transmission... even in remote Bangladeshi villages

Note that surgical masks here refers to the 'blue' disposable masks.

A voluntary scheme which did not reach majority levels of mask use led to 9 percent reduction in cases.

That seems significant - so if mask wearing had reached 60 or 90 percent would we see double or triple levels of case reduction? Or even more due to positive feedback loop?

Considering the cost and impact of masks versus other measures, other than vaccines, is there a better bang for buck measure than masks?

So masks work to reduce transmission - in Bangladeshi villages, in Arizona schools, in Australian cities... to cite some recent studies referenced on this thread.

Excerpt:

This ultimately tripled mask usage, from only 13% in control villages to 42% in villages where it was encouraged... The team found that the number of symptomatic cases was lower in treatment villages than in control villages. The decrease was a modest 9%, but the researchers suggest that the true risk reduction is probably much greater, in part because they did no SARS-CoV-2 testing of people without symptoms or whose symptoms did not meet the World Health Organization’s definition of the disease.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02457-y

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Face mask fit modifications that improve source control performance.

METHODS: The effectiveness of mask fit modifications was determine d by conducting fit tes t s on human subjects and simulator manikins and by pe rformi ng simulated coughs and ex hala tions usi ng a source contro l measuremen t system.

RESULTS: Medical masks without modificati on blocked ≥56% of cough aerosols and ≥42% of exhaled aerosols. Modifying fit by crossing the earloops or placing a bracket under the mask did not increase performance , while using earloop toggles, an earloop strap, and knotting and tucking the mask increased performance. The most effective modifications for improving source control performance were double masking and using a mask brace. Placing a cloth mask over a medical mask blocked ≥85% of cough aerosols and ≥91% of exhaled aerosols. Placing a brace over a medical mask blocked ≥95% of cough aerosols and ≥99% of exhaled aerosols.

CONCLUSION: Fit modifications can greatly improve the performance of face masks as source control devices for respira ory aerosols.

No acknowledgement of the effectiveness of cloth masks from the study then? Does the Arizona study indicate what types of masks were used in the schools?

You linked a 93 page study on Bangladesh but you cant google arizona mask mandates? I havent found anything to indicate they require higher level masks ie cloth accepted.

The Bangladesh study linked surgical masks with an 11% drop in risk, compared with a 5% drop for cloth - and I repeat this was a voluntary scheme and masks were never mandatory or in majority use.

So we have a low cost, low impact measure than reduces cases.

Some masks are better than others so perhaps you think we should have mandated at least surgical masks rather than cloth masks. Who knows from your hit and run posts.

We have come along way from the start of this thread when the anti maskers said the masks were going to kill us. Now its about gauging the extent of the benefits of masks, and which masks are more effective.

On the psychology and politics of wearing masks.

Throughout the covid pandemic, there has been a constant concern that the public would be the weak point in the response—either unwilling or psychologically unable to abide by the measures necessary to control the spread of infection. 

Sometimes, this concern has been expressed in specific (and racist) cultural terms. The freedom-loving British public, according to the government and others, would not wear the measures accepted by more conformist Asian societies. [1] In particular, we would not wear masks as (say) the Chinese are accustomed to do.....

All in all, then, the bottom line is that it is still wrong to use the growing, but still small minority who are refusing masks to obscure the large minority who are not, or to assume that public “fatigue” is a reason to abandon protective policies. It is not only wrong, but dangerous since, as I have previously argued and as ever more research shows, people’s assumptions about others mask-wearing (and adherence more generally) influences their own behaviour. Indeed, even if individuals believe in the importance of masks, they won’t wear them if they think others are not. .....

Perhaps most critically of all, policy and messaging are not separate things. Policy is messaging. It indicates the importance of a behaviour. That is why exhortations to wear masks in the summer of 2020 had little effect until legislation was introduced (leading, as we have seen, to compliance rocketing from some 20% to some 90%). But likewise, the removal of mask requirements sent a message in the opposite direction. If we want to enhance mask-wearing we need an alignment of government comms, government actions and government policy.....

What is more, these meanings have become highly politicised in some places. In an era of resurgent populism, the right have used masks as a core symbol of elite oppression. Masks become muzzles. [19] The requirement to wear masks becomes an act of silencing. The success of this narrative is reflected in the way that use of masks associates negatively with Trump voting in the US and with Brexit voting in the UK. [20,21].....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,892 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Exactly, it's contrarianism all the way. I've also noticed that the argument has modified from "masks are bad for us" to "masks don't work" to "masks aren't that effective" to "here's a study from some remote place that shows masks don't 100% stop Covid"

Every health authority in the world has advocated masks, and every study has shown they reduce the spread of Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Well to be a bit closer to the truth lets say that every study has made claims that cannot be disproven since they refrain from making any concrete claims. In other words: Ye masks help or they should help, shouldn't they?, they couldnt actually make it worse, could they? so ye let's settle on 'they help'. (Shouldn't they?) But by how much or how little no one can say. So lets be on the safe side and not make any concrete claims but infer its obviously huuuuge.

It doesn't need to be inferred, the health bodies making the decisions will be aware of the consensus of studies and will make decisions based on that and their own dynamic situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭political analyst

The difference is that hand-washing, as well as being basic hygiene, is also basic decency after using the toilet.

• Advertisement

And wearing a mask in a respiratory virus pandemic is basic hygiene, and basic decency.

Unless you just have a problem with masks, and this was your indirect pretext for objecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭political analyst

I wasn't objecting to masks. My point is that the wearing of masks in non-medical settings has not been considered necessary in Western countries until recently. So why should it remain after vaccination of the general population is completed? Having said that, I consider that wearing a mask at an airport or on a plane or in a barber's shop (as well as in a hospital or a GP surgery) is something that can be lived with indefinitely.

Well that's an interesting point about wearing masks in specific 'high risk' settings into the future.

In relation to your main query, I think if we were dealing with the 'alpha' variant of covid, masks would be gone already as mandatory in shops, buses etc. Part of the reason why it's considered necessary is how easily this disease spreads, even in non winter weather it was threatening hospital capacity.

We still have 1000+ cases a day, a lot of restrictions have been lifted - schools are back, people returning to offices and so more mixing. I think it would be unwise at this point to get rid of such a low impact measure as masks until we let this phase of mixing burn through.

Keeping masks in such essential places as shops and public transport makes them a safer space for those who even vaccinated are more vulnerable to covid. But I assume it is being kept under review here - alongside number of cases, hospital capacity.

Some health authorities have lifted mask mandates. At this stage it is to some extent a judgment call by the authorities looking at their specific circumstances of cases, hospitalisations etc - Whereas before vaccination rollout it was almost unanimous from health authorities re: the need for masks (eventually).

So I don't see mask mandates being kept indefinitely - except for the more limited settings specified along the lines you have noted.

Covid: Derbyshire school outbreak sees 18 teachers absent

It is unclear how many pupils, of which the school has about 2,000, are currently absent.

Copy of a letter sent to many Cork schools this month. Far-right Anti-Mask/Vax group directly threatening Principals & school staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There has been a lot of madness during this but that is way out on its own. It's a piss poor manifesto and the Eire gives it away! Not right wing at all! They reserve the right to say it's your fault?! And why has it taken them till 3 weeks before we see some level of normality to "take action"?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,447 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Currently in the gym with about 60 other people. All maskless, all using the same equipment but if I want to stop at the shop on the way home I've to mask up.

Explain.

Last I read, those in the gym have been vaccinated or have recovered from Covid within 6 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,447 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Advertisement