Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red light devices.

• 20-09-2021 12:53pm

Hi so I want to invest in a red light device. I found 3 that im interested in, the mitopro 1500, the biomax900 and an irish company lumired and their 1500 pro model. All these are "full body so generally the same height. Im interested in the best most powerful product. I dont know that much bout this stuff so hoping someone can help. Which is the best/most powerful. The irish one is in ireland and only 900 though it is the least established and has least reviwes. The other two are american so you take into account shipping etc and im not sure if they have duties tax, does anyone know or where i can go to find out? If anyone has any or understands this stuff which is the best and worth getting? Its expensive so i only want to buy it once.

I cant post links so just google biomax 900, mitopro1500

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Would you not just buy a red light bulb and sit in your jocks with the curtains drawn, for all the good it would do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

I think you need red light at specific wavelength 620-750 nm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

LMFAO. That's literally all red light.

Any shorter and its orange light. Any longer and it's infrared and invisible.

https://sciencenotes.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Visible-Light-Spectrum.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I haven't came across the Lumnired one before, but looks OK depending on build quality. I didn't look at the others.

It is duel wave.

For better results use duel wave length 660nm and 850nm, for superficial and deep benefits.

630 to 680nm is only for superficial areas.

The dosage of the therapy, is the amount of energy received by one area of your body, which is measured in Joules per square centimetre (J/cm2). The recommended therapeutic dose by current literature varies, but it generally falls between

3 J/cm2 and 50 J/cm2.

When treating skin issues you only need a light dose (3 - 15 J/cm2)

whereas for deeper tissues a stronger dose (10 J/cm2 - 60 J/cm2) may be required.

In order to calculate the dose of your session, it's important that you purchase your device from a reputable company that provides you with some additional specifications, such as the power density of the device.

To work out Power density, also known as irradiance, is the intensity of light that your device will emit. It is important to note that the distance between your body and your device will have an impact on the irradiance. Be sure to use a device that comes with a list of irradiances at varying distances, so you can work out your correct dosage.

Dosage calculations.

As an example, using the one I use MyLight Midi from Mychondria which has an irradiance of 108.07 mW/cm2 at 6 inches:

Dose per minute = 108.07 mW/cm2 x 60 (seconds) x 0.001

= 6.48 J/cm2 per minute

This means you could achieve a dose of 26 J /cm2 in ~4 minutes or a

dosage of 97 J /cm2 in ~15 minutes.

Dose = Power Density x Time x 0.001

• Advertisement

There's no doubt that full spectrum sunlight is hugely beneficial, when it's shinning and you can avail of it.

The benefits of red-light is you don't burn or get the UV, and you can use it locally if desired

How long to receive the same dose by being in the sunlight.

First of let me say I'm certainly no expert in RLT, I have a few devices that I use most personally and on occasion on others. So I asked a mate who is far more qualified on the subject than I am. This was his reply.

There is no clear answer to your question as you would have take into account factors like the time of the day, time of the year, latitude, size of skin exposed, whether it was clear sunshine etc.

It's is also hard to compare as the light panal are usually only 2 frequencies 660nm and 850nm where as the sun is full spectrum.

That said, there are two ways to do this.

The first is to compare the light intensity of sunlight and the devices at the exact same wavelengths of light (660/850nm). When you do it this way, it is actually a bit unfair to the sun, because the sun's full red/NIR light is made up of a lot more than just these 2 wavelengths. If we did it this way you'd get an answer somewhere around:

"1 minute of red light therapy = 12 hours 5 minutes of sunlight"

Obviously we need to take into account the full spectrum of red/NIR light from the sun, but in doing this we actually give a slight disadvantage to red light therapy now! Remember, red light therapy uses the key frequencies of red/NIR which are shown to have the greatest impact on energy production within your cells.

Nevertheless, by the time sunlight reaches the Earth's surface, it has an irradiance in the red/NIR range of 42 mW/cm2*. When you compare this with a MyLight Midi (108.07mW/cm2), we end up with:

"1 minute of red light therapy = 2 minute 35 seconds of sunlight"

*based on a 42% component of red/NIR light and full irradiance of 100 mW/cm2 of sunlight at the Earth's surface.

In summary, when you compare the specific wavelengths of light that have the greatest impact on your cells, red light therapy is far superior to any other source. In a more fair comparison, though, you are getting around 2.5x more red/NIR light from your red light therapy device than the sun, but you should always remember that natural sunlight is still a vital part of a healthy lifestyle.

Hope that answers your question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭JayRoc

. ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Jesus christ I hate the new boards. Months since the downgrade and you still can't delete a post made in error???

Thanks for the reply. I understand your not an expert, but you seemed to have a grasp of the numbers. Was trying to just get a sense of scale.

There is no clear answer to your question as you would have take into account factors like the time of the day, time of the year, latitude, size of skin exposed, whether it was clear sunshine etc.

yes, you’ll get far less in winter than summer, or in Italy vrs Ireland. That’s a given. Was think in terms of clear midday in Ireland.

It's is also hard to compare as the light panal are usually only 2 frequencies 660nm and 850nm where as the sun is full spectrum.

I was think just in terms of the intensity of that range, but understand If we exclude 659 and 661nm we’re measuring very little.

The first is to compare the light intensity of sunlight and the devices at the exact same wavelengths of light (660/850nm). When you do it this way, it is actually a bit unfair to the sun, because the sun's full red/NIR light is made up of a lot more than just these 2 wavelengths. If we did it this way you'd get an answer somewhere around:

"1 minute of red light therapy = 12 hours 5 minutes of sunlight"

I see what you mean by being unfair. That sort of comparison would be great for a marketing dept :)

Obviously we need to take into account the full spectrum of red/NIR light from the sun, but in doing this we actually give a slight disadvantage to red light therapy now! Remember, red light therapy uses the key frequencies of red/NIR which are shown to have the greatest impact on energy production within your cells.

Nevertheless, by the time sunlight reaches the Earth's surface, it has an irradiance in the red/NIR range of 42 mW/cm2*. When you compare this with a MyLight Midi (108.07mW/cm2), we end up with:

"1 minute of red light therapy = 2 minute 35 seconds of sunlight"

*based on a 42% component of red/NIR light and full irradiance of 100 mW/cm2 of sunlight at the Earth's surface.

makes sense.

In summary, when you compare the specific wavelengths of light that have the greatest impact on your cells, red light therapy is far superior to any other source. In a more fair comparison, though, you are getting around 2.5x more red/NIR light from your red light therapy device than the sun, but you should always remember that natural sunlight is still a vital part of a healthy lifestyle.

Hope that answers your question

Fantastic answer, thank you

Can you get me any recommendations bud? Suffering hard here. id get biomax but i dont know how to calculate customs and stuff

If you're looking for a bigger panal like the Lumired 1500, I'd say go with that one. It seems to be reasonable value, considering its Irish based you'll have some come back should anything go wrong.

Wondering if any tanning salon offering red & collage lights tanning in Ireland ?

Do you know for the most part are they all the same mito biomax rouge and the one i posted, same job like? I dont care bout it for skin i want mine or inflammation and pain.

Mitopro claim to have an irradiance of 130nW/cm2 @ 6"

Biomax 900 claim to have 185nW/cm2 @6"

Lumired claim to have 125nW/cm2 @6".

So the Biomax appears to be the strongest one.

But all that means is you would have to use it for a shorter time or have the the weaker device closer to the skin or a longer time to get get the same dosage of joules./cm2

They're all emitting 660nm and 850nm range of red red light. Which is the range you're looking for.

Below is a good read and might give you a better understanding of how RLT also known as Photobiomodulation works.

Hope that helps you

Post edited by Ceepo on

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DrJana

Hi, I could recommend high powered red light therapy panels from swiss company www.alpinglow.ch . High quality and power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Not in Ireland but The Red Light man. Based in the UK. He explains the light and the different uses. You might want to check there.

Advertisement