Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake off 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭Poochie05

At least there is a decent standard this year, unlike last year that I thought they were all pretty poor. And we have seen the showstopper can completely reverse the fortunes of someone who had poor previous rounds, so it looks like it carries a lot of weighting.

I like Jurgen and agree Lizzie is annoying. So is Crystelle but hopefully as she settles in she’ll lose the nervous laughs and general annoyingness, from her showstopper, I reckon she could be there for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the issue with the judging is that, for viewers, we aren't tasting the food. Even if it might seem like the judges are being harsher in the moment about one contestant than another, when trying to make the decision they might decide "Actually, in comparison, Person X's was worse."

I think the showstopper does carry more weight, but ultimately the judges are simply going to send home who they think did the worst overall, and that's going to come down to metrics that the audience have no basis to determine as we can't taste the food, regardless of how Paul/Prue may verbalise their opinion of it, or how critical they're being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Good point.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I thought Tom wouold be leaving, he didn't do very well in any of the tasks. Even though he probably wasn't the worst in all of them, he wasn't great either and his showstopper was held together with dowels from the outset...and still didn't look gravity defying. I think the right person went, it's hard to pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

Biscuit week..... cuppa and sponge cake ready, enjoy everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,174 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

God I'd love a freshly made sandwich biscuit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Not surprised he left, think he was on borrowed time from last week.

Amanda's horse was just too funny.

As much as Maggie annoys me I did feel sorry for her as she was visibly upset.

Again Jurgen and Freya having strong weeks and Guissepi (sp) too ,Chigs snooker table also v well done.

Agree with who went.

Think its gonna be a battle between italy and germany this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭Xander10

Decent standard so early on.

Probably the last of the reality TV I'm still watching. Gone off strictly, Too many egos between judges and pro dances.

I stopped watching strictly and dancing on ice a few years ago, too much flaffing about. Zero interest in hearing how hard their life is during training sessions.

I used to just fast forward all that, but then even that became a chore.

Between that and the term "celebrity" was getting looser each year I just gave up!

• Advertisement

The engineer out engineered by the physicist. The two presenters are great, the Cypriot love child joke was great, Prue needs to lighten up.

Anybody feel like there is too much given away at each episode intro?

Yes I do! I absolutely hate spoilers so never watch that part or the bit at the end for next week

If im watching live i mute it and look away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭Xander10

I do the same. Taken to record it to skip tru them bits and the ad breaks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I rarely remember the winners from the week before, let alone the little teaser 😀

Thought the judges got it right this week, though Giuseppe could have won star baker and I wouldn't have minded that either TBH, based on what we've seen so far its a battle between himself & Jurgen, though as we have seen previously winners rarely shine early on and can come from the pack so you never know, it only takes one bad week to derail a potential champion.

Seriously craved jammy dodgers after that episode though!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I had a pack of jammie dodgers sandwiched jammie biscuits for the episode because I knew I'd be craving them otherwise!! 😂

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I find it funny how they have to avoid any brand names like the Jammy Dodgers or when Lizzie was talking about her apple pie from a fast food chain that would scald your mouth. This was a good week, I had picked J to go, I don't think it could have been anyone else. I don't know if he just wasn't up to it or had a bad week but things just didn't see to go well for him. My heart was in my mouth for Jurgen ringing home again, thinking there'd be no ono home again this week when he was phoning them 😭

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Anyone know why last week's episode isn't on catch up on Sky???

And can't get the C4 app to download, so can't find it anywhere ☹

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Hard to see Jurgen not winning this series.

Oh no! Can you access the All 4 website instead of the app? I've watched it there myself.

He is a very strong contender so far but sometimes somene who starts o9ut strong might falter as things get more difficult so we'll see. I think himself and Giuseppe will go far and maybe Freya too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The woman whose cake collapsed should have gone.

Yes the train was not good but at least it held up.

I suppose the first few rounds is to get rid of the deadwood.

@ebbsy I reckon she might be next to go unless someone else has a terrible week or she improves a bit next week.

I agree, I think his cards were marked from last week.

Though I think they said her horse tasted lovely, can't really remember tbh as I was giggling at the state of it.

They did say it tasted lovely but that it was ambitious of her to try and build something with such a flimsy, light biscuit. They said if she'd managed it, it could have been the best thing they'd seen! If only...😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Bread week coming up.

That always weeds out the weak bakers.

Bread is my favourite. The best bakers will rise to the top 🤗

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I liked the Germanic-ness of how Jürgen called home and when his son answered he said "hello, it's Jürgen".

Not "me", or "Dad", or anything informal. Just "Jürgen".

• Advertisement

Speaking of hot I nearly threw the remote at the tv when they mentioned how hot the tent was.... seriously how many years in are we and they still haven't fixed a known problem.

Guaranteed it will be ice cream week during the heatwave they had during the summer!

Advertisement