Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryder Cup 2020 [Official Thread!]

Options
1505152535456»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The cup was already lost by end of play Saturday, the singles match might have mattered to him, no one can argue against that, and winning reduced the margin of defeat, but fullstop, the pressure was off, he was freed to do what he often does, play well when there is less pressure and expectation.

Listening to Lawrence Donegan on the Last Word yesterday evening, Mcillroy had the worst score of any player competing in this years RC, he was 17 shots worse than Rahm apparently over the same sessions played.

And as for the last bit, this is a discussion forum, and I replied to someone else who was discussing Mcilroy, if you want you post about any of the other 23 players or captains, I’ll reply.

Keano was doing a bit of trolling, not much point in flagging a MOD though. If you feel I took a dig at Mcilroy, surely his play deserved it. If you don’t like it, just ignore it. As for not liking him, I don’t know him, I really don’t think that much about his personality, but I do think he lets himself down regularly on course, so I’m not sure why you, or Keano feel qualified to tell me who I like or don’t like. Both of you are attacking the poster instead of the post.

There seems to be a cohort who get very touchy about criticism of Mcilroy, even though he often deserves it. I’ve never understood why that is, it just derails threads.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

what are the details on who actually payed well in the singles though?

You can win a match not because you play well but because your opponent plays badly or is even unlucky with a few lies and from my recollection Schauffele got a bit of both, some of those bunkers with the grass patches in them were petty stupid really, basically impossible lies

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

all the more reason to have kept it in the fairway then I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Did bryson win the long drive comp?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭dublin49

its amazing the passions this event arouses given it is in effect a novelty event that really doesnt figure when the balance sheet on a players career is being compiled.I know Monty ,Poulter et al were Ryder cup legends but does anyone really believe Tiger's career was diminished by a less than stellar Ryder cup career.Lowry & Rorys tearful reaction to this years event were in my view way over the top .I think Koepka's indifference to the event is much more realistic ,now I accept it can make for great TV and some players get caught up in tension etc but it really IMO should not be high on any pro golfers wishlist as I would imagine later in life they will re assess its importance.

Post edited by dublin49 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

I doubt that will happen tbh. There's not a whole lot they can do really. The Seve trophy or a version of it won't change anything if brought back. Ultimately 103 weeks every two years these guys are self centred, hard nosed pros. Some of the US based Europeans won't even travel home for their national opens if they conflict with the schedule, they're not going to miss a big US event for a Seve Trophy and you can't really hold it in winter in Europe. Maybe have it in the far east or South Africa in December as a bit of an exhibition, but really, the top players are on their down time by then and mostly don't even travel to Hawaii for the PGA Tour season openers. Maybe have it on at the same week as the President's Cup, but would TV allow it ?

I don't doubt the guys' emotions at the end and how disappointed they were, but, without being too cynical, I suspect when a top guy is asked to fly from Orlando to some sh1tbox course in Europe on a week off, for a Seve Trophy against journeymen, to prepare for the Ryder Cup, he'll get over his disappointment fairly quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

And McGinley saying bring back the Seve or Asian trophy as prep event. He is in dreamland. You might get 1 or 2 guys go but reality it is a waste of time.

Shane saying biggest week in his career. He might mean it but how could he pick this exhibition event over his Irish Open, The Open and WGC wins?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Think i saw a tweet that he won a round in it, but not sure if thats winning an event or a single round within an event?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Ah I think Lowry got carried away. He wanted to make the team all along as it’s another career milestone reached for him. He was looking at 2018 and seeing the craic the players had when they whipped the US and wanted to be a part of it. I can’t blame him but I agree the biggest week of his life comment was a bit over the top. Same can be said about his comment about he won’t know how to go back to playing normal events.

These elite pros are so regimental with their approach to each day, week, month and year and everything they do is geared to winning for themselves. Lowry has the GAA background and the whole team ethos is bred into GAA families so I don’t doubt he enjoyed the week and the break away from the normality of his job. That being said, he’ll soon get used to playing by himself again when the PGA season starts back up and he’s battling McIlroy and Garcia in $10m events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

No doubt about that but biggest week in his career. If anyone here had achieved what he has we wouldn't say that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

I wouldn't quite call it a novelty event tbh. Hasn't Rory himself said he was wrong on that ? Just because it doesn't carry prize money or ranking points etc etc doesn't diminish it IMO. Its still two teams trying to win a trophy, which in itself is unusual in an individual sport. I think it sits in its own unique space in golf. Of course Tiger's career isn't any less because of his RC record, but I think there can be a middle ground somewhere. Individual honours will always be top in an individual sport, but it doesn't mean the Ryder Cup doesn't have a place.

I honestly think if the US had 12 Koepkas with his indifference, they'd almost never win it. I think Westwood said it yesterday, that when they're all old men they may cherish more the friendships made in the Ryder Cup rather than the results. So its not as important as Majors or anything, but its still important on a different level than pure results. Meh, I dunno, depends on perspective I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,712 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

You can see all the scoring on the Ryder Cup website.

https://www.rydercup.com/scoring

McIlroy was 3 under for his singles round, Schauffele was 1 under.

it shows its pot luck if you hit someone shooting a lot of birdies you aint gonna win

Finau and Schauffle and Hatton played the worst on the day

Cantlay and Scheffler were machines

For all the talk of Poulter he played pretty ok over the weekend and very well in the singles

• Registered Users Posts: 14,712 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Yes Poulter did play well despite all the criticism.

He was 5 under for the singles and made 4 birdies in the Fourballs, McIlroy left him down in the Foursomes.

it also surely puts in context the nonsense that always follows a Ryder cup loss where the losing side are never ever going to come back and win again and that its a team sport when really only the Foursomes having much of a team element, and the Americans often edge that, and the tactics of the event are a joke when there aren't any and the captains has anything more than a limited role in motivation

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It is a two (or more) day event with qualifying rounds so he did qualify to compete later today (it is currently 10 a.m. Pacific time) ... sometimes these long drive events are shown live on golf channel but this one was not picked up so they were just giving updates on Golf Central. I think I saw a maximum drive of 408 yards by Bryson. He is keeping it in the grid a bit more often than some of those guys. The event is at Mesquite Nevada about an hour outside Las Vegas and the elevation there is probably worth 20-25 yards (it is not all that elevated, maybe 600 meters above sea level). It looked like the guys were hitting with a fairly good tailwind too. Not sure what the top qualifying drives were but Bryson was not the overall leader.

This raises an interesting question in general. This trend towards 350 yard drives on pro tours -- there are dangers involved in that, golf balls coming out of the sky in places where nobody is on alert, such as spectator concession areas or adjacent golf holes. Multiply the risk factor by ten for the average non-professional golf course if we get more recreational players able to do this sort of thing. Already where I play I am seeing evidence of 320 yard drives from guys who probably have very little "game" otherwise so you could assume maybe they don't always hit these very straight either.

It's only a matter of time until there's serious injury or worse at a pro golf event. What if Bryson or someone imitating him goes way off the line of the fairway (as we saw on the weekend) and hits a low screamer by mistake? It would be instant death at that speed. Also I fear for the integrity of many of our established courses if this trend picks up, of course there will be pushback like building high netting to discourage various novelty shots and eventually tall trees closing in on the teeing grounds, but the whole thing seems like a bit of a freak show to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I think it was Ernie who hit a guy at the Open a few years ago with his opening tee shot, smashed his jaw if memory serves me right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Koepka blinded a woman with a stray drive at the Ryder Cup in 2018 also. Now to be fair, it wasn’t that far offline and all four players shouted fore and pointed if I remember correctly. The problem with the big events is there’s so much going on that people won’t hear a shout of fore from 300+ yards away.

Y E Yang nearly killed me in Mt Juliet in 2004. He boned a 3 iron into the long par 5 5th and overshot the green. He shouted fore but with the wind blowing that day I never heard it and it whizzed past my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Live stream for day 2 of the event. Bryson's round hasnt been up yet. All rounds being live streamed on youtube. That's a free youtube link up there and is the official coverage. the commentators for each round are long drivers themselves, so the insights are quite good!

• Advertisement

The trend in driver distance is pretty flat, the odd person bucks the trend, I mean it has gone up maybe 10 - 15 yards despite all the club 'Advancements' in the last 20 years

Not many club golfers are hitting it that far and most that hit long, say 280 those are carry numbers, if you get it over 300 downhill and downwind come into play

By the time the ball has gotten past 200 the speed it is going has tapered off massively, for most it is just falling at that point

Golf balls having been going offline since the game began, and at a pro level landing in spectator areas on loads of occasions and thankfully the numbers of injuries are very low, you can be unlucky like that woman who lost an eye at the french open.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Luis21

They don't have to change much. Just appoint a captain that puts the work in. McGinley and Jose had their pairings picked out from a year out. Generally at least half the team is qualified early. The borderline players can be picks. Harrington kept playing when he should have been watching.

They were doomed to failure.

Advertisement